It's official, the Republican Party has sold out on the alter of the golden calf that is Trump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This all reminds me - I wonder if Jonah Goldberg has had any second thoughts about his ‘liberal fascism’ book, considering the conservative party he supports became fascist less than ten years after he wrote it.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Impeached?
Colluded?
Yes and yes.
Thats why we are throwing him a fluff fest....

Nov 20, 2009
AND the worse part of it is that the politicians and political followers are just as culpable as the President. Those that vote for those politicians are your neighbors, your so called friends and colleagues. Those people are the ones saying that the last 3.5 years have been better than ever before. That 2020 has been a hallmark years of positiveness for the party and presidency. And here I thought religion was bad.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
AND the worse part of it is that the politicians and political followers are just as culpable as the President. Those that vote for those politicians are your neighbors, your so called friends and colleagues. Those people are the ones saying that the last 3.5 years have been better than ever before. That 2020 has been a hallmark years of positiveness for the party and presidency. And here I thought religion was bad.
This is extremely important to remember. Things didn’t end this disastrously just because of Trump - every federal Republican official except Mitt Romney is complicit in this and they ALL need to be held responsible.

For most of them that just means voting them out of office because they betrayed their oath. For some like Devin Nunes though we need to be open to prosecution.

Reactions: hal2kilo

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It's official, the Republican Party has sold out on the alter of the golden calf that is Trump

They have sold out. And I can't understand WHY once mostly sane people now prefer to follow someone like Donald Trump? Are they getting paid? My Trumpie family members are having a heyday watching the convention. And while they seem to wallow in the evils of Donald Trump, my Trumpies are posting fake weird links on facebook about conspiracy theories concerning Joe Biden. Did you know that Joe Biden was the master mind behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks? :rolleyes:

These Trumpie people were not always nutcases. They were once non-conspiracist and have been well educated. I can see some mindless hick from Kentucky believing in Trump, but college educated people? This is truly like the movie INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, where some foreign alien entity has taken over the body. I just don't get it. And in the past most of these Trumpies would have had nothing to do with the likes of Donald Trump Jr or his wicked witch of the west butt ugly girlfriend.

I guess there have always been sick evil people in the world like Donald Trump and the Trump family, but what is different are the people that chose to follow. And.... these Trump followers also claim to be moral, decent, religious god fearing christians. I really am dumb founded. If putting fluoride in the water supply or having 5G networking can cause strange behavior in people, Trumpies are certainly the proof needed for that. This odd behavior beats any horror film that Stephen King could write. Even Stephen King couldn't make this stuff up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

They have sold out. And I can't understand WHY once mostly sane people now prefer to follow someone like Donald Trump? Are they getting paid? My Trumpie family members are having a heyday watching the convention. And while they seem to wallow in the evils of Donald Trump, my Trumpies are posting fake weird links on facebook about conspiracy theories concerning Joe Biden. Did you know that Joe Biden was the master mind behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks? :rolleyes:

These Trumpie people were not always nutcases. They were once non-conspiracist and have been well educated. I can see some mindless hick from Kentucky believing in Trump, but college educated people? This is truly like the movie INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, where some foreign alien entity has taken over the body. I just don't get it. And in the past most of these Trumpies would have had nothing to do with the likes of Donald Trump Jr or his wicked witch of the west butt ugly girlfriend.

I guess there have always been sick evil people in the world like Donald Trump and the Trump family, but what is different are the people that chose to follow. And.... these Trump followers also claim to be moral, decent, religious god fearing christians. I really am dumb founded. If putting fluoride in the water supply or having 5G networking can cause strange behavior in people, Trumpies are certainly the proof needed for that. This odd behavior beats any horror film that Stephen King could write. Even Stephen King couldn't make this stuff up.
The Republican Party has been functionally insane for a long time now, long before Trump. Remember how in 2011 they came within inches of crashing the world economy because Obama wouldn’t cut spending like they wanted to?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The Republican Party has been functionally insane for a long time now, long before Trump. Remember how in 2011 they came within inches of crashing the world economy because Obama wouldn’t cut spending like they wanted to?

Pat Buchanan + Newt Gingrich are the architects of modern day conservatives. Fear and bullshit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

You know things are going great in American politics when a minority party can almost indefinitely sustain majority rule, constantly try to wreck everything with deeply unpopular polices, and then very effectively blame Democrats for not doing a better job of stopping them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Pat Buchanan + Newt Gingrich are the architects of modern day conservatives. Fear and bullshit.

Yes, plus an obliging media sphere from the Murdoch family where reality is not reality.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What's with their use of the word 'whereas'? It adds nothing to their statements whatsoever, removing it actually helps make the document easier to understand.

Let me try it on:
WHEREAS, I went to the toilet today!
Whereas makes any statement look officially sanctioned by the *legal community*

Don't fuck with whereas! William Barr with target your ass.

• Haha
Reactions: mikeymikec

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I agree with their 2016 platform...don't you ?

“The survival of the internet as we know it is at risk,” the platform reads. “Its gravest peril originates in the White House, the current occupant of which has launched a campaign, both at home and internationally, to subjugate it to agents of government.”

"his administration for, among other things, imposing “a social and cultural revolution,” causing a “huge increase in the national debt” and damaging relationships with international partners."

I agree.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I agree with their 2016 platform...don't you ?

“The survival of the internet as we know it is at risk,” the platform reads. “Its gravest peril originates in the White House, the current occupant of which has launched a campaign, both at home and internationally, to subjugate it to agents of government.”

"his administration for, among other things, imposing “a social and cultural revolution,” causing a “huge increase in the national debt” and damaging relationships with international partners."

I agree.
Miss Smith, print me two copies.

Nov 29, 2006
Well they haven't had a real platform they stood behind for as long as i could remember. But its hard to do that when you are a hypocrite. So not much loss.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
One of the key messages of his 2016 message of a hollowed out middle class raided by corrupt politicians seems to have been left behind. That message was pretty effective in the rust belt but now it's gone and replaced by trump worship, fear mongering of a not so radical left Biden, and culture war stuff. I don't think that is a recipe for success when you have 30- 50 million people struggling to get by right now.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
They recycled the 2016 platform. It took me less than 10 seconds to find the story and explanation.
Yes, when called on the fact that they, Republicans are a cult party of Trump sycophants, they immediately what the conservative mind wants to do, rationalize away that uncomfortable ego destroying bit of factual information with a more pleasant rationalization, that we are adopting the 2016 convention. This gives conservatives a new place to stand without any discomfort of self questioning. Then we learn that the 2016 platform attacks the then current President, Obama, with all sorts of criticism that if they are adopting the 2016 platform would mean they are attacking Trump in their platform. So you have fallen behind on the latest way to rationalize away the uncomfortable truth that their current platform, the one they didn't have but then pretended was from 2016 says Trump is an ass. You will be lost until the next rationalization is promulgated to deal with that unpleasant fact.

You need to stop dealing with rationalizations created to stop real thinking and admit to yourself the Republican Party is a party filled with Stockholm victims. Conservatives are terrified of being different, terrified of what they have seen happen to black sheep. I am a black sheep. I paid the price of breaking the chains that bound me. And I suffered deeply for it. I am not alone. And I had teachers that helped me. The world is up side down, backward and inside out. In the real word it is black sheep that are white. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. I can tell you in honest belief that the good that drives your misplaced convictions is the only thing that is real. The good that you seek to defend always wins and needs no defense.

Remember that what people criticize about you, your capacity for denial, is the thing about you that makes me know you are good. The faithful, the believer, defends his or her faith. I say there is a Knowing the Truth, that makes the notion it needs to be defended ridiculous. Remember, the world is up side down. Those who defend faith actually struggle with belief. Modesty is ego. I don't believe anything. I have experienced the joy of being. Truth isn't found in words it is lived in a state of consciousness free of thought. To taste is to change everything. Love you but with only my tiny damaged capacity to do so. I don't remember everything that happened to me that made me fear.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
There's a plus side. I detest the GOP, have done so since the Ken Starr days. Before that I might have possibly voted for one of them. So IF he drags them down for at least one election cycle, that is a good thing. Maybe we can get some of those environmental regulations put back in (because we all happen to need clean water, don't you know). Maybe we can start the process of rebuilding the State and other depts that have been gutted, and start rebuilding relationships with the rest of the world.

The Republicans are doing nothing more than rallying around a guy who says right out loud what they mostly have had to dogwhistle and hint at for decades. It must be very refreshing. Trump hasn't changed the party at all, other than to strip away a layer of statesmanship and token adherence to civility and reason.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There's a lot of college educated people who aren't well educated. You have to take responsibility for yourself if you want to be educated. You aren't taught to do that. Some educators do try to instill that in their students, but the students have to take it upon themselves at some point if they're to become truly educated.

I have encountered multiple people who have been extremely successful in their lives who intensely resisted being socialized at higher education facilities. People who go to college to get "the experience" are deluded. If they don't go for an education, they are blowing it. "The experience" will fuck you up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well they haven't had a real platform they stood behind for as long as i could remember. But its hard to do that when you are a hypocrite. So not much loss.
Kind of exposes how vacuous conservatives are of any principles other than maintaining power.

Reactions: Muse

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The Republicans are doing nothing more than rallying around a guy who says right out loud what they mostly have had to dogwhistle and hint at for decades. It must be very refreshing. Trump hasn't changed the party at all, other than to strip away a layer of statesmanship and token adherence to civility and reason.
Chisel this in stone.

Reactions: Meghan54

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
One of the key messages of his 2016 message of a hollowed out middle class raided by corrupt politicians seems to have been left behind. That message was pretty effective in the rust belt but now it's gone and replaced by trump worship, fear mongering of a not so radical left Biden, and culture war stuff. I don't think that is a recipe for success when you have 30- 50 million people struggling to get by right now.

It's the natural consequence of boom/bust capitalism. Every time the wizards of Wall St crash the economy, the big guys come back stronger & more little people get dumped on the side of the road. Trickle down is a lie. It's actually a form of looting.

Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

It is religion, just under a different name.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's the natural consequence of boom/bust capitalism. Every time the wizards of Wall St crash the economy, the big guys come back stronger & more little people get dumped on the side of the road. Trickle down is a lie. It's actually a form of looting.
Tell people that greed is good and they will do everything in their power to prevent being looted by greed themselves. There is no bate better to loot a fool than the promise he will be doing the looting. Self hate creates a state of emotional need that can't be filled and bright psychopaths who make the best CEO's know this instinctively.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It is religion, just under a different name.
It is the worst among us who torture others and it is torture that produces Stockholm Syndrome. The Republican party offers a haven for those most tortured and release in the promise they will be torturing others. It's a death spiral. A Kool-Ade cult that will drink bleach and breathe the virus, kill universal health care and social security. The Republican party is a haven for our sickest individuals, the worst among us having been subjected to the worst torture in childhood. They have had real self respect wiped from them and join a herd for safety. The phony gold and greed and hatred their party offers substitutes for real self love.

Reactions: ivwshane