Iwill XP333-R, need advice on sound, RAID, WinXP

KurtD

Aug 17, 2000
Current Config:
Asus A7V, TBird750, 512mb CAS2 SDRAM, 20GB Maxtor ATA100, 5GB Maxtor ATA33, TDK CD Burner, Generic CD-ROM, SBLive, MSI Geo Pro 64 DDR, Speedstream PCI DSL Modem, Win98 SE, MS USB Optical Intellimouse, MS Natural Internet Pro USB Kbd, Win98SE

Proposed Config:
Iwill XP333-R, TBird750, 512mb Samsung PC2700, 40GB Maxtor ATA-133 (maybe 2), 20GB 20GB Maxtor ATA100, MS USB Optical Intellimouse, MS Natural Internet Pro USB Kbd, Win98SE, TDK CD Burner, Generic CD-ROM, MSI Geo Pro 64 DDR, Speedstream PCI DSL Modem, Dual boot Win98SE (already loaded and running on the 20GB) and WinXP (on the new 40GB), will use on-board sound with the SPDIF 5.1 module.

I plan to leave Win98 on the existing 20GB hard drive and do a clean install of XP on the 40 GB. Once I get everything installed and working on XP, I plan to migrate the data from the 20GB and then re-format it as NTFS for XP. I may need to keep Win98 around since the upgrade advisor indicates that my DSL modem may not be compatible.

I have a few questions....

Does anyone have any experience using the optional SPDIF connector? Is the sound quality similar to the SBLive? (I am looking forward to NOT having any conflicts or strange behavior that I had with the SBLive!)

I am on the fence about getting another 40GB drive and using raid/striping. Is it possible to set this up later?

I have MSI GF Pro 64MB DDR video. Any recommendations for drivers - will the XP disk have suitable drivers?

Any other suggestions, tricks or experiences that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Kurt