Ivy Bridge motherboard for single GPU gaming system?

amrs

Feb 1, 2009
I'm looking to update my system from Q9550 to Ivy Bridge. Keeping my single GTX670, most likely although I'm not really happy that it can't push a steady 60 fps @1920x1200. At least not in Borderlands 2 or Alan Wake. Hence the upgrade plan and also wanting to get rid of my separate storage and USB3 cards. But no rush. Might well wait for Haswell or Broadwell too.

I've been looking at motherboards but it occurs to me that with a single GPU, absolutely no intention of using the built in video, needing about 2 USB ports and plenty of SATA, there really doesn't seem to be any motherboards out for me. At least if I think I shouldn't HAVE to pay for 2-4 useless video connectors on the motherboard.

But anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for my needs? Main parameter being single GPU gaming.

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
If you're near a MicroCenter take advantage of their bundle deal. Killer setup for $230, why would anyone wait for Haswell? Get all the goodness of Ivy and Z77 today for $30. Then if and when Haswell spawns next year, just toss both on ebay and recoup an easy $200.

3570k = $170
AsRock Pro4 = $60

Last edited:

amrs

Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for the input. Probably going with an Asrock Z77 Extreme4. Fast post time counts for something and it has the SATA connectors + SPDIF I want. Useless video outputs notwithstanding...

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
there really doesn't seem to be any motherboards out for me. At least if I think I shouldn't HAVE to pay for 2-4 useless video connectors on the motherboard.

You can think that, but the market doesn't work that way. Manufacturers figure that if you don't want integrated video, then you must be an enthusiast or gamer wanting a high end board. Thus, you can buy an older P67 chipset motherboard which was the priciest boards for Sandy Bridge, and you can buy a Core i5-2550K which was a 2500K with the integrated graphics removed (probably just disabled) and a higher price tag.

Thus, if you want it to actually cost less, you need to "put up with" integrated graphics. First world problem.

Actually, think of it this way. In the past how many of us had to purchase a low end graphics card when we had to RMA our card, or while in-between cards (sold old one to upgrade, but new one out of stock or not yet released), or when donating system to relatives? With integrated graphics, that's one less thing to potentially buy. Also, with EVERY board/CPU coming with it, it isn't as if there was a choice. Plus, economies of scale.

CryHavoc

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
60fps?
for bragging rights?
Just asking..Is it really necessary to achieve 60fps at 1920?
I'm happy with a sustained 30-35fps at that resolution.
:)