Question I've like the last guy standing in asking, any free upgrade from W7Pro64 to WinXpro64?

Nov 20, 2009
The copies of Windows 7 Professional 64-but are OEM that I bought through either Microcenter or Frys many years ago. I know when M$ released Windows 10 for the first time they were offering free upgrades but at the time I wasn't buying into it as I am not an early adopter in anything. Recently I figured I would put the current Windows on my wife's computer since she can install M$ office for free as part of working in academia (she's a teacher at a university). Her college has a thing with M$ to allow her to install Office onto five computers but I figured doing it on an EOL operating system might be asking a bit much.

So, are there any free routes or have they all dried up. If the answer is No, there is no freebie for Professional 64 then I'll just go buy a license and be done with it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The copies of Windows 7 Professional 64-but are OEM that I bought through either Microcenter or Frys many years ago. I know when M$ released Windows 10 for the first time they were offering free upgrades but at the time I wasn't buying into it as I am not an early adopter in anything. Recently I figured I would put the current Windows on my wife's computer since she can install M$ office for free as part of working in academia (she's a teacher at a university). Her college has a thing with M$ to allow her to install Office onto five computers but I figured doing it on an EOL operating system might be asking a bit much.

So, are there any free routes or have they all dried up. If the answer is No, there is no freebie for Professional 64 then I'll just go buy a license and be done with it.
Is there a misspelling in your thread title? I only ask because WinXPro64 is horribly out of date.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, the only way that the title makes sense, is Win10Pro64. Not WinXP Pro 64. Sheesh people. It's called "Win10", not WinX, this is not an Apple product.

(*) Though, there is now a "Win10X" special version for a dual-screen tablet Surface-like device. I'm not sure where that fits into the Windows family either.

Nov 20, 2009
Sorry, when it comes to M$ I am a bit facetious. That is why I used 'X' instead of '10'. BTW, the current SSD with Win7 on it has nothing worth keeping on it. So no need for safety there.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Not sure why, but plenty of cheap Win10 keys on ebay. I had some issues after a motherboard change, and rather than fuss with MS I spent $5 on a new 10 key, for some reason 7 was much more money.