Question It's time for a new build....it's been a long time. Looking for suggestions

cesto

Sep 24, 2001
Hey guys, I posted this almost 2 years ago and never got around to it. I'm starting to see the need to upgrade due to performance issues so I figured I'd drop in and see what you guys recommend...especially with cyber monday deals etc. My requirements haven't really changed much, here's the info below:

1. What YOUR PC will be used for: mostly office work with many applications opened at once. i also do some video editing which my current pc seems to be struggling a little bit with (hence the reason for this post). so it should have enough horsepower to not be bogged down when im surfing the web and editing videos while listening to music.

2. What YOUR budget is. around 1,500 but this is flexible. if it makes sense to pay more, that's fine (especially if i go the 3 monitor display route...if i can save money by paying less and not have sacrifice performance, that's cool too

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from: USA

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.: no preference

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are: perhaps i can recycle an older lian-li case similar to this one (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112304). it has floppy disks bays...not sure if it's worth keeping..you guys tell me :)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.: no plans to overclock

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?: right now im using 2560 x 1080. i'd like to setup 3 monitors (would consider 2).

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?: around xmas

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?: i'll need windows and office

any suggestions appreciated. thanks in advance!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Video card prices are terrible. I will provide a couple of different builds that will easily handle what you are doing, and give you some headroom for years of service. As long as you are happy with the front I/O and airflow on your Lian Li case, I would use it, it is a classic, and still a good looking case IMO.

You can skip the GTX 1650 if you go with 2 monitors and use onboard. I don't like to recommend stuff I have not done, so someone else will have to tell you if you can get the 3rd monitor out using a USB-C adapter on the board.

PM if you want advice about buying windows. I won't list my source here, but I get legit 10 pro for under $12. Which can be converted to 11 pro if desired. There is room left in the budget if you decide you want to get it from Amazon or Newegg.

You can carry over your current storage or buy more. Added a PSU because it is always good to change them with a new build, when they have been used for years.

Build 1 -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($64.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z590 Steel Legend ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($90.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 G5 4 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($374.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1183.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-29 14:38 EST-0500

Last edited:
Reactions: cesto

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Build 2 -
Don't sweat the CPU compatibility. Even if on the very small chance you get a board without supporting bios, it has bios flashback that lets you update the bios with nothing more than the board and PSU. You don't even need ram installed to do it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($64.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($90.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 G5 4 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($374.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1141.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-29 14:39 EST-0500

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Since you're not gaming, I would just use the integrated video and forego the dedicated GPU for now. No point buying something you really don't need right now. You can always re-use your current GPU if it isn't too old.