Its weird that after like 30 years they suddenly decide its sexist.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
A rule that they must wear less clothing is stupid.
I endorse their opposition.
It would be historically accurate for all to compete naked.
Of course if you were being accurate, I'm sure there would be no women.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
he didnt say that.
he said we need to stop believing the only reason for the sport is to jerk off.
Yeah that's what I said. I didn't say it was the only way to jerk off.

Forcing women to compete for in scimpy uniforms is an obvious attempt to attract an audience via sexual attraction. What's funny is competition swimmers don't even compete in true swimsuits any more.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It would be historically accurate for all to compete naked.
Of course if you were being accurate, I'm sure there would be no women.
And a string tied tightly around the end of your penis! For historical accuracy of course!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't have a problem with using sex to sell a sport or, for that matter, pretty much anything not child related. I have no problem with women in skimpy bikinis playing sports. I have no problem with people getting off on that. Women and men and are sexually objectified in almost all aspects of life. Women more often than men, because men are more voyeuristic. All of this is biology.

What I do have a problem with is women being required to do so by an athletic body meant to govern competition. That IS sexist.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

I guess back then women were less ashamed of their bodies?
Or are they jumping on the late wave bandwagon that everything which happened before this year was somehow sexist and needs to be changed?

Odd that those were the only reasons that you considered in all this, which frankly displays some deep seated sexism.

If not, then why couldn’t you also have considered the possibility that successive “generations” of that team have actually been asking to let them wear f’n sorts instead of bikinis, but have been told to shut up repeatedly…kinda like now.

Threatening fines is just that…”shut up and do what we say.”

And from some of the reading I’ve done, that exact scenario has been playing out for years. Players damned near begging for the right to choose and the governing body of men just threaten fines, loss of playing time, etc.

Naaaaaa…probably like you said. Just a bunch of ungrateful women all of the sudden bitching about sexualized uniforms to play their sport.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I don't have a problem with using sex to sell a sport or, for that matter, pretty much anything not child related. I have no problem with women in skimpy bikinis playing sports. I have no problem with people getting off on that. Women and men and are sexually objectified in almost all aspects of life. Women more often than men, because men are more voyeuristic. All of this is biology.

What I do have a problem with is women being required to do so by an athletic body meant to govern competition. That IS sexist.
I completely agree.

The governing board has the right to mandate a uniform, but there should be enough flexibility that if an athlete wants to cover her ass cheeks she can.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I completely agree.

The governing board has the right to mandate a uniform, but there should be enough flexibility that if an athlete wants to cover her ass cheeks she can.

Yes. Oddly, this comes on the heels of Paralympian Olivia Breen being told her shorts are too short.

Sexists can't figure out which side of the classic madonna/whore dichotomy to fixate on.

Reactions: dank69