IWILL-kk266 onboard sound compared to mx-300

CarpetMan

Oct 18, 2000
I will start assembling this system in the morning and am trying to decide if I should go with the onboard sound which I hear is pretty good. Or if the sound will be better with a Diamond monster mx-300 sound card I can rob from my old computer. I do like to play games so I want good sound.

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Try it out! My personal opinion was that my SB Live! sounded a bit better than the on-board audio. The on-board seemed to have a strange over-crisp quality on some high-range sounds. That may have been just my imagination though.

Generally though, I was impressed and if I didn't want to shell out for a card, the on-board would be fine. But you have a card already, one that you know you like. So now you get to have fun comparing the two!

acexg1

Feb 24, 2001
I'm using the onboard sound... I didn't want to spend more money than I had to. It sounds fine to me, but I don't really have any standard of comparison.

Bingo13

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2000
Make sure you are using the latest driver set from C-Media, if you are going W2K it is version 6.22, do not remember the latest Win98 version though. Also download the upgraded applications if you use them.

AppleTalking

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2000
The Diamond MX300 is pretty old and does not have stable Windows 2000 drivers from what I've read. I would give the onboard CMedia sound a shot. If you don't like it, you can always pop in your MX300 card. Or if you've got some money to spend, look into a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card for about $70-75. I have one and it works great!!

Nick