Ivanka Trump used a personal email account to send hundreds of emails about government business last year

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Just goes to show how much the Trumps think they're above the law.

It's always been a matter of gaming the system for the Trumps. In most ways the very wealthy have been playing this game and winning at it for quite some time. The irony behind all of this is that the folks who are enabling them to do this are from the ranks of the Repub working class and their poor via their voting for thoroughly corrupted politicians controlled by the wealthy.

I'm thinking the biggest problem with the Trumps however, is that the head of the clan doesn't know how to outsmart his competition and have had to rely more so on nefarious skullduggery in order to cheat the system rather than play it (a razor thin line of difference I have to admit).

It won't surprise me or almost anyone else that sometime in the near future Donny boy and his family of thieves gets tagged with money laundering, colluding with Putin and other such criminal treasonous behavior.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It's always been a matter of gaming the system for the Trumps. In most ways the very wealthy have been playing this game and winning at it for quite some time. The irony behind all of this is that the folks who are enabling them to do this are from the ranks of the Repub working class and their poor via their voting for thoroughly corrupted politicians controlled by the wealthy.

I'm thinking the biggest problem with the Trumps however, is that the head of the clan doesn't know how to outsmart his competition and have had to rely more so on nefarious skullduggery in order to cheat the system rather than play it (a razor thin line of difference I have to admit).

It won't surprise me or almost anyone else that sometime in the near future Donny boy and his family of thieves gets tagged with money laundering, colluding with Putin and other such criminal treasonous behavior.

The problem with shenanigans like that is they dont work at the presidential level. Theres way too many people watching. Some are just doing their job, many are out to get you. Being the president of America means everyone has a bullseye on your back. Theres no more sneaking around. The good news for the president is that a lot of the shit you dont wont be of any real concern for general public. Kennedy screwed around on his wife and most people didnt care. Everyone forgot about Nixons crimes after he quit. The Rage against Bills adultery was political rage, when the GOP realized they couldnt get him booted out for it they stopped caring too.

Nov 25, 2013
The problem with shenanigans like that is they dont work at the presidential level. Theres way too many people watching. Some are just doing their job, many are out to get you. Being the president of America means everyone has a bullseye on your back. Theres no more sneaking around. The good news for the president is that a lot of the shit you dont wont be of any real concern for general public. Kennedy screwed around on his wife and most people didnt care. Everyone forgot about Nixons crimes after he quit. The Rage against Bills adultery was political rage, when the GOP realized they couldnt get him booted out for it they stopped caring too.

People didn't care about Kennedy being a drug addicted, horndog because they didn't know about it. Nobody reported on it and it wasn't an issue until well after his death.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
-Yeah I know. If you play their game, the terrorists win.

If Dems go down the same path that Pubs have gone and try to fight Trump with belicosity and shitheadedness, then the Trumpists win.

I don't care about the parties, I care about my country and preserving the institutions that help make it great.

The whole episode just tells me that Ivanka was completely clueless. Oblivious. There seems to be a lot of that in the Trump Admin. And she's getting trolled hard for it.

I doubt the new HOR will make a big deal out of it, because it's really not. The internet is obviously different.

Meanwhile, Trump & the GOP are corrupting the institutions of which you speak and the minds of their voters with a full frontal assault of disinformation and in your face top down class warfare.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The whole episode just tells me that Ivanka was completely clueless. Oblivious. There seems to be a lot of that in the Trump Admin. And she's getting trolled hard for it.

I take a slightly different slant. I don't think they're clueless, at least not in the colloquial sense.

I think that they simply do not believe "the rules" apply to them. In this example, I think one could have simply walked up to Ivanka and said, "I mean, you get how it's kinda off that your dad is railing against HRCs email, and you're being a bit hypocritical, right?" And she would stand there, physically incapable of reconciling those thoughts.

Same reason Trump probably technically isn't a lair, he actually believes everything he says. He could say the up is down and he would believe it. It's not the that what he says is based on fact or not, it's that it's based on fact because he says is.

They are a significantly psychologically damaged bunch.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is exactly why you SHOULD vote, to maybe get the useless ones out of power.

huh? that dipshit voted for Trump and complains that these exact type of people shouldn't be in politics...and you think he should keep voting to prevent the type of thing that he clearly keeps voting for?

:D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I take a slightly different slant. I don't think they're clueless, at least not in the colloquial sense.

I think that they simply do not believe "the rules" apply to them. In this example, I think one could have simply walked up to Ivanka and said, "I mean, you get how it's kinda off that your dad is railing against HRCs email, and you're being a bit hypocritical, right?" And she would stand there, physically incapable of reconciling those thoughts.

Same reason Trump probably technically isn't a lair, he actually believes everything he says. He could say the up is down and he would believe it. It's not the that what he says is based on fact or not, it's that it's based on fact because he says is.

They are a significantly psychologically damaged bunch.

It's just that they aren't a truly competent group. It's not something Trump particularly values. He didn't say "Bring the cyber security guys to help me & my staff do it well." He didn't say to his staff "Pay attention to these guys because we need to do it right." They just blew it off during the transition period when they should have been learning.

He just wanted to go on about the bigly-est inauguration crowd ever, 3-5M illegal votes, FBI witch hunts & every form of divisive disinflormation he could dream up or latch onto.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
LOL. You guys are really funny.

Just to be correct about your lies. I have no problem waterboarding terrorist. I don't care what color they are.

It's an interesting notion, but if we go with the principle that something is differently ethical depending upon our judgment of who it applies to, then we can escape all ethical conflicts by adjusting our perception of others. We see that in smaller scale playing out in politics right here. Because of your political stance, some others think it's A-OK to distort your words in this way but object to doing so for others. I don't agree with that. I think that's wrong for the same principle that I think waterboarding is wrong for terrorists. Not because I like terrorism. But because waterboarding is torture, and torture is wrong.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
It's an interesting notion, but if we go with the principle that something is differently ethical depending upon our judgment of who it applies to, then we can escape all ethical conflicts by adjusting our perception of others. We see that in smaller scale playing out in politics right here. Because of your political stance, some others think it's A-OK to distort your words in this way but object to doing so for others. I don't agree with that. I think that's wrong for the same principle that I think waterboarding is wrong for terrorists. Not because I like terrorism. But because waterboarding is torture, and torture is wrong.

I'll bet he doesn't even see the irony in the fact that Baby Bush stood in front of the entire country and said "the United States does not torture, waterboarding isn't torture."

Obviously Baby Bush is not a student of history, considering that the United States tried 225 Japanese soldiers at the end of World War II for the non-crime against humanity of... Wait for it...

WATERBOARDING!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'll bet he doesn't even see the irony in the fact that Baby Bush stood in front of the entire country and said "the United States does not torture, waterboarding isn't torture."

Obviously Baby Bush is not a student of history, considering that the United States tried 225 Japanese soldiers at the end of World War II for the non-crime against humanity of... Wait for it...

WATERBOARDING!

I especially liked the logic that if our military trains people to handle being water boarded then it can't be a form of torture.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Just to be correct about your lies. I have no problem waterboarding terrorist. I don't care what color they are.

Its amazing in this day and age of infinite knowledge at our fingertips that this person's mind can still be so simple.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

So now we only waterboard terrorists? Seriously man can you provide your list of when and who it is acceptable to waterboard since it isn't torture but we shouldn't use it on everyone?

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
The CIA confirmed having waterboarded three Al-Qaeda suspects: Abu Zubaydah, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, in 2002 and 2003.

I have no sympathy for any of these terrorist.
So putting aside the torture aspect of this and whether it's good or bad, do you have a list of the suspects that were waterboarded and found to NOT be terrorists? Ya know, innocent people who were tortured/not tortured with waterboarding? It's convenient to feel okay when the ends seems justified (finding a terrorist and preventing bad things) but what about other Brown people who turned out to be just brown?

Just curious to know if you looked at things from that perspective. At All.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
huh? that dipshit voted for Trump and complains that these exact type of people shouldn't be in politics...and you think he should keep voting to prevent the type of thing that he clearly keeps voting for?

:D
People can learn from their mistakes.

(Though most don't)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So putting aside the torture aspect of this and whether it's good or bad, do you have a list of the suspects that were waterboarded and found to NOT be terrorists? Ya know, innocent people who were tortured/not tortured with waterboarding? It's convenient to feel okay when the ends seems justified (finding a terrorist and preventing bad things) but what about other Brown people who turned out to be just brown?

Just curious to know if you looked at things from that perspective. At All.

Do you have a verified list of innocents that were waterboarded?

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
It will likely be decades before we get full details on official numbers (especially with the destruction of tapes) but even the attorneys can't divulge details of the interrogation techniques used on their clients. In the meantime you can read through this article. I would surmise there are at least a dozen people who were also interrogated with similar techniques.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/oct/16/cia-torture-water-dousing-waterboard-like-technique

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Don't really give a shit. A justice system is defined by how it treats everyone consistently regardless of guilt. As a country and at one point supposed leader of the Free world and shining light for freedom and limits on government power we lose our moral authority and leadership position when we engage in torture. We should be the counterweight to authoritarian regimes.

Your biggest problem is you think incredibly small just like Trump and those who started the torture program. In Bush's administration.

Reactions: Meghan54

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Don't really give a shit. A justice system is defined by how it treats everyone consistently regardless of guilt. As a country and at one point supposed leader of the Free world and shining light for freedom and limits on government power we lose our moral authority and leadership position when we engage in torture. We should be the counterweight to authoritarian regimes.

Your biggest problem is you think incredibly small just like Trump and those who started the torture program. In Bush's administration.

It will likely be decades before we get full details on official numbers (especially with the destruction of tapes) but even the attorneys can't divulge details of the interrogation techniques used on their clients. In the meantime you can read through this article. I would surmise there are at least a dozen people who were also interrogated with similar techniques.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/oct/16/cia-torture-water-dousing-waterboard-like-technique

That is fine. Sorry I don't have any sympathy for terrorist whatsoever.