its taken me 23 yrs... ive finally seen Citizen Kane

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
pretty good

it must have been a new technique at the time (1941)..

they show this mogul (think howard hughes crossed with w.r. hearst)'s death and he says Rosebud right before he dies...

the movie is a bunch of flash backs trying to figure out what it meant, but in the mean time it describes his life....

the ending is very clever

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
pretty good

it must have been a new technique at the time (1941)..

they show this mogul (think howard hughes crossed with w.r. hearst)'s death and he says Rosebud right before he dies...

the movie is a bunch of flash backs trying to figure out what it meant, but in the mean time it describes his life....

the ending is very clever

Actually it was pretty squarely aimed at Hearst, so much so that RKO delayed the release due to pressure from him.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
i haven't seen it yet and will politely back out of this thread so as to avoid spoilers. ;)

btw, i'm older than you. :p

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
rosebud...

rose.gif

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
While the techniques may be special, I was never really impressed with the film.

Taggart

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
From IMDB:

William Randolph Hearst was infuriated by this movie, obviously based on his life. According to an essay written for the New York Review of Books by Gore Vidal "Rosebud" was Hearst's name for long-time mistress Marion Davies' clitoris. But screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz insisted that he took the name from a bicycle he owned as a child.