I've been playing Doom 3 and Quake 1 recently

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Doom 3 got most of my attention, I possibly found it more engaging as I spent more and more time with it.

However, it's been a long time since I completed Quake 1, but the fourth world is head and shoulders above the others in terms of enjoyability and difficulty :) That world alone probably puts D3 to shame.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Wow! I thought I'd never see it written here! Quake 1 rocks and the graphics are great with the HD Dark places mod. It was the 1st game that I beat back in 1996.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Wow! I thought I'd never see it written here! Quake 1 rocks and the graphics are great with the HD Dark places mod. It was the 1st game that I beat back in 1996.

Even without any HD mods, Quake 1 was a better place to roam around in... Doom 3 tends be locked down room after room...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder whether part of the reason why I think Q1 gameplay is better than D3 is because I learnt the tactics I use with D3 on Q1, and the process of coming up with the tactics was what made it fun, so I'm remembering going from 'running through the halls of Q1 like a screaming scared fairy' to 'I know how to handle this bastard'. With the possible exceptions of the Vore and Spawns in Q1.

Though maybe that's another reason why D3 plays second fiddle to Q1, the enemies in Q1 are generally tougher? Admittedly I'm playing Q1 on Nightmare difficulty and D3 on standard/marine difficulty.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I think it's because Q1 still had a good level design and provide a challenge for the player while D3 has a very narrow approach with its narrow linear corridors and the overall darkness. Plus, the gameplay in D3 is very repetitive (perhaps with exception of the hell).

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I beat Doom 3 after the last sale. I had been determined to do it and the right sale came along (I used to have the original CD's... somewhere...).

Man, the game is still excellent! It got long in the tooth near the end, but they did a GREAT job on the entire game. I started the expansion but didn't get far... I put like 18 hours into D3 within 4-5 days and needed a break.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I still enjoy Doom II.

NO OTHER game to date can capture the same feel of mass enemies, evil atmosphere, and sheer carnage.

No, Serious Sam sucks.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I find most old shooters to easy even on the hardest settings (well hardest settings without respawns).. but years of FPS has honed my aim.. my reaction time is getting soft (age!) but not my aim, and the early games were less surprise and more aim. With all that said I may be one of the few he enjoyed DOOM 3 and its closet monsters.. While i didnt like flashlight or gun, it sure did make the game tense in some spots.. DOOM had a claustrophobic where the hell am i feel.. tight, jump out stuff.. while poor story wise.. it did keep you on your toes.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Hmm, I wonder. I play Quake 1 on nightmare mode and it is certainly tough in places. Recently I completed Quake 4 on the second-to-hardest difficulty.

Quake 3 is really tough on the second-to-hardest difficulty IIRC, I rarely manage the last level because Xaero's railgun proficiency is better than mine.

George_o/c

Mar 31, 2013
Wow Quake brings back so much memories. I think I'm not as hardcore as you guys, but last year I played again some Unreal Tournament 2000 - that game was good! :D