Ivy Bridge 3570K Testing, Opinions, Results, New Bios, 4.5Ghz At 1.236v

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Most of AMD GPUs doesn't have an IHS at all. It's a nice protection layer for CPUs but it's in the way for an optimal cooling.

I bet most of you removed your GPU's heatsinks and just changing the thermal compound dropped your temps a lot. At least all of my GPUs did.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Those numbers sound pretty good, a bit less than what is generally used to get 5ghz on SB. 5ghz IB should be equal to about what, a 5.5 SB ?

The question is whether it's stable and what temperatures are like. :cool:

Ivy Bridge is on average 8% faster then SB so a 4.6Ghz 3570K is equal to a 5Ghz 2500K

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Oh lord, my delicate personally hath been offended by your crude word!

report.gif

Keep me updated, will be nice to see how much faster I get my chip going than you get yours :)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
For being a "Tick" it's not so bad. Kinda on par with Westmere

There were no direct IPC gains in Westmere, though we did get 2 more cores in desktop, and specific instructions. Also laptops became much faster with Arrandale, but lost battery life compared to Penryn.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
There were no direct IPC gains in Westmere, though we did get 2 more cores in desktop, and specific instructions. Also laptops became much faster with Arrandale, but lost battery life compared to Penryn.

Ahh westmere. Brings back some nice memories

IMG00278-20100402-1607.jpg

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
So i'm trying to locate an HD 4000 driver so i can test IGP performance and its worse then pulling teeth. No luck so far

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
So i'm trying to locate an HD 4000 driver so i can test IGP performance and its worse then pulling teeth. No luck so far

i hope its better than HD3000 in real world performance. i couldn't even do dual monitor support w/ HD3000!

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
i hope its better than HD3000 in real world performance. i couldn't even do dual monitor support w/ HD3000!

I located one from January so were up and running. Once IB gets released i'll be able to find a new one

Testing MVP and it's pretty amazing.

Virtu Disabled

novirtu.png

Enabled

virtu.png

Just add in IGP overclocking along with discreet overclocking and we have a monster on our hands. It's the new PhysX

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
Hey Don did you test the Virtu MVP at stock or overclocked on your 3570k?

I was wondering since it implements the iGPU whether it would crash or be corrupted in the high overclocked (4.5ghz) setting.

Also, did it come with a license on z77? Or do you eventually have to pay for it after 30 days?

Iketh

Sep 4, 2001
I located one from January so were up and running. Once IB gets released i'll be able to find a new one

Testing MVP and it's pretty amazing.

Virtu Disabled

novirtu.png

Enabled

virtu.png

Just add in IGP overclocking along with discreet overclocking and we have a monster on our hands. It's the new PhysX

You should read about Virtu MVP. It doesn't improve performance, but instead does the opposite simply because of the added overhead.

In a nutshell, it reduces input lag, which is the time for your input (whether with a joystick or a click of the mouse) to reflect in a rendered image on the screen. To do this, it cancels the rendering of images that won't finish in time to display on your monitor's next refresh, and makes the GPU begin work on the next image instead. This cancelling is reported to the software side as a completed render, thus you end up with higher reported framerates.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
You should read about Virtu MVP. It doesn't improve performance, but instead does the opposite simply because of the added overhead.

In a nutshell, it reduces input lag, which is the time for your input (whether with a joystick or a click of the mouse) to reflect in a rendered image on the screen. To do this, it cancels the rendering of images that won't finish in time to display on your monitor's next refresh, and makes the GPU begin work on the next image instead. This cancelling is reported to the software side as a completed render, thus you end up with higher reported framerates.

HOLY CRAP DON

You landed a big one!

One post (this!), joined in 2001?!?

Had to :)

Also, he's right.

Iketh

Sep 4, 2001
I just read through all 24 pages of this thread, and I have to say YOU ARE ALL SPOILED BRATS!! Screw ALL of you with your 5ghz SBs!!!one My 2600k tops out at 4.4ghz @ 1.345 w/HT, 4.5ghz @ 1.34 w/o HT... I for one welcome our new intel overlords and can't WAIT to replace this hunker with an efficient 4.5ghz IB o/c. (My son is getting my SB, or else I wouldn't bother :) )

Also those discussions about IHS was hilarious... YES AN ADDITIONAL SLAB OF METAL REDUCES THERMAL RESISTANCE.... SMH

Iketh

Sep 4, 2001
HOLY CRAP DON

You landed a big one!

One post (this!), joined in 2001?!?

Had to :)

Also, he's right.

LOL, i never visit these forums... someone linked this thread at XS... but "lifelong" AT reader... i rarely post at XS or OCN also

Alex Sinov

Apr 9, 2012
You should read about Virtu MVP. It doesn't improve performance, but instead does the opposite simply because of the added overhead. In a nutshell, it reduces input lag, which is the time for your input (whether with a joystick or a click of the mouse) to reflect in a rendered image on the screen. To do this, it cancels the rendering of images that won't finish in time to display on your monitor's next refresh, and makes the GPU begin work on the next image instead. This cancelling is reported to the software side as a completed render, thus you end up with higher reported framerates.

That's a pretty smart thing to do, don't you think? To say that it just reduces the performance is an understatement.
Metaphorically speaking, imagine the GPU is a cards dealer that deals you cards both the right way (face down) and the wrong way (face up). Normally you have to sort the face up cards and discard them, and just keep the face down cards. MVP does just that, it sorts this out for you, giving you just the face down cards, sparing you of the hassle.

Am I wrong? :D

rge2

Apr 3, 2009
Most of AMD GPUs doesn't have an IHS at all. It's a nice protection layer for CPUs but it's in the way for an optimal cooling.

I bet most of you removed your GPU's heatsinks and just changing the thermal compound dropped your temps a lot. At least all of my GPUs did.

It depends on power density and die attach interface, as to whether it is beneficial to remove the IHS or not, or more importantly if you are going to do direct die cooling the correct way or the clueless way.

Any gpu/cpu that uses paste/non-solder attach typical 3-6W/mK, you could remove the IHS and replace with same crappy user tim 3-4w/mK and do better since removing an equal interface....for example...
gpu die >> crappy paste/die attach 3-6 w/mk conductance >> first heatsink (IHS) >> user TIM crappy paste 3-6 w/mk, then heatsink..... YES it is beneficial to remove one layer, that is obvious, since user tim isnt much different from 1st crappy interface conductance.

Intel modern cpu I7's however, power density is too high, surface area too small to do direct die with crappy conducting water 0.58 w/mk or crappy user tim 3-6w/mk, unless first spread heat at much faster rate to larger surface area ie like intels solder 20x faster at 80 w/mK ie get surface area much larger before using crappy 3-6 w/mk paste or worse 0.58 w/mk water (same logic behind water blocks needing multiple channels/pins to increase surface area before seeing water).

modern intel cpus.... silicon die is 125 W/mk conductance >> indium-solder attach 80 w/mk >> copper IHS 400 w/mK which significantly increases the surface area before we stupidly try to use 4-6w/mK tim paste to transfer again to copper, for example to your water block with massive surface area via pins, before you try to cool that much heat with crappy water at thermal conductance of 0.58 w/mK (air even worse).

The really clueless way to do direct die cooling of modern intel high power density cpus, is remove solder IHS 80w/mk, and then try to cool pin point die hot spots with 0.58 w/mk conductance of water. Someone on xtreme did so and posted his 15C worse temps at STOCK settings alone.

The second slightly less clueless way is to put a waterblock using 4-6w/mk user tim directly on modern die, again trying to spread heat 20x slower than intels indium solder tim. Intel abandoned paste, and spent a small fortune developing the voidless solder attach for a reason.

The smart way to do direct die cooling on modern intel high power density cpu is remove iHS, then resolder the waterblock to the die with 80 w/mk solder at same very thin 20 micron bond thickness....so, for example with 30C gradient from core to IHS, you can eliminate possibly 1/3 or more of the gradient. Because now you have pin point heat areas, but being spread at 80 w/mk to copper waterblock (also now heatspreader) then to high surface area pins in waterblock at 400 w/mk, before using water at 0.58 w/mK...and you eliminate the user die interface 3-6w/mk tim. Thinks surface area isnt important? Try to drain a swimming pool with a straw. Now try 100 million straws, its faster.

But if science fails...there are people that have honestly done this and posted honest results, rather than claimed to have defied physics then ran when questioned. Read post 13 and 22 in thread here on xtreme..., will link back to testing at stanford, and lot of hole drilling and IHS removal in temp testing as well and individual at xtreme that got 15C worse temps by direct die cooling his i7, just at stock settings, any OC would throttle... (edit...cant do links at this site???, xtreme water cooling section second page.. "Has the limit been reached in watercooling?"). I have removed several IHS, and on 90nm with 40 watts power, direct die is doable with water or user tim/waterblock (though exaggerations aside) your talking 3-5C improvement in temps at max.

At 150w 45nm or smaller intel high power density with very small surface areas, it is futile to attempt to cool that much heat at an incredibly small surface area at rate of either 4-6w/mk or more laughable 0.58 w/mk. That is like cutting off fins on a heatsink to "remove a layer of copper", so air can get directly to base of heatsink.

Last edited: