I've been working don't know if I can return to work...I am utterly scared.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
There actually isn't that much caffeine in espresso. I think a simple cup of coffee can have 200mg, while an espresso shot is more along the lines of ~50mg

So unless you drink 4+ shots of espresso then you're not even getting as much as a cup of joe.
I've never seen espresso figured as low as 50mg.
According to the USDA, one 1.5-ounce shot of espresso has around 90-100 milligrams of caffeine. Your standard cup of drip coffee? That clocks in at up to 128 milligrams, making it the better wake-up call for those rough mornings.
But regardless, I do in fact have four shots every morning.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Espresso also typically uses a finer grind to extract even more oils out of the beans in a 25-30 second brew time per shot. Grind and roast have everything to do with how much caffeine ends up in your espresso.

I think the biggest difference is that espresso is usually Italian or French roast coffee....both are roasted longer than typical American blends. The longer you roast a bean, the more caffeine you cook out of it. Breakfast Blends have higher caffeine than even the medium roasts. That's why many "blends" will mix darker roasted beans with lighter roasted beans to find that balance of roasted flavor and enough caffeine to appease the coffee junkies. It's why I can't stand Starbucks...they seem to throw burned beans into every mix to achieve their signature snobbery flavor. It's essentially the same as adding 3 times as many hops as you should to an IPA just because you know some asshole with a black mock turtleneck will drink it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I already know all these things, I've even roasted my own beans :p
I do make my own blend as well, of dark and lighter beans.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

holy crap

i accidentally had about 500 mg of caffeine one time and it made my heart race for about 18 hours, i felt like i was gonna die

Nov 20, 2009
I guess it depends on the workplace size for it to become an effective solution. I think my new work location has about 3-4000 employees assigned there. In fact much of it is shared workspaces because of the partial telecommute we've had for the past decade.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Nice post lol. I can barely believe how much I love teleworking full time. It has been a few months for us and my stress level is absolutely through the floor. My entire team has better moods, and people put in extra time as their stress levels are lower. Seriously a win-win. Being able to make some nice coffee / tea whenever I want is great. My office amenities are non-existant. No coffee or tea, which is really COOL MAN.

Reactions: Muse

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Oh wow, I'm going to take that as a no...:eek:
Honestly, I don't know that I've had Pepsi Zero or Coke Zero, I basically stopped drinking soda years ago.
holy crap

i accidentally had about 500 mg of caffeine one time and it made my heart race for about 18 hours, i felt like i was gonna die
I did once have a sort of espresso shake with 7 shots in it... yeah, that was too much for me, but I was okay within 4-6 hours.

Reactions: Muse

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
the company I work for is selling buildings they are so happy with the small drop in efficiency for the huge drop in cost. they go through so much less TP and water now, who would have thought they could get their workers to pay for their utilities, cleaning, TP, water, etc.... they should give us all a damn raise.

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
the company I work for is selling buildings they are so happy with the small drop in efficiency for the huge drop in cost. they go through so much less TP and water now, who would have thought they could get their workers to pay for their utilities, cleaning, TP, water, etc.... they should give us all a damn raise.

If anything you should expect a pay cut, considering you're not actually at work... :p

Nov 20, 2009
Nice post lol. I can barely believe how much I love teleworking full time. It has been a few months for us and my stress level is absolutely through the floor. My entire team has better moods, and people put in extra time as their stress levels are lower. Seriously a win-win. Being able to make some nice coffee / tea whenever I want is great. My office amenities are non-existant. No coffee or tea, which is really COOL MAN.
My employer keeps us in check my continuing with their Workforce2020. It was supposed to be five years of surplussing to reduce the head count, but they continued on for seven years. Last year was the first time since 2011 that we had no surplus in my division, but that changed last week when we were told that everyone under or current VP is under a new surplus announcement. Yeah, those working in the most profitable division are treated equally as those areas of the company running in the red.

So, if you folks are counting on good 5G go find another carrier. AT&T's GIP is cutting investment to capital costs/infrastructure and reducing headcount across the board. And these are not furloughs or layoffs, but surplussing meaning the job position itself is being permanently erased from existence. I am sure HBO Max will sell like hotcakes to Verizon Wireless customers.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I did once have a sort of espresso shake with 7 shots in it... yeah, that was too much for me, but I was okay within 4-6 hours

Could potentially give yourself a heart attack with that much caffeine especially if its combined with the chemical cocktail in many energy-drinks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
WUT? I regularly ingest three or more Rockstar Zero energy drinks a day, and they contain 240mg of Caffeine.

I'm a big guy though, and I don't ingest it all at once, of course, but throughout the day.

Plus, I've built up a bit of a tolerance.

Nov 8, 2012
WUT? I regularly ingest three or more Rockstar Zero energy drinks a day, and they contain 240mg of Caffeine.

I'm a big guy though, and I don't ingest it all at once, of course, but throughout the day.

Plus, I've built up a bit of a tolerance.

Go without caffeine for roughly a week. Tolerance resets, and you won't have to have 3 drinks to get the same kick.