It's Official: Forza headed to PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Default assists let you slam the throttle and drive the entire track. It will brake for you and everything.

Assists slow you down for the most part. All that crap that auto slows you down drives me crazy. Whenever I race against someone on Forza with default assists, I would always choose 1-2 classes lower because of how slow they are going.

If you ever want to get in the top 100 for a race track time, nearly every assist must be off.

I get the feeling you know this though.... :cool:

But if anyone ever wants to shave off 5-10 seconds on their track time and cornering speed should try the game on a Custom professional setting. Even that racing/braking line is incredibly conservative which means it will have the racer braking well below their car's ability. It takes barely any time to master turns without any assist.

I also find the game far, far more rewarding and responsive. With the Xbox Controller's haptic feedback, it is easy to feel the car at the limit. I can't say how much more alive the car feels when the assists are off. Doesn't feel like a lazy arcade racing game genre which has been around forever.

I guess this is why I am so excited for another "Racing Simulator" to arrive on PC. Forza is by far my favorite racing sim I've ever played.

For any Racing sim beginners, definitely try it on the Xbox controller with the clutch swapped with the handbrake. Choose a track you like and learn it. I also recommend turning off the minimap to make it more of a challenge.

I still haven't memorized the Nurburgring though... Top Gear Test track on the other hand....

edit: Playing manual w/ Clutch is FAR FAR faster than automatic and manual. Swapping the clutch w/ handbrake button in settings allows to change gear and press the clutch in with the thumb instead of with two fingers. It is amazing at how much performance can be gained from removing those disgusting assists.

I definitely recommend playing solo until the track is memorized. Really helps in competitive races.

Last edited:
Reactions: sxr7171

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
At least it is running well. As I said previously many windows store games have has problems.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I play most of my racing games on PC, but I do have Driveclub on PS4 which I enver play anymore since it's so bland and Forza 5 & 6 on XB1, had Forza 2-4 on XB360. But I guess I'll probably get rid of my XB1 soon since Forza 6 is ready for PC, well once I'm finished with the Halo 5 campaign.

(Probably not what Microsoft wants to happen)

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
It looks like we may be getting a full game after all.
[UPDATE 5/9/16, 10:51 p.m.] We’re excited that so many people have downloaded and are now enjoying Forza Motorsport 6: Apex on Windows 10. We’ve seen questions regarding the open beta timetable and we can confirm that there will be no break between the open beta period and the launch of the game. In addition, any car unlocks you purchase during the open beta period will automatically carry over once Apex is fully launched later in the year.

LINK
(scroll down, it's the 2nd paragraph under the 1st screenshot)

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Tried it quickly last night with XBone controller, but can't control cars worth a damn without assists. G27 still boxed up since moving. Will revisit once wheel support is added.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Forza 6 heavily taxing 2 of 4 threads, game runs well but it doesn't mean it's properly optimized.

forza6apex_cpu.png

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
But if anyone ever wants to shave off 5-10 seconds on their track time and cornering speed should try the game on a Custom professional setting. Even that racing/braking line is incredibly conservative which means it will have the racer braking well below their car's ability. It takes barely any time to master turns without any assist.

edit: Playing manual w/ Clutch is FAR FAR faster than automatic and manual. Swapping the clutch w/ handbrake button in settings allows to change gear and press the clutch in with the thumb instead of with two fingers. It is amazing at how much performance can be gained from removing those disgusting assists.

I definitely recommend playing solo until the track is memorized. Really helps in competitive races.

Right now, I have all the assists off EXCEPT clutch. I don't know if I'm quick enough to move my thumb from the clutch button to the shift button. I wish I had one of those controllers that lets you press buttons with your other fingers.

Oh and the brake line - but I generally go through the corners with the thing still red.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Right now, I have all the assists off EXCEPT clutch. I don't know if I'm quick enough to move my thumb from the clutch button to the shift button. I wish I had one of those controllers that lets you press buttons with your other fingers.

Oh and the brake line - but I generally go through the corners with the thing still red.

You can press them at the same time for instant shifting with clutch. Many people use this method on the xbox where A is clutch and B is up shift and X would be down shift so you just hit both A and B at the same time to shift.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Wow, I just spent over an hour trying to finish the Rio/P1 race. That car is a handful! And in those tight areas of that Rio National Track reverse track, you get it even the least bit sideways, you're done.

It got a little hairy a couple times, inadvertently drifted, but I did it, got the win and all 3 medals.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I'm so glad this came out for pc, I was debating getting a xbox one just for this game, I haven't been able to get my 290x to work with it yet, so that maybe getting dumped on ebay and upgraded to a 1080gtx.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm so glad this came out for pc, I was debating getting a xbox one just for this game, I haven't been able to get my 290x to work with it yet, so that maybe getting dumped on ebay and upgraded to a 1080gtx.

For one game it is hard to spend $300+ on a console so I think a lot of people are relieved to see it arrive on PC.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
So has anyone bought the Nascar expansion pack for Forza 6? The demo video showed 24 cars on the track at once. Thinking about buying it.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Am I the only one that cannot stand the physics in this game? I play a fair number of racing games, including things like Dirt Rally (which I love).

But I swear this game is designed to be more difficult than actual racing. And yes I turned off all the assist as I hate them. But the way the cars will just randomly spin out on what is a nearly straight piece of road is extremely annoying. I have driven real cars at some high rates of speeds, and never had one just randomly decide it wants to flip around. Maybe Forza 6: Apex is different than other versions, but I hated this game, and uninstalled it after bout 5 hours of play.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Am I the only one that cannot stand the physics in this game? I play a fair number of racing games, including things like Dirt Rally (which I love).

But I swear this game is designed to be more difficult than actual racing. And yes I turned off all the assist as I hate them. But the way the cars will just randomly spin out on what is a nearly straight piece of road is extremely annoying. I have driven real cars at some high rates of speeds, and never had one just randomly decide it wants to flip around. Maybe Forza 6: Apex is different than other versions, but I hated this game, and uninstalled it after bout 5 hours of play.

I can't speak to Apex, but having owned all the other Forza games (sans Horizon), I can't say I've ever experienced that in game before.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I just installed Forza 6 Apex the other day and was pleasantly surprised. They must have done a lot of updates because it runs really smooth for me and has an unlocked frame rate now. My 3570K/970 setup was able to stay locked at 60fps at 4K Ultra (2XAA) settings nearly the whole time I played. The only time it dipped down to the 40s and 50s was when the race first started or when a lot of cars crashed together. With the cap off, it was frequently in 80fps territory. Pretty impressive.

Now it just needs an HDR10 update... :O

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It's nice that it's being ported to PC and all, but it really looks like a port. Project Cars looks way better still.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
There's one thing to remain is whether the Windows store version will support wheels or not.

Physics in Forza is a bit off compared to other racing games that tries to be a sim, when turning off all assists, even slower cars slide around like it's on ice. But I've never had the problem like randomly spinning or flipping on a straight and I've played them all since Forza 2.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
GFD. I got all excited, then read the link which says Fanatec wheels aren't supported yet. I guess the wheel stays in the closet then.