I've been binge watching Dexter on Netflix.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
This is a really really good series. I'm almost done with season two now and I'm consumed by this show.

Honorable nod to the Ballad of Buster Scruggs too. That's another great show.

Reactions: Number1
Mar 11, 2004
I found the first season to be great but feel it went downhill right after that as it lost the awesome tension that hung over everything in the first season (that first season just had a constant "tone" that perfectly fit, and I don't feel the later seasons had that). It gets downright tedious and typical mediocre drama a lot in later seasons.

The end of the series is so fucking dumb that I don't even know what to say. Its not "gunshot fade to black" level insulting, but its one of the worst endings I can recall. I think most people had checked out of the series by then though so not sure anyone really cared, but it was insultingly stupid like "hey thanks for sticking around, oh by the way fuck you." They should've had it end with him just getting hit by a fucking bus, would've been just as satisfying. Its a perfect example of a series that got padded out because it was popular and so they changed things to try and get more seasons. This could've been a really tight and well done like 2-3 seasons. If I remember things actually became contentious between the fans and the creators of the show (the fans whined about a lot of stuff, think it was Rita, then Stiles, then Colin Hanks; weirdly I was apparently the only person that took issue with how fucking stupid they handled things after season 1 by simply just ignoring it until they realized they should probably start finishing the series off).

Although, I think I'm in the minority in that I didn't find season 5 to be all that spectacular. Wait, why do people find season 5 to be so good? I remember people hating Stiles' character, and I guess I thought season 4 was season 5 and season 5 was season 6.

Something to think about: the brother and sister were fucking in real life for like half the series til he cheated on her with Julia Stiles. Granted they were adopted siblings (oh and also Deb realizes she wants to fuck Dexter at one point...).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Dexter went on too long. I enjoyed it the whole way through, but it clearly got a lot dumber in the later seasons. I think the John Lithgow season was it's high point.

EDIT:

Oh and acting on this show was laughably bad like the whole series. It started to be part of the charm of the show though.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I found the first season to be great but feel it went downhill right after that as it lost the awesome tension that hung over everything in the first season (that first season just had a constant "tone" that perfectly fit, and I don't feel the later seasons had that). It gets downright tedious and typical mediocre drama a lot in later seasons.

The end of the series is so fucking dumb that I don't even know what to say. Its not "gunshot fade to black" level insulting, but its one of the worst endings I can recall. I think most people had checked out of the series by then though so not sure anyone really cared, but it was insultingly stupid like "hey thanks for sticking around, oh by the way fuck you." They should've had it end with him just getting hit by a fucking bus, would've been just as satisfying. Its a perfect example of a series that got padded out because it was popular and so they changed things to try and get more seasons. This could've been a really tight and well done like 2-3 seasons. If I remember things actually became contentious between the fans and the creators of the show (the fans whined about a lot of stuff, think it was Rita, then Stiles, then Colin Hanks; weirdly I was apparently the only person that took issue with how fucking stupid they handled things after season 1 by simply just ignoring it until they realized they should probably start finishing the series off).

Although, I think I'm in the minority in that I didn't find season 5 to be all that spectacular. Wait, why do people find season 5 to be so good? I remember people hating Stiles' character, and I guess I thought season 4 was season 5 and season 5 was season 6.

Something to think about: the brother and sister were fucking in real life for like half the series til he cheated on her with Julia Stiles. Granted they were adopted siblings (oh and also Deb realizes she wants to fuck Dexter at one point...).

Jesus, the guy just started watching it..spoilers dude.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's a great show with mostly great characters. ...do yourself a favor though and stop watching before the last season....and possibly the one before that, lol.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dexter went on too long. I enjoyed it the whole way through, but it clearly got a lot dumber in the later seasons. I think the John Lithgow season was it's high point.

EDIT:

Oh and acting on this show was laughably bad like the whole series. It started to be part of the charm of the show though.

Absolutely. It was brilliant overall and Lithgow was just perfectly cast. Quality took a noticeable drop after that, but imo really shit the bed in the Colin Hanks season and the final one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Absolutely. It was brilliant overall and Lithgow was just perfectly cast. Quality took a noticeable drop after that, but imo really shit the bed in the Colin Hanks season and the final one.
The whole Colin Hanks thing goes back to my comment on acting in the show. That dude is SSSSOOOOO bad at acting, at least in Dexter he was. He was a little better in his Fargo season.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The whole Colin Hanks thing goes back to my comment on acting in the show. That dude is SSSSOOOOO bad at acting, at least in Dexter he was. He was a little better in his Fargo season.

agree on both points. He is usually quite terrible, but was pretty good in Fargo. That is such a great show, though.

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
This is a really really good series. I'm almost done with season two now and I'm consumed by this show.

Honorable nod to the Ballad of Buster Scruggs too. That's another great show.

Glad you're enjoying it! I hope you've skipped reading spoilers. You should definitely post an update when you're done to share your final thoughts.