I've got a question about people and driving fast...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Ilikepiedoyou
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
wow, I thought this was going to be a man thread.

anyone with a real car going to post?

The fastest I have been on the road is 137 mph in my lincoln mark viii. A real car.

ohh for a second I thought you were going post up having a real car, not some pillowy automatic elderly car. Ohh and unless you modifyed it, 137 is a lie, its limited to 130 on stnadard models and 124 on lsc models.

Gee, you seem to know an awful lot about speed governors.

Tell me, what was the speed governor on all Civics up to the 06+ Si models?

Oh, right. 122mph.

- M4H

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: goku
Originally posted by: dmw16
Love the teenage ricers in their civics/srt-4 (yes, its domestic rice)/etc with these i've gone XXX mph but my car has been built up for that. Please. Please stop thinking you are the best drivers in the world because you are 17 and have a huge wing on your FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car. Also, stop street racing and reving at my at stop lights - I dont want to race you.

That is all

SCREW YOU MANNN! YOUR JUST A WHINEY BRAT CUZ ALL YOU GOT IS A ****** BEATER PICKUP. CIVCS will PWN YOU!!!! STUPID AMERICANS Thing their cars are so cool yet their all gay...

I actually drive an S2000 - not an American car. Although I like American cars as well and owned one prior to the S2000 (and on a side note, it was faster than the fart canned civics I used to run against at the track). The term "ricer" - to me - has little to do with where the car was designed and built and more to do with the attitudes of the drivers. It is people who put loud, useless, exhaust on their cars, huge wings, ugly stickers. And then go drive like morons and do 3-honks at me like we're on the set of Fast and the Furious 4. If you want to drive fast, take it to the track.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Yup. I am from Poland and used to drive an Audi/Mercedes/BMW in Germany on the autobahn at cruising speeds of 240-280 constantly. You have to have 2 things for high speed travel.

1. The car, american/japanese cars are not made for this.
2. The highway/road, germany roads are built totally different then NA.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Also another comparison example. I was in my buddy's bmw m3 late one night at 4 am. We were driving down a good highway (what is considered to be good for here, quality/road wise). He decided to top the car out. We went to about 266 km/h. On a straightaway, the lanes were swirving left and right of the car like crazy, and at that speed you could feel the tons of little uneven curves and surfaces of the road. It felt like the car was about to lose control at any moment.

Roads here are made for 100 km/h speed limits, the roads you know at that speed are not the roads you know at twice or more that speed.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: goku
Love the teenage ricers in their civics/srt-4 (yes, its domestic rice)/etc with these i've gone XXX mph but my car has been built up for that. Please. Please stop thinking you are the best drivers in the world because you are 17 and have a huge wing on your FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car. Also, stop street racing and reving at my at stop lights - I dont want to race you.

That is all

SCREW YOU MANNN! YOUR JUST A WHINEY BRAT CUZ ALL YOU GOT IS A ****** BEATER PICKUP. CIVCS will PWN YOU!!!! STUPID AMERICANS Thing their cars are so cool yet their all gay...

I actually drive an S2000 - not an American car. Although I like American cars as well and owned one prior to the S2000 (and on a side note, it was faster than the fart canned civics I used to run against at the track). The term "ricer" - to me - has little to do with where the car was designed and built and more to do with the attitudes of the drivers. It is people who put loud, useless, exhaust on their cars, huge wings, ugly stickers. And then go drive like morons and do 3-honks at me like we're on the set of Fast and the Furious 4. If you want to drive fast, take it to the track.

Short review of the S2000
Pro: The ability to rip off nine-grand shifts in bursts of five.
Con: The attention that grabs, both from police and ricers.

Cheers :beer::D

- M4H

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Be careful if you drive a Porsche 911 for those in this thread... you'll be leaving the stealership on a 30mph road and will quickly find that even 100mph feels very safe on that 30mph road and that the salesman finds it very normal... :shocked:

Dritnul

Jan 9, 2006
I live in the middle of nowhere so later today when i pick up my car ill have to see what it can do from what i've read the limiter on it doesn't kick in until ~147MPH

Edit: actually from sounds on hear i might get used to it a lil before i go completly rodding it!

thanks for makin me realize how stupid it'a been to take a car i've harldy driven 140MPH
on the down side u just lost ur chance to get rid of me:p

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
I used to take my older 'zuke bike ~120-130....thats when I was young, I now know how close I came to being buried in a happy meal box several times.

Hell, I was dumb enough to party all night, take finals the next day, party all night again, and then drive home that fast (~3.5 hours at the speed limit, about an 1:30-1:45 for me) with no sleep and tons of caffiene.

My current car won't do much more then 85 or 90 I would guess, but I've turned into a speed limit kinda guy (easier on the pocket book, both for insurance and gas milage)

imported_Trippin315

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2004
135 MPH in an '88 Daytona (spedometer stops at 140 MPH). I ran out of road, but I felt that if I had to do anything other than keep it going straight, i was screwed

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

That is all

sounds like someone that never got any love in their life. i've been revved at also by many s2k's and americans and every kind of car fast and slow. every kind of car has a-hole drivers. please dont turn this into a flame fest

SsupernovaE

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2006
Let's see... my insane uncle took me up to 105 mph in a 1980 Ford truck. I was scared out of my mind. My mother did the same with a 92 Eagle Summit at about 115.

Kilim

Sep 8, 2004
I also had a saturn sl2 which i loved because it handled very well. It is an extremely light weight car, about 2400lbs stock, which makes a world of difference in handling.

Man that thing was FUN to drive, felt stable during cornering, starting to understeeer nicely at the limit, and it had an intangible "feel" while you were driving that you felt like you were in control.

Say what you want, and I have driven other cars, a newer mustang GT, BMW's and other such things. Oh yes, it was a cheap car, but it handled really well for what it was.