It's that time of year again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Had to put the car away for the winter. :(

Anyone else allow their car to hibernate during the winter?

Both my toys ready for a long rest...

x7IKB.jpg

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm being brave. My brand new toy will be driven all winter. Next year I may buy a cheap beater though.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I'm brave enough. And so is my car. Together, our intrepid spirit will conquer all the things the weather has to throw at us. That includes above freezing 38 degree night time temps, light rain and frosted windshields,
Our task is perilous, but our focus is clear.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
My Miata is out still, probably for the rest of the week, then getting put to bed. I've already got a friend's CBR600, a MK3 MR2, and a MK2 MR2 race car, and am waiting on another motorcycle and maybe another Miata. That's what I get for being the first in my group of friends to buy a house with a lot of garage storage space. :p

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I just park mine in the driveway, use the wife's Forester when there's snow or salt or any wetness on the ground. I'll drive if it's dry and sunny and the roads don't have that white haze from all the damn salt. I'd rather spare my car the underbody corrosion and skip the snow tires and just use the Subaru. It also keeps my yearly miles a little lower.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm putting the snow tires on wife's WRX today. She still has her Summer rubber on, and today's high/low is forecast to be 32/24, with chance of snow.

I made her drive my Mazdaspeed 6 today, which has all-seasons. I won't switch out my all-seasons until after Thanksgiving, because we're probably going to use it to road trip down to Mississippi to visit relatives.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
My GTO got its garage bay back this weekend. With all my yard equipment plus the interior from my project car pulled out, I had to park it in the driveway which sucks because it got filthy and rained on. I had a shed put up this past week though and Sunday finally relocated the tools, power equipment and car parts.

Before:
BavWk.jpg

After:
ijnuI.jpg

New Shed:
walAg.jpg

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
My winter car has awesome snow tires on it, I actually can't wait for the snow to fall now that my summer car is away. It may sound weird, but I love driving through snow storms.

I'd rather spare my car the underbody corrosion...

This is mainly why I put my car away for the winter. Towns around here are not shy on their salt use during the winter, and all my previous winter cars can attest to that. I picked up my T/A from WV and was surprised to see the underbody so clean. I want to keep it that way.

OH yeah and Pontiac FTW!

:cool::thumbsup:

Vetterin

Aug 31, 2004
I'll be putting the Corvette in my Aunt's garage on Thanksgiving day and I hoping I don't need to put the snow tires on my Cruze until Christmas.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
This is mainly why I put my car away for the winter. Towns around here are not shy on their salt use during the winter, and all my previous winter cars can attest to that. I picked up my T/A from WV and was surprised to see the underbody so clean. I want to keep it that way.

That's why I always get my cars washed in between storms, at one of those touchless automatic washers with undercarriage spray.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
That's why I always get my cars washed in between storms, at one of those touchless automatic washers with undercarriage spray.

I can't take my Trans Am through any automatic car washes, the windows don't seal well and it gets a little wet inside during high-pressure washes. :oops:

It's on the to-do-fixit list.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I use to store my Z-28. Here is the procedure I followed:
1) Fill gas tank and add Stabil and then run car for at least 15 minutes to get Stabil thru entire fuel system.
2) Either over inflate tire or put the car on jacks. Otherwise, the steel cords in the radial tires will permanantly bend and cause noise.
3) Remove battery.
4) Store vehicle inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.