I've got a bunch of old PC games in their original unopened boxes.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Are they worth something? These are the games:

Warlords III
Legacy of Kain
Total Annihilation
X-Com Apocalypse
Dark Reign
Duke Nukem 3D
NHL 98

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe Duke Nukem (because of the recent rise in popularity again), X-Com, and Legacy of Kain.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
If they are unopened some of them are likely worth something to collectors, but your not going to make much money off of them. In some cases it's the boxes themselves that drive up the value. The games themselves are easy to find. There were some very interesting boxes back then. I remember buying Stonekeep with its tombstone box.

If you can find a sealed copy of Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory 1 before the name change), then you might have something.

Last edited:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I'd compare them to baseball/sports cards - they may be worth money to someone somewhere on the planet.
The trick is finding the person that wants them bad enough to pay money for them.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
If they are unopened some of them are likely worth something to collectors, but your not going to make much money off of them. In some cases it's the boxes themselves that drive up the value. The games themselves are easy to find. There were some very interesting boxes back then. I remember buying Stonekeep with its tombstone box.

If you can find a sealed copy of Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory 1 before the name change), then you might have something.

I still have my Stonekeep hologram box. Its pretty cool.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I just picked up a complete copy of Legacy of Kain last week for $2 on ebay, but it was a listing ending at like 4 in the morning, so no one was paying attention to it. (I have a mild obsession finding these listings.)

I think you could get some money for Duke 3D and Legacy of Kain if you ebay them and list them properly; Sunday around 6PM pacific time, and never use a stock photo, get a good picture of the box that doesn't look like a straight on stock picture either. Also, ebay recently changed to free listings and you just pay closing fee's, so add a Buy It Now price, as rare items don't normally get too many bidders to drive the price up.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I would think somone would pay good money to own original Total Annihilation and Duke Nukem 3D unopened boxes. The others on the list seem less likely to me.

that said, you need to find the people who would pay for it. E-Bay is a probably a nice place for exactly that, but I don't have much experience with it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I would think somone would pay good money to own original Total Annihilation and Duke Nukem 3D unopened boxes. The others on the list seem less likely to me.

that said, you need to find the people who would pay for it. E-Bay is a probably a nice place for exactly that, but I don't have much experience with it.

lol, why?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I still have my Stonekeep hologram box. Its pretty cool.

I remember that one mainly because it came with a hardback book to tell you the backstory.

Same with Homeworld, it came with a combination novel/instruction manual/unit guide.

They just don't make games like they used to. Now, you're lucky if you get an insert in the DVD case that says "PUT THE DISK IN THE DRIVE, CLICK INSTALL DERP"

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Some people just like box art I guess. Look them up on eBay. The Duke seems to go for up to $40, for the collector's editions. Saw the regular version with the box for $19.

Somebody in Brazil wants $140 for the Mega Drive version. Keep dreaming buddy.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
its not the boxes that bring the big money: its the user manuals.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
NIB NHL '98? HOLY FREAKIN' HELL! You're rich dood! ;)

SRSLY though: I had no idea a sealed copy of Grim Fandango was worth so much when I squandered it by selling it in a lot auction with a ton of other old PC games. :(

MDK user manual is [comedy] GOLD! :D

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I imagine any Jane's combat sims manuals would be worth quite a bit as well...too bad I tossed them.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001

I have a copy of Hero's Quest, but it's been opened (and thouroughly played!) and has all the manuals and disks (3 1/2 AND 5 1/4!) along with that worthless Sierra Hint Guide where you highlight the answers with the magic marker and them the highlight fades and the whole thing is useless...

I keep it because I love it. One of my prized computer treasures.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I can't say I agree. If the game isn't complete, it's typically worthless. There are just a few exceptions where the CD's are all you need.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
Everything goes for $10-$15 unopened on ebay except for X-Com Apocalypse which looks like it could go for as much as $40.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Total Annihilation
X-Com Apocalypse
Duke Nukem 3D

These could fetch a good amount if they are the original releases.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Everything goes for $10-$15 unopened on ebay except for X-Com Apocalypse which looks like it could go for as much as $40.
It's listed for $40, but not selling. The completed listings are the only things that are very important.

Last edited: