It's official, Trump broke the law withholding aid to Ukraine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It is beyond my grasp as to why they havent figured out by now that is the never ending shit sandwich that is gonna keep on giving till the end of time. If they are thinking “we just gotta get through this trial and we are good”... I mean wtf... its only gonna get worse. THIS is their their chance to flush the turd and come out somewhat somewhat on the other end. GOP should love this chance.

I'm thinking the conflict between Moscow Mitch and crew desperately wanting to throw Trump under the broke dick bus they're driving and how doing just that will cost them dearly at the polls is why the Repubs in Congress are behaving like the fake world they built around themselves is about to explode in millions of tiny pieces.

They cannot help themselves to appear to be gutless sycophants of Trump in front of a world full of people that are laughing their asses off at the embarrassing conundrum the Repubs have put themselves in.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
sounds familiar, wonder who else has done that
Are you implying that it's alright to break the law as long as you think someone else may have done so as well? Because that's what it sounds like.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I've still got a little tiny candle lit up on my window sill hoping that enough evidence is produced during Trump's trial from within chambers and especially so from outside of it that will shame and humiliate the Repubs enough into giving up the kangaroo court they're going to hold for their boss and hold a fair and impartial trial that they *heh* "swore to abide by".

If not and Trump somehow gets reelected and the House remains in Dem control then I really do hope Pelosi gets Trump impeached the second after he gets sworn in......again.

For the obvious crimes Trump has committed he shouldn't be allowed a moment's pause from being investigated and pursued until he receives his just due and gets a nice warm welcome from SDNY as a gift from Pelosi.
Oh, just because the Senate will nullify this current crop of crimes, does not mean that Trump will slow down his criminal activity. He may have Barr in his pocket, but he'll get caught again. The Senate will give him all the rope he needs.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Oh, just because the Senate will nullify this current crop of crimes, does not mean that Trump will slow down his criminal activity. He may have Barr in his pocket, but he'll get caught again. The Senate will give him all the rope he needs.

Yep, if Trump gets acquitted by Moscow Mitch and his bitches there's no telling what further really stupid dangerous things Trump will get himself in trouble with. He'll think that he was fully exonerated of any and all crimes he knows full well he commited and that the Senate had given him the green light to pull off just about any unlawful thing his corrupted rotten to the core heart desires.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Are you implying that it's alright to break the law as long as you think someone else may have done so as well? Because that's what it sounds like.
not at all but there are serious constitutional questions that the executive branch have addressed through the courts. It is fairly common practice in all administrations since the advent of the ICA - about 40 years - to "circumvent" some requirements if it suits a policy or political agenda. Doesn't make it right yet at the same time I wouldn't get in a tizzy over it just because of big, bad orange man.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
not at all but there are serious constitutional questions that the executive branch have addressed through the courts. It is fairly common practice in all administrations since the advent of the ICA - about 40 years - to "circumvent" some requirements if it suits a policy or political agenda. Doesn't make it right yet at the same time I wouldn't get in a tizzy over it just because of big, bad orange man.

Why does asking you a simple and straightforward question to clarify your extremely vague earlier statement make you believe that anyone is in a tizzy?
As it is, your response is unsatisfactory. Using executive powers for a personal political agenda, as the President did, is not a common practice. Or at least, it shouldn't be a common practice.
What it sounds like is that you don't care if the President breaks the law as long as he has an R next to his name.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It is beyond my grasp as to why they havent figured out by now that he is the never ending shit sandwich that is gonna keep on giving till the end of time. If they are thinking “we just gotta get through this trial and we are good”... I mean wtf... its only gonna get worse. THIS is their their chance to flush the turd and come out somewhat somewhat on the other end. GOP should love this chance.

But he's THEIR shit sandwich...and being in his aroma benefits them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It is beyond my grasp as to why they havent figured out by now that he is the never ending shit sandwich that is gonna keep on giving till the end of time. If they are thinking “we just gotta get through this trial and we are good”... I mean wtf... its only gonna get worse. THIS is their their chance to flush the turd and come out somewhat somewhat on the other end. GOP should love this chance.

Can't. The GOP base loves Trump in a way that defies reason. The silver tongued devil stole them away. So long as they're under Trump's spell then the GOP is under his thumb. There's also the minor matter that they get what they want from Trump & also that Pence would be a sure loser in 2020.

Trump? He's plumbing the depths of GOP moral depravity & hasn't hit bottom yet.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
None of this matters unless the Senate convicts.

And I have a better chance of winning the powerball without buying a single ticket than the senate convicting Trump and removing him from office.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Can't. The GOP base loves Trump in a way that defies reason. The silver tongued devil stole them away. So long as they're under Trump's spell then the GOP is under his thumb. There's also the minor matter that they get what they want from Trump & also that Pence would be a sure loser in 2020.

Trump? He's plumbing the depths of GOP moral depravity & hasn't hit bottom yet.

Yea I know that, I also understand that if there is to be "conservatism" post .. say 2024, then need to drop the shit sandwich now... Unless they have other plans in mind of course. Da?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
All the Republican senators will still vote against impeachment, and the only person who will be held accountable for this, is the GAO person(s) that Trump decided to fire over this story.

Meanwhile Trump supporters will add the GAO to their list of "deep state" enemies.
GAO works for Congress, not the President.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
No one found this?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I fail to see any connection to Trump or Ukraine. Would you care to explain how this is anything but a whataboutism derail attempt?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Name one instance where the executive branch used their executive powers for a personal political agenda ??

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I fail to see any connection to Trump or Ukraine. Would you care to explain how this is anything but a whataboutism derail attempt?

I'd like to know if anyone thinks Obama should've been impeached over the GAO saying he broke the law.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'd like to know if anyone thinks Obama should've been impeached over the GAO saying he broke the law.
That's irrelevant to Trump and Ukraine. If you're concerned about the instance you cite the proper action is to start a thread to discuss it, or join it to a relevant thread. In here it's just attempted whataboutism.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No one found this?

This was not a violation of law that is an assault against our system of government. Holding up the money to Ukraine not only was a violation of law but it was done to interfere in the upcoming 2020 election.

That's the difference in a crime vs a crime that is impeachable.

Driving 5 mph over the speed limit vs 50 mph over the limit are both crimes but handled VERY differently

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Trump is not being impeached because he broke the law. He is being impeached because he broke the law to use your tax money to extort a foreign leader in order to try and rig his own re-election.