It's The economy, stupid

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I was looking forward to a Romney VP choice so that we could have a vigorous debate on the economy, now we'll be talking about guns, abortions, and babies.

Nevertheless, I think McCain has done the Obama/Biden campaign a great service by letting them focus on that point (the economy). With the Feds pumping money into Wall Street, inflation is biting hard. Add to that the fact that India and China have joined the world economy, and there little surprise as to why food prices have skyrocketed. Hopefully, Sen. Obama will be aggressive in his economic message.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what's Obama's claim to fame on the economy? he ran against the economy under the last democratic administration in the primaries.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
what's Obama's claim to fame on the economy? he ran against the economy under the last democratic administration in the primaries.

He has no claim, but with the economy in shambles and China rising, we need a forward-looking President. McCain has admitted he doesn't know shit about economics and his one solution is to drill for oil. Mrs. Palin can help him in that but that's about it. Furthermore, by highlighting the fact that the economy is in the gutter, people will naturally look towards the Democrats for leadership. With economists from U. of Chicago and Harvard on his team, I think there will be plenty of bright ideas.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Long before November 4, many Americans will be taking delivery of home heating fuel for the winter, I sure got sticker shocks, and no it does not make me want to vote for McCain.

To a certain extent, some foreign governments can send their own messages to discredit McCain on the economy, calling in some if their US debt could cause a spike in interests rates to discredit GWB and McCain.
And to some extent, I would assume insurgent leaders may actively time their insurgencies to US elections in an effort to weaken McCain chances. Increasing US allies and enemies will really ignore GWB and make it quite clear that McCain is not wanted either. If the Status quo can be maintained, McCain will have a chance, but if the economy or wars go badly, it could totally kill McCain chances.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari

He has no claim, but with the economy in shambles and China rising, we need a forward-looking President. McCain has admitted he doesn't know shit about economics and his one solution is to drill for oil. Mrs. Palin can help him in that but that's about it. Furthermore, by highlighting the fact that the economy is in the gutter, people will naturally look towards the Democrats for leadership. With economists from U. of Chicago and Harvard on his team, I think there will be plenty of bright ideas.

Quick your Kool Aid levels are dropping alarmingly. You need to chant *the GDP is growing, the GDP is growing, the GDP is growing...* for 10 minutes straight.

Unfortunately for your line of reasoning economists from Chicago and Harvard have created a lot of the economic theories that have put the US in the current hole it finds itself in now. Electing Obama means essentially more of the same.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: GrGr
Originally posted by: Dari

Quick your Kool Aid levels are dropping alarmingly. You need to chant *the GDP is growing, the GDP is growing, the GDP is growing...* for 10 minutes straight.

Unfortunately for your line of reasoning economists from Chicago and Harvard have created a lot of the economic theories that have put the US in the current hole it finds itself in now. Electing Obama means essentially more of the same.

Ummm, if you've ever studied the Chicago brand of economics, you'd know that what you just said was utter bullshit. Ben Bernanke, who was quite popular at Princeton, is the one trying to bail out Wall Street. Alan Greenspan, from NYU, was the one that sang the praises of the economy while ignoring the warning signs.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Once they chew into Obama and the dems reluctance of drilling it will be all over with. Game, set, match.

Voter - "why all this promise of hope and change and yet the change is stupid and goes against basic economics?"

Drill here, drill now, pay less.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Once they chew into Obama and the dems reluctance of drilling it will be all over with. Game, set, match.

Voter - "why all this promise of hope and change and yet the change is stupid and goes against basic economics?"

You're a victim of simulated reality, Spidey. The whole notion that more drilling will solve our problem wrt oil is like claiming that pissin' into the mississippi in Des Moines will raise the water level in New Orleans enough to matter...

I'm well aware that it's what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's the truth, at all...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

You're a victim of simulated reality, Spidey. The whole notion that more drilling will solve our problem wrt oil is like claiming that pissin' into the mississippi in Des Moines will raise the water level in New Orleans enough to matter...

I'm well aware that it's what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's the truth, at all...

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the people. Rather, USE it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Pardon me, Spidey. I always figured you to be one of the believers, rather than the peddlers of what they know to be lies. My mistake.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

I do love the Pelosi talking points the Obama people love to spout. Going against the laws of supply and demand is change I can believe in right? I think lots of good paying jobs and more revinue for the government are enough of a reason to drill. Lowering prices at the pump is just a nice bonus. A new safe stable supply of oil is just what the market needs to get prices down. It is a win win for everyone but the extreme leftists Obama/Pelosi who hate oil and love high gas prices.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: quest55720
Obama went on a expensive vacation to a private beach in Hawii that probably cost more than I make in a year...
And we're to trust the economy to him??:shocked:

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Obama went on a expensive vacation to a private beach in Hawii that probably cost more than I make in a year...

I do love how you take 1 piece of my quote with out the rest. That is ok I understand the Obama koolaid drinkers are on edge today because the messiah's speech was completely ignored because of the Palin pick.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004

YEAH DRILL NOW!!!!! oh wait we have to wait a decade to get any relief

there goes your argument

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Arghh!!! Koolaid..Argh!!! messiah..Argh!!!.
:laugh:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I don't know where the quoted text came from, but this is an example of the irrationalisty of the right. They set up these no-win scenarios for democrats, because they aren't actually makeing any rational point, they're just atttacking for the sake of attacking, as recently seen with the recent attacks on democrats as either making too much or too little.

I did not see one Right-winger here ever say a word against Tom DeLay's corrupt gold trips, much less specific luxury trips more comparable to the alleged Obama trip.

But they'll attack Obama for taking a nice vacation; the funny thing is, if Obama agreed with them and said no more vacations other than Motel 6, they's still be against him.

They simply imprison their views with these illogically no-win issues where no matter what the democrat does, they'll oppose them.

Sadly, most of the posting I see from them fits that same motive - attacking for the sake of attacking, rather than actually trying to advocate a good *policy*, where they would support the democrats if the emocrats adopted their positions. The examples are many - for example, back when the public took issue with a candidate being divorced, it wasn't a problem for Reagan. If Obama called his wife a 'c***', we'd never hear the end of it, but for McCain, no problem.

It's a little like the early phases when blacks or women broke into new jobs they'd been barred from, the idea that they had to do twice as well. Democrats can't get away with any of the errors of Republican candidates with right-wingers' double standards, whether their military history, family history, whatever - but even then, the right gives no credit to the democrats who meet the double standard, i's simply attacking for the sake of attacking.

It's irrational politics, because the right isn't discussing the actual issues on which they form their views with all that, they're just going after 'the enemy'.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

He should have had Michele buy a couple of beach-houses while he was at it--one for her and one for the kids.

That would really get you fuming. :roll:

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

I do love the Pelosi talking points the Obama people love to spout. Going against the laws of supply and demand is change I can believe in right? I think lots of good paying jobs and more revinue for the government are enough of a reason to drill. Lowering prices at the pump is just a nice bonus. A new safe stable supply of oil is just what the market needs to get prices down. It is a win win for everyone but the extreme leftists Obama/Pelosi who hate oil and love high gas prices.

US Oil Demand

U.S. oil demand drops in first half of 2008

API statistics manager Ron Planting said, ?At 20.08 million barrels per day, total demand was the lowest in five years. And the decline in gasoline demand was the first significant one recorded in 17 years.

World Oil Supply/Production

Oil mega project status

Oil megaprojects/2008

87.3 million b/d Jan 2008
90 million b/d at the end of 2008
Over 94 million b/d at the end of 2009
Over 97 million b/d at the end of 2010

So much for your demand/supply argument. btw - There is a shortage of oil workers in the US, from grunts to engineers. The worldwide companies that build oil platforms are pretty much booked through 2010. You, know. "Don't call me, I'll call you - - - in 2011." Besides, the profits that Big Oil makes on the gas you are buying from them is building oil infrastructure in China, India, Africa, Brazil and the rest of the world (In addition to buying back $100 billion of their stock each year).

During the oil embargo of the 1970's we reduced overall consumption nearly 20%. It's past time to do it again. The US will not become independent of oil by drilling our way out of the problem.

Your bumper sticker slogans and economic blather are useless. You Fail.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Sounds like a good motto for the Republican party. I'm surprised to hear you come right out and SAY it, but whatever...

Of course the irony is that you support them, so how smart does that make you?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Sounds like a good motto for the Republican party. I'm surprised to hear you come right out and SAY it, but whatever...

Right-wingers: a group of people many of whom are convinced they're sneaking something by most of the rest.

They have to win, in order not to 'get caught' and have to face their wrongs. United against one thing, the left, who would expose them to and harm them with the truth, hence the war.

Like other criminal enterprises, it's as if they have a shared guilt, the way groups try to compromise each member to create group loyalty out of each member being vulnerable if they betray the group. It leads to bad behavior, like when confronted with someone doing the right thing, their having to mock it, so that the virtues of liberals in fighting for the environment or the poor are mocked to prevent their own weakness being evident. Real conservatives are the original environmentalists, modern righties attack 'tree huggers'.

It's a terrible culture of shame and evil and wrongdoing, and the power games that result are how the Abramoffs and the Abrams, the Roves and the Delays, rise to power.

No Republican was proud of the Medicare drug bill sellout; there were simply Republicans who were corruptly pushing it through, and Republicans who were vulnerable to be forced.

The leadership got its #1 donor industry protected; the lead sponsor quickly resigned for a drug industry reward; and the other members shamefully rationalized their vote.

And the voters got screwed, but the Republicans helped themselved retain power at the expense of the public, as they all sang a pretty song about 'helping Americans get drugs', knowing they'd used a popular cause to ride on for the big bucks taxpayer reward to their donors. Many of them convince themselves they're right, to sleep better at night, but they're not.

The weak people who latch on to authoritarian figures are quick to post their support for these thugs, the 'useful idiots' of the right, feeling powerful in the process.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Right-wingers: a group of people mostly convinced they're sneaking something by most of the rest.

They have to win, in order not to 'get caught' and have to face their wrongs. United against one thing, the left, who would expose them to and harm them with the truth, hence the war.

Like other criminal enterprises, it's as if they have a shared guilt, the way groups try to compromise each member to create group loyalty out of each member being vulnerable if they betray the group. It leads to bad behavior, like when confronted with someone doing the right thing, their having to mock it, so that the virtues of liberals in fighting for the environment or the poor are mocked to prevent their own weakness being evident. Real conservatives are the original environmentalists, modern righties attack 'tree huggers'.

It's a terrible culture of shame and evil and wrongdoing, and the power games that result are how the Abramoffs and the Abrams, the Roves and the Delays, rise to power.

No Republican was proud of the Medicare drug bill sellout; there were simply Republicans who were corruptly pushing it through, and Republicans who were vulnerable to be forced.

The leadership got its #1 donor industry protected; the lead sponsor quickly resigned for a drug industry reward; and the other members shamefully rationalized their vote.

And the voters got screwed, but the Republicans helped themselved retain power at the expense of the public, as they all sang a pretty song about 'helping Americans get drugs', knowing they'd used a popular cause to ride on for the big bucks taxpayer reward to their donors. Many of them convince themselves they're right, to sleep better at night, but they're not.

The weak people who latch on to authoritarian figures are quick to post their support for these thugs, the 'useful idiots' of the right, feeling powerful in the process.

It is the democrats who sneak around and pray not to get caught. I never hear Obama claiming how liberal or left he is. Obama is acting like he has shame for his ultra-liberal views.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I never hear Obama claiming how liberal or left he is.
That's because the voices in your head drown everything else out.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It is the democrats who sneak around and pray not to get caught. I never hear Obama claiming how liberal or left he is. Obama is acting like he has shame for his ultra-liberal views.

Nobody can overcome willful blindness on your part, quest55720. Obama laid out what is a very "Liberal" agenda with his speech in Denver, and many times before, even favorably referencing the rightwing's greatest boogeyman, the New Deal...

Cut your losses- tell us all about how more taxcuts at the top will, uhh, trickle down to the rest of us, rave about Terrarists!, go on and on about something else that might convince the faithful to stay that way, 'cause that's the best you can hope for...