Its official: TFC is now GlobalFoundries

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
The foundry spinoff, dubbed GlobalFoundries (Sunnyvale, Calif.), has one 300-mm fab in operation, with another two on the drawing board. The company will compete against other foundry vendors, but the startup has its sights set on market leader Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (TSMC).

http://www.eetimes.com/news/se...l;?articleID=215800352

edit: adding this semiconductor international article which delves a little more deeply into the challenges GF has ahead of it.

Joanne Itow, foundry analyst at Semico Research (Phoenix), said GlobalFoundries? strategy is reminiscent of the approach IBM took when it said it would be a major foundry. ?IBM also took a premier customer strategy when IBM first thought it was going to conquer the foundry business,? she said.

IBM?s strategy ran up against what Itow called TSMC?s ?nearly perfect reputation? for serving its customers. She said many foundry customers also find that if they give TSMC nearly all of their wafers, they get ?added benefits? that keep them tied closely to TSMC.

http://www.semiconductor.net/article/CA6641516.html

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
At least it's not KFC

:D

True :laugh:

But there is a certain irony in company whose fab is currently located in one location (Dresden) calling themselves GlobalFoundries.

They are hardly any more global than TSMC is, and with their one fab I'm not sure why they felt it necessary to pluralize themselves as "foundries" versus "foundry".

A little fish in big pond calling itself "the blue whale".

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
dude ive been looking at lc too long.

TFC i almost thought WTF The Fesser Company is doing WHAT?

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Idontcare
But there is a certain irony in company whose fab is currently located in one location (Dresden) calling themselves GlobalFoundries.

They are hardly any more global than TSMC is, and with their one fab I'm not sure why they felt it necessary to pluralize themselves as "foundries" versus "foundry".

Well, as the saying goes: "dress for the job you want, not the job you have" :D

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: iCyborg
Originally posted by: Idontcare

Well, as the saying goes: "dress for the job you want, not the job you have" :D

THAT was delicious :thumbsup: