It's Strawberry Season Again! Now With Pic!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I went out and got a flat of organic local berries - variety Wendy - and are they ever delicious.

So, I am making strawberry jam (low sugar) and other goodies as I see fit.

I hope others out there are doing the same. You can't beat good, fresh strawberries.

:D

pic:

1624039228234.jpeg

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt know we had a strawberry season.

Do I need a permit? A tag? Is there a daily limit?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's one of the things I miss about California. I lived within 5 miles of at least 6 strawberry fields...When we left in 2012, a flat (6 quarts) was $6.
Here in Western WA, $6 will barely buy ONE quart of red deliciousness.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
.. wut?
berries come in between september and october where i come from.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Berries in the fall - depends on the berries. I live on the north shore of Lake Superior. Here Strawberries (on a pick-your-own farm, not wild) are available for 3-4 weeks beginning very early in July. Fresh-picked are ALWAYS MUCH tastier than any from a food store. Huckleberries (Canadians call them Saskatoons) and Raspberries come a couple weeks later. Blueberries in the wild peak later into August, along with Pincheries.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i should explain.

There is a hidden pathway i know of, just north of rome. A place we used to go camping in the 80s. Only local sheepherders use it, and it's overgrown with brambles and, berries. Of all kinds.
Between september and early october these bushes are so full of berries, we would take two large, 2L bottles and fill them to the brim with berries.

The strawberries are small .. much smaller than your supermarket variety. And .. if you try ONE wild strawberry, you will never eat another supermarket strawberry in your life.

Wild berries are exploding with taste and sweetness, and they put supermarket berries to shame. They are so mature and sweet that by the time the bottles were full, the bottom 1/4 of the bottle was berry juice - the most mindblowing berry juice any human has had.

so...

supermarket berries, i don't care for them. off-season berries pretty much the same, i cannot be persuaded online that june berries are anywhere as tasty as september berriers, but hey, you're welcome to fedex me a bottle of your local berries.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
i should explain.

There is a hidden pathway i know of, just north of rome. A place we used to go camping in the 80s. Only local sheepherders use it, and it's overgrown with brambles and, berries. Of all kinds.
Between september and early october these bushes are so full of berries, we would take two large, 2L bottles and fill them to the brim with berries.

The strawberries are small .. much smaller than your supermarket variety. And .. if you try ONE wild strawberry, you will never eat another supermarket strawberry in your life.

Wild berries are exploding with taste and sweetness, and they put supermarket berries to shame. They are so mature and sweet that by the time the bottles were full, the bottom 1/4 of the bottle was berry juice - the most mindblowing berry juice any human has had.
These? They grow like weeds in my garden.

20210619_121810.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Strawberry season is always good. I can get them at the supermarket around here and they're still great, farms are really close. Off season, not so much

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
homer_simpson_drool_sticker__79344.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: WelshBloke