Its official

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Text

Hmm if a smile can throw thier software off, it seems to me the software needs more work before investing in it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Anybody who has a smile on their face in the DMV is probably on something anyway, the places are intended to subtract years from one's life. Not as bad as social security office, but close.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
This approach may lead to more reliable identification going forward, but if a person is smiling in their old BMV photo, to NOT smile in the new photo would tend to throw off the face-recognition S/W.

So it seems to me that the real "rule" should be that people use a consistent facial expression across photos. Once a person has been positively identified, they should be given the opportunity of having yet another photo taken, with a changed expression.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'd hit it...err, I mean, emotionless Facial expressions have been the norm in these parts for a long time.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
The best way to move forward is to go back to how things were done before this unfinished software while simultaneously working on finishing the software. But that would make sense.. We don't do that in the US anymore.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: brxndxn
The best way to move forward is to go back to how things were done before this unfinished software while simultaneously working on finishing the software. But that would make sense.. We don't do that in the US anymore.

I was talking to my Sister yesterday and she told me all about her drama concerning ID. She just remarried(2nd Marriage) and she's still waiting for the Marriage Certificate so she can take her new name. That's not all though, she has certain older ID that need changed and some are still in her Maiden name.

This, as a Male, is something I never would have thought about and as I listened to her talk about all this, it suddenly hit me: We should have a Number! We could call ourselves whatever TF we wanted to be called, but for all purposes of Identification a Number would never have to be changed. I then proceeded to give her some longass number that even I couldn't remember, but she agreed that it would simplify things.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
This is so ridiculously stupid.

First off, BMV!? How lame is that? Everyone knows it's the DMV. Strike #1, Indiana.

Secondly, this is being implemented so that

The software compares applicants' new photographs with old photographs on file to protect them from identity fraud, said BMV commissioner Ron Stiver.

Ummm.... if you were smiling or had long hair or anything in a prior picture, the system is doomed to fail from the start. Strike #2, Indiana.

Then, what about facial hair? I'm pretty sure most FR software uses facial geometry, which can be fooled by facial hair (how do you calculate a jawline if there is no noticeable jaw?). Strike #3, Indiana.