It's the 2015 State of the Union Thread!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just when I thought rand paul was moving to the center he goes on fox and straight up lies.

He spun Obama taking credit for the economy and Obamas issue with stagnant wages, saying obama can't have it both ways. As if stagnant wages was something that only happened under Obama.

He then goes on to lie again about reaching out to Obama about a bipartisan tax proposal saying he has heard anything except that the president will "think about it" or "he will get back to him or something about obstructionist". Lol

Holy shit Megan Kelly is complaining that the war on terror isn't over.

They just had on some guy that said bush completely iradicated al queda both ideologically and militarily and that Obama created a vacuum in which ISIS stepped in! Wow!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Terms limits wouldn't do shit except make things worse. Congressman gets elected, gets lobbied and promised a nice cushy job once he gets out, congressman pushes through lobbiest written legislation, ends term and gets the cushy job.

You either make lobbying illegal (which is completely unconstitutional) or you only allow campaigns to be funded via public funds and no outside sources, or my personal favorite, increase the size of congress and remove the limit that was imposed early in the 1900's.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0stiHQv6yJQ

She kept it short, a little over 10 minutes. I was in and out for a bit but it didn't seem like she did much more than tell her story and express some very broad ideas ("We'll defend against cyberattacks", "We'll protect against executive overreach"). I wasn't expecting much but... I was expecting more than this.

[Edit] Her proposals/ideas:
"Keystone Jobs Bills"
Iron out loopholes and lower rates
More trade with Europe and the Pacific
Comprehensive Plan to defeat ISIS
Improved benefits for Veterans
Repealing/Replacing ACA
Promote solutions to prevent cyber attacks
Prevent Nuclear-Iran
Protect Life (more attempts to defeat abortion)

That was fucking painful to watch...I didn't finish.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
Terms limits wouldn't do shit except make things worse. Congressman gets elected, gets lobbied and promised a nice cushy job once he gets out, congressman pushes through lobbiest written legislation, ends term and gets the cushy job.

You either make lobbying illegal (which is completely unconstitutional) or you only allow campaigns to be funded via public funds and no outside sources, or my personal favorite, increase the size of congress and remove the limit that was imposed early in the 1900's.

I like option 2....and limited terms.

Dec 10, 2005
"We'll protect against executive overreach"
I like how everyone in Congress likes to bitch about this, but they never do anything about it. Where are the charges for against CIA members breaking into Senate computers? Why were people reporting to Congress constantly allowed to get away with lying (see: torture)? Where was Congress when it came to voting on recent action in Iraq/Syria? etc...

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I like how everyone in Congress likes to bitch about this, but they never do anything about it. Where are the charges for against CIA members breaking into Senate computers? Why were people reporting to Congress constantly allowed to get away with lying (see: torture)? Where was Congress when it came to voting on recent action in Iraq/Syria? etc...

Congress has been delegating its powers to the Executive Department for a plethora of reasons for the past 230 years. Mostly, because they don't want to be responsible for the bad things that happen, and can scream about "executive overreach".

When was the last time Congress declared war?

How many Congresscritters speak daily about fighting the terrerrerrists over there instead of over here?

Blame game, pure and simple.

Besides, the last time Congress really tried reining in an Executive, they did so with the Boland Amendment. You can see just how effective it was in stopping St. Reagan in providing weapons and cash to Iran and central American death squads.

"A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not."

Don't worry, Bush I will just pardon the law breakers, and they'll get nice jobs in the establishment. Mostly because of freedom.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Just when I thought rand paul was moving to the center he goes on fox and straight up lies.

He spun Obama taking credit for the economy and Obamas issue with stagnant wages, saying obama can't have it both ways. As if stagnant wages was something that only happened under Obama.

He then goes on to lie again about reaching out to Obama about a bipartisan tax proposal saying he has heard anything except that the president will "think about it" or "he will get back to him or something about obstructionist". Lol

They just had on some guy that said bush completely iradicated al queda both ideologically and militarily and that Obama created a vacuum in which ISIS stepped in! Wow!

Randy has to go far-right now, it's the election cycle.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Some days you want to just take a hammer to a few people so evolution doesn't seem to be going in reverse.

Not going into a rant, g'nite.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I can't decide if that rebuttal was worse than Rubio's or just as terrible but in a different way. Absolutely no real options offered bedside the same tired rhetoric delivered in a stilted manner that makes Mitt Romney seem like a great orator of our time It's like they put Paul Ryan and Michelle Bachmann in a machine and fused them.

I mean at least Obama put forward some kind of plan even if I don't necessarily agree with some of them or how he frames all the issues. I have to admire how he's made the GOP chase shinny partisan objects that dig them into a hole with the 2016 electorate like a cat after a laser pointer.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Her response wasn't as bad as rubios (I assume we are talking about last years response). She at least attempted to keep the partisanship to a minimum. She just didn't offer anything specific other than keystone.

Honestly the only people I can imagine that vote republican (generally speaking) are people that really hate democrats. I say this because the Republican Party as a whole really hasn't put forth any ideas other than general platitudes. Their politics consist of trash talking and zero substance big ideas. Aren't republicans getting tired of this?

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
Her response wasn't as bad as rubios (I assume we are talking about last years response). She at least attempted to keep the partisanship to a minimum. She just didn't offer anything specific other than keystone.

Honestly the only people I can imagine that vote republican (generally speaking) are people that really hate democrats. I say this because the Republican Party as a whole really hasn't put forth any ideas other than general platitudes. Their politics consist of trash talking and zero substance big ideas. Aren't republicans getting tired of this?

I'm going to buy a lotto ticket... Holy shit we agree on something.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

And the only people I can imagine that watch the State of the Union address, and the subsequent response are partisans who enjoy insulting "the other side" ;)

I didn't watch because I knew the probability either side would say anything useful to my life was negligible at best :p And I'll ask around tomorrow as I'm at a few different offices for work, I'd be surprised if I find any more than a small few who cared to watch.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
GOP is clueless. Nuclear-Iran? Really? Need another country to go and mess about with, dogs of war are getting hungry. 1000+ jobs for the Keystone BS again. She said jobs about fifty times. If we only wanted jobs then lets go dig another grand canyon. Its pretty sad how she slips in abortion again, as if it is a good idea to mulch over that tired discussion. Supreme court isn't enough for the GOP it seems.

Obama wasn't much better though. "Bipartisan", "Lets all work together", "oh and I'll veto anything I don't agree with and have a stack of executive actions ready to go for next week." The dude chilling in the space station for a year seemed like the most sensible thing out of the entire charade. :)

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
GOP has nothing to offer America except 30 more years of trickle down and other failed Reaganite policies. The party just hasn't had a new idea in 3 decades.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
As far as the SoTU address goes, I think Ruth Bader Ginsburg pretty much summed up my thoughts. Of course she was in attendance and I didn't watch but her reaction was spot on.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
And the only people I can imagine that watch the State of the Union address, and the subsequent response are partisans who enjoy insulting "the other side" ;)

I didn't watch because I knew the probability either side would say anything useful to my life was negligible at best :p And I'll ask around tomorrow as I'm at a few different offices for work, I'd be surprised if I find any more than a small few who cared to watch.

Precisely. Platitudes and pandering.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Fuck ya'll haters,..
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2015-state-of-the-union/obamas-drop-mic-moment-state-union-n290056

PJRHceb.gif

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
after Obama said &#8220;I have no more campaigns to run&#8221; Republicans started clapping derisively.
And Obama responded with an ad-lib that will likely go down in State of the Union history.

&#8220;I know, because I won both of them.&#8221;
:D

Nov 30, 2006
after Obama said “I have no more campaigns to run” Republicans started clapping derisively.
And Obama responded with an ad-lib that will likely go down in State of the Union history.

“I know, because I won both of them.”
:D
Was it an ad lib or was it calculated? Looked like a set up to me.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I watched it. I especially liked the part where they showed that chart where the bottom 90% and the top 10% totally and completely switched their shares of the wealth pie in the last 30 years. He barely even addressed wealth inequality. It's not like I expected him to say "It's no longer hyperbole to say that the richest 1% own more than the other 99%" but I'm surprised he didnt say more than he did.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I watched it. I especially liked the part where they showed that chart where the bottom 90% and the top 10% totally and completely switched their shares of the wealth pie in the last 30 years. He barely even addressed wealth inequality. It's not like I expected him to say "It's no longer hyperbole to say that the richest 1% own more than the other 99%" but I'm surprised he didnt say more than he did.

Panem et circenses. Neither Democrats nor Republicans as a whole want the system to change. We are an oligarchy although some think that means corporations own us. I believe that's incorrect. For practical purposes government and corporations are divisions within the oligarchy. You are offered people that have benefited from both sides at some level, and that is "democracy", and that is "freedom". In reality that's so far from the truth it would be funny, except people are trained to think that way.

I'm reminded of a story about a poor creature- a tiger, lion or wolf I think, who paced about within the confines of his cage most of its life. When released back into the wild it just walked back and forth as if the bars were still there. We are that animal in that we can't imagine any other way and we don't even know if the cage is there or not.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Didnt watch, guessing I can describe the speech. Obama took shots at republicans. Republicans didnt clap for him. Democrats overly clapped for him. Then he went on about income inequality, free stuff, wanting to bomb Syria, war on terror. Im sure he played up an improving economy and lower unemployment as if his policies after 6 year were the sole reason for the slow recovery.

How far off am I?