IYO: Why are mass shootings spiking in the US?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I've been hearing stories of how mass shootings/gun violence if on the rise in 2021. Originally I thought the spike was because of the lifting of COVID restrictions and people are now out on the street. However stats like the following show that wasn't the case.

Shootings Up by 50 Percent or More in 12 U.S. Cities in 2020 (msn.com)

Mass shootings were spiking back in 2019. Before COVID and also before and proposed PD budget cuts. Right wingers are trying to trick people into believing mass shootings are up because of big city budget cuts. Which is blatantly false
A look at cities seeing police budget cuts amid crime surges | Fox News

Here an interesting factoid. Here are the states that have not had mass shootings in 2020
•Hawaii
•Montana
•New Hampshire
•North Dakota
•Rhode Island
•Vermont
•Wyoming https://t.co/dpb3mXN1Ti
— Gun Violence Archive (@GunDeaths) December 22, 2020

Notice most of this list are blue states.

What do you think is the cause of the mass shooting spike?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

hopelessness + anger caused by unethical news media ( cable TV, facebook, etc ).

notice most of this list are blue states.

I would argue population is a larger factor. Less people = less chance of a mass shooting. Those states have just been lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I've been hearing stories of how mass shootings/gun violence if on the rise in 2021. Originally I thought the spike was because of the lifting of COVID restrictions and people are now out on the street. However stats like the following show that wasn't the case.

Mass shootings were spiking back in 2019. Before COVID and also before and proposed PD budget cuts. Right wingers are trying to trick people into believing mass shootings are up because of big city budget cuts. Which is blatantly false

Here an interesting factoid. Here are the states that have not had mass shootings in 2020

Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota are spacious places with low population densities. Try shooting up a 17 acre lot of woods and farmland. The lead waste is nothing for those forests. They are also generally red. The only potential mass shooting is a redneck murdering his neighbor's family.

Vermont is both low in absolute population and density as well. 626k people in the entire state. Though they vote strongly blue, the gun laws in the state are actually quite lax.

NH only has 1.3 million people is purple locally.

The two island states would be potential examples of gun control laws.

Nov 17, 2019
The two island states ...
Scooby.jpg

Ahroo?????

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

Disclaimer, I just woke up and didn't read any of the links.

Any of those mass casualty events happen in KY?

Edit, read first one, and yea on first cup of coffee, obviously KY did because they aren't in the list of haven't.

This stood out to me from the article.

Shani Buggs, a violence prevention researcher at the University of California, Davis, told The Trace that recent studies have linked increased homicides to income inequality, housing insecurity, hunger and unemployment, all of which were heightened by the pandemic.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
hopelessness + anger caused by unethical news media ( cable TV, facebook, etc ).

I would argue population is a larger factor. Less people = less chance of a mass shooting. Those states have just been lucky.
That was a dig at people who always blame big cities and blue states. Listen to them and one would think all the shootings occur in Chicago

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I live in the Twin Cities, and gun violence is near record levels. I don't think there is a clear or simple explanation. I am in favor of reforming, *not* defunding the police. A lot of officers are retiring or just quitting. I think the police force in Minneapolis is down about 1/3 from full capacity, which probably contributes to the problem. We also still have a lot of racial unrest, but the shootings in the vast majority of cases are not directly tied to that.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I live in the Twin Cities, and gun violence is near record levels. I don't think there is a clear or simple explanation. I am in favor of reforming, *not* defunding the police. A lot of officers are retiring or just quitting. I think the police force in Minneapolis is down about 1/3 from full capacity, which probably contributes to the problem. We also still have a lot of racial unrest, but the shootings in the vast majority of cases are not directly tied to that.
People who shoot others usually have been well practiced in practical or street law and have a proverbial axe to grind. They have been driven to the point they either they think they can get away with it or don't care. The fact that each individual circumstance behind the shootings is sanded out so there can be neat silver bullet general explanations does not help matters.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Chicago does lead the pack in how many mass shootings have occurred so far, with 19 based on the Wikipedia article

. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2021
There is a lot of poverty and socio economic issues in Chicago based upon historic inequalities.

Also keep in mind that the Chicago metro area alone has millions more in population than entire deep south backwards ass redneck states.

It's ok though. The conservatives love their mass shootings. Thoughts and prayers, it's got nothing to do with guns or systemic inequality. It's just those bad blacks. And a few bad apple whites.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Shhhh you're ruining his agenda by bringing out facts. He's a little snowflake and can't take that kind of factual information!
Shhhh - states with most mass shootings

Illinois - 21 12.7m pop
Texas - 20 (5x the land mass of Illinois) 28.5m pop

If you factor in population density Texas is worse.

Shhhhh!!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
4 years of societies decline under the leadership of a fucking racist misogynist bigot. He mainstreamed pride in being a fucking scumbag degenerate.

That pretty much accurately describes Trump's whole term in office. Sad part is he convinced over 70 million of our fellow citizens that he was worth a repeat performance. I cannot describe how sad and dissapointed I am that there are that many people who think that four more years of Trump's malfeasance and despicable behavior is their best hope for what? Making America Great "Again"? What kind of cryptic bullshittery is that? Is it to keep the Dems from trying to give them an affordable system of health care? Keep the Dems from providing jobs through infrastructure rebuilding programs? Keep the Dems from cleaning their air and their drinking water and promoting renewable sources of clean energy?

It sure seems that way. I wish their leaders would explain to the rest of us why it's so horribly bad for our nation to allow those things to happen.

Reactions: Pohemi

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Because a question is asked, like why all the mass shootings, does not mean there is a real desire to know the answer. The reason for all the mass shootings is because we do not want to know the answer. The reason for all the mass shooting is the last thing to which we want to know the answer. I am the reason for all the mass shooting. I am full of hatred and violence and I blame you. The question I will not ask myself is why am I that way. Now asking the question is more on the mark but I still don't know and clearly do not want to know the answer.

I need help but the only people who could help me would be invisible to me. They would have to be violence and blame free and all I know is what I project.

Not a good situation because I believe I want to know the answer and that is what I tell myself. But because I think I want the answer to a question does not mean I really do. The reason for all the mass shootings is because I do not want to know the answer. I am the reason for all the mass shootings.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Who cares what caused the spike over the past 3 years. Plain and simple, it's stupid Americans and their love for guns is the issue. Like what sane society needs more guns than total population? Like the argument it's for personal protection. Like for every case of a good guy with a gun that stopped the bad guy. Pulling a number out of my ass, but I bet there's over 10 times where nothing could have stopped the bad guy even if it happen in a NRA event.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Those are also 7 of the 11 least populous states. I don't think the blue state theory has merit.

Anyway, I suspect the issue deals with social isolation. And that is much more than physical isolation. I'm sure COVID has aided this.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Those are also 7 of the 11 least populous states. I don't think the blue state theory has merit.

Anyway, I suspect the issue deals with social isolation. And that is much more than physical isolation. I'm sure COVID has aided this.
Two questions:

If gun violence is related to social isolation, why are the most socially isolated states the least affected?

Why would social isolation cause gun violence?