Ivy bridge board for a non gamer

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Ok so im pretty set on an i5 3570k but thats also cause the amd 8350 isnt out in this market yet (however the estimated price looks cheaper) but back to the point. If im not a gamer and will be mostly running video and picture editing software what would be a good mobo? Ram will slowly be built up to max due to its benefit on running photoshop
Of course if the amd build is much cheaper then it will be amd all the way for me.

I already have an ssd

Oh ya and thanks for all those who answer the same types of questions everyday

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
There is no such thing as a gaming motherboard even though some are marketed as one. You simply do not gain a substantial improvement in FPS from a low end to a high end motherboard. Here are a few, 1, 2, 3. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is also a good value board but it seems to be sold out.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Dont worry im not in the usa currently so I have to check prices and availability myself. So essentially if i stick with a well known company mobo that supports this chip i should be ok?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Dont worry im not in the usa currently so I have to check prices and availability myself. So essentially if i stick with a well known company mobo that supports this chip i should be ok?
You could probably do with an even cheaper motherboard, ones with B75 and H77 chipsets but that is a decision that you'll have to make. They offer about the same features, maybe less. Cheaper H77 boards, 1, 2.

They will work but often times I find that cheaper boards have a very poor layout which leads to difficult cable management.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
If you are getting a K cpu then I would get a Z77. The K chip is for overclocking so if you don't overclock you could get a cheaper non-K cpu and a B75/H77 board.