Ivanka Trump joins father at high-level White House meetings

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I am constantly baffled by this.

I thought there was no conflict of interest between Trump's business and Trump's Administration?

there is so much BS flying everywhere and it's this story (and the Russia story) that takes a back seat

it is truly mystifying.

Reactions: Thump553
Jul 9, 2009
This was pretty much gone over in 1993 when Hillary Rodham-Clinton got offices in the west wing and became part of policy decisions.
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/22/u...policy-job-and-new-office.html?pagewanted=all

"Breaking decades of tradition, Hillary Rodham Clinton will set up shop in the West Wing of the White House, alongside the President's senior staff members, where she will help formulate policy on health care and other domestic issues, White House officials said today."

Ivanka as Donald Trump's first daughter is just following in her footsteps.

Reactions: boomerang
Jan 25, 2011
Reporting indicates her and Kushner have been voices of reason in Trumps ear. At this rate I'd welcome it with open arms.

Reactions: Humpy

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
This was pretty much gone over in 1993 when Hillary Rodham-Clinton got offices in the west wing and became part of policy decisions.
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/22/u...policy-job-and-new-office.html?pagewanted=all

"Breaking decades of tradition, Hillary Rodham Clinton will set up shop in the West Wing of the White House, alongside the President's senior staff members, where she will help formulate policy on health care and other domestic issues, White House officials said today."

I guess we have a First Daughter position starts with Trump in U.S. history then.

Jul 9, 2009
I guess we have a First Daughter position starts with Trump in U.S. history then.
She's a trusted advisor to him. I can't say if Luci or Lynda Johnson, or Julie Nixon or any other daughters sat in on any meetings with their fathers, Obama's children are pretty young for the role.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Ordinarily I don't see anything majorly wrong with that. But in this particular case, The Donald's B.S. "blind trust" was to put the businesses in his kids's names and let them run them. Now he has the kids participating in Presidential meetings-where is even the illusion of keeping his businesses separate?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
She's a trusted advisor to him. I can't say if Luci or Lynda Johnson, or Julie Nixon or any other daughters sat in on any meetings with their fathers, Obama's children are pretty young for the role.
So as long as President's children are old enough, they are allowed to join any WH meetings? What would you say if its Clinton's or Obama's children and they are old enough?

And POTUS need his/her children's advice?

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
EVERY child of every president has been involved in the government to some degree. Even if its just macaroni art featuring daddy.

And I think its a good indicator of how young the Anandtech crowd is that none of them remember Chelsea Clinton.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It's not just the Clintons although the were certainly guilty, nepotism has always been around. Doesn't make it right for Trump but having Ivanka around is one of the least shocking things of the past month. :D

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'm sure Ivanka never talks to her brothers...I think Trump is grooming her for a future run. He'd love for her to be the first woman President.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I don't really have much problem with this, because by all accounts, he respects her opinions and she is a moderating influence.

Maybe she can help tone down the crazy.

LIA2yCH.jpg

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
If his billionaire son in law can be his top advisor, then this shouldn't be a big deal.

Just another day in American "democracy" in action. Or is it American "republic" in action?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

The russian shows up to defend deflect and spew propaganda. Good work comrade!

Reactions: MongGrel
Jul 9, 2009
So as long as President's children are old enough, they are allowed to join any WH meetings? What would you say if its Clinton's or Obama's children and they are old enough?

If there's not a law or regulation against it, then it's legal. I have no problem with any President's kith or kin being an unofficial adviser to a President. Why do you have a problem with it?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If there's not a law or regulation against it, then it's legal. I have no problem with any President's kith or kin being an unofficial adviser to a President. Why do you have a problem with it?

Cause they run very big businesses for him that are for profit, to him.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Hmm. You are so generous.

So I guess POTUS can bring in his/her family members, like parents/brothers/sisters/cousins/uncles/aunts/nephews/nieces into WH and join high level meetings then. It's not against the laws, right? I bet you won't say a word.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

There are laws against it, as his children are supposedly managing his business operations independent of the White House.

But your head is so far up your anus you wouldn't know any better.

Reactions: agent00f

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
More weirdness of which Trump supporters are attempting to paint as the "new normal".

This effort by Trump and his lackeys to force their views, their vision, their values on the nation isn't going to work as it would in other nations led by fascists because Trump cannot control those media outlets that exposes his efforts toward incessantly attempting to discredit his detractors and those who stand against his "unique" style of winning the hearts and minds of America.

What remains of the free press is a vital and necessary component toward keeping our chosen leaders in check and keeping them as honest as possible.

Trump is obviously attempting to circumvent this last hurdle in his efforts to force his will on the nation, to gain complete control over the media so as to scam the people into seeing things his way.

He's done that as a businessman lording over his business interests, but he simply can't get away with forcing the same measure of control over the nation as a whole.

That being said, he's got a little less than half the nation believing in his outrageous bullshit, but that's as far as he's going to get IMO.

Reactions: mxnerd and MongGrel

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Trump needs someone in his "blind" trust to tell him what decisions will make them more money.

Conservatives love it because it shows what great business people they are.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meh. Bobby Kennedy was JFK's attorney general. Hillary was heavily involved. Ivanka may turn out to be in the same vein. She may turn out to be a sort of surrogate First Lady as Melania doesn't seem too keen on the traditional role.

If it's a problem, it's the least of what the Trump admin has to offer.