It's Official: Forza headed to PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I enjoyed Forza 1 back in the day, if they have decent wheel support and good online racing it could be great, but it most likely going to be bad in handling MP and have poor wheel support lol
at least that's how the other console focused racing games have been on PC.

I rarely play online multiplayer with just about any racing game I've ever had. Between the lag and demolition derby mentality, there's hardly any racing.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Might go for it if it's on Steam and has wide wheel support. Not going to support Windows Store.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I for one am looking forward to this release. I love racing games and Forza is right up there in my top favorites list. I just hope they dont "F" it all up with micro purchases this and that. Or pull a Android Gaming app where you have to wait 24 hours to progress.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
are the graphics like the original forza 5 E3 graphics before the xbox one was revealed? I remember seeing those vids and my jaws dropped. Then after it released, it was just "meh".

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
are the graphics like the original forza 5 E3 graphics before the xbox one was revealed? I remember seeing those vids and my jaws dropped. Then after it released, it was just "meh".

It wouldn't matter because it would run at 20fps because every game MS has launched on windows store has run like utter crap with no mGPU support, no exclusive fullscreen, no mod support, no support for overlays like FRAPS or Afterburner. Some of them even launched with broken vsync and no support for gsync etc

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Just downloaded the Apex Beta from the Windows Store and played around with it for a little bit.

Can't max all graphical settings. Ultra apparently requires too much VRAM or something, which my R9 290 does not meet apparently. Haven't tested the new hot fix drivers from AMD yet, so I don't know if it'll make much of a difference.

FPS is initially locked at 30, you have to set it to 60 after finishing a race. That said, at 1080p on a HIGH graphical preset, I was able to maintain a consistent 60 FPS at all times with minor drops at rare occasions. And that's with all 15 AI drivers on screen at once. Even with current drivers, I still had a pleasant experience. Not exactly the prettiest looking game, but it didn't bother me that much.

Core i5-4460 at 3.2 GHz
MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB
8 GB of RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

Apart from the fact that it's a Beta with in-app purchases (no surprise there), I enjoyed the small time I spent with it. I hope to god they polish the game nicely for final release.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
damn... looking at the comparison between Forza 6 Apex and Forza 6 Xbox One, The xbox one looks to be superior graphics wise... The PC looks kind of washed out, and it's also missing some shadows.... Still nothing beats that one demo of forza 5 when jimmy fallon played it in his studio.. Just watched it again, and I don't see any car game that has graphics better than that... Well, artistically at least... it just looks way too convincing..

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
As someone who owns Forza 6 on Xbone, and and now Forza 6 Apex, I can confidently say that Apex looks MUCH better than the original game on Xbone.

Don't get me wrong, Forza 6 is one of the best-looking console games I've ever seen, but you can see where they cut corners with the graphics. Cutscenes run at a reduced framerate, reflections run at a reduced framerate, aggressive LOD reduces lots of detail at distance, and no AA makes the game suffer from jaggies.

The PC version solves all of these problems (but you have to go into the video settings to max everything out). It looks incredible. Literally everything runs at a butter smooth 60fps, 4xMSAA eliminates the jaggies, and everything just looks more detailed in general.

It's definitely not a full game; it only has a fraction of the content that the Xbox One version has. I think it's more of a tech demo to show what Forza can look like on a proper gaming PC.

If you use Windows 10, there's no reason not to try it out. It's free after all.

AndreM

Apr 29, 2016
For someone that have played a lot of Trackmania, It's time to get one Forza on the computer. Love the graphics, you think they will put a lot of effort in doing upgrades from beta as a response to users feedback?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I tried the beta last night. For me it seemed to play well at high settings when I overclocked my videocard. It auto picked medium settings when I first ran the game.
The game looked nice but nothing I haven't seen before graphically.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
As someone who owns Forza 6 on Xbone, and and now Forza 6 Apex, I can confidently say that Apex looks MUCH better than the original game on Xbone.

Don't get me wrong, Forza 6 is one of the best-looking console games I've ever seen, but you can see where they cut corners with the graphics. Cutscenes run at a reduced framerate, reflections run at a reduced framerate, aggressive LOD reduces lots of detail at distance, and no AA makes the game suffer from jaggies.

The PC version solves all of these problems (but you have to go into the video settings to max everything out). It looks incredible. Literally everything runs at a butter smooth 60fps, 4xMSAA eliminates the jaggies, and everything just looks more detailed in general.

It's definitely not a full game; it only has a fraction of the content that the Xbox One version has. I think it's more of a tech demo to show what Forza can look like on a proper gaming PC.

If you use Windows 10, there's no reason not to try it out. It's free after all.

I think it's also a way for them to iron out hardware and software compatibility issues before the launch of Forza 7 or Forza Horizon 3. When either of those games launches, they will have much more information on how different hardware performs and where the problem areas are.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
For free, this is pretty nice.

Also kind of fun to finally experience the impulse triggers. The concept of dynamically scaling graphics settings is nice, too. It even largely implements it without my noticing, at least. I did go in a change a few settings to always be low, and locked the fps at 30 since my PC isn't the beast this thing is requiring.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
On my GTX970m/i7-4720hq laptop, I set it to target 60fps, I set everything to dynamic except the car textures/models, track textures, aniso and the mirrors. Those were all set to the highest. When I have less than 3 cars in front, it seems to run a locked 60 with those settings. More than 3 cars and I think it drops to 30fps due to vsync, but it still feels very smooth at 30fps.

Wish I could actually have a framerate overlay.

Edit:
Edit: Forza engine is weird. With the settings above, I was getting those slight frame drops and some weird hitching/stuttering. I went back and set everything to max just to run a replay and get some cool pics, and after seeing the performance in the reply, ran a race like that. It runs better at max settings than it did with things on dynamic!

Beautiful game, though (except the grass on the right, lol.)
6BOuaMS.jpg

Last edited:

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Love it. Works great on my Elite controller. Really impressive amount of content for this demo.

I highly recommend turning off ALL the assists. I swapped my handbrake button for the clutch which makes changing gear a breeze. Playing on a Custom max difficulty takes no time at all to get used to. I turned on Rewind since I am a little rusty...

They have my favorite tracks along with an excellent selection of cars. I am someone who likes to go for track time records. Might sound lame to most, but I have the most amount of fun racing by having staggered launches. The player with the best lap and the player with least lap time overall gets medals. Clean racing :)

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
I just want the Original Forza Graphics engine displayed @ E3 a few years ago. Man those graphics were photo real! The reflections, lighting, and just over art direction just looked amazing... The one released for XB1... was a bit underwhelming...

I think if Forza 6 look like Drive Club, that would be a good start don't you think? I mean for the Xbox One.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
I just want the Original Forza Graphics engine displayed @ E3 a few years ago. Man those graphics were photo real! The reflections, lighting, and just over art direction just looked amazing... The one released for XB1... was a bit underwhelming...

Eh... E3 trailers always make a game look good before they get released. Same shit with Watch Dogs. Same exact thing with The Witcher 3. Not surprised they did the exact same thing with Forza's graphics before its worldwide launch.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Love it. Works great on my Elite controller. Really impressive amount of content for this demo.

I highly recommend turning off ALL the assists. I swapped my handbrake button for the clutch which makes changing gear a breeze. Playing on a Custom max difficulty takes no time at all to get used to. I turned on Rewind since I am a little rusty...

They have my favorite tracks along with an excellent selection of cars. I am someone who likes to go for track time records. Might sound lame to most, but I have the most amount of fun racing by having staggered launches. The player with the best lap and the player with least lap time overall gets medals. Clean racing :)

Default assists let you slam the throttle and drive the entire track. It will brake for you and everything.