It's Official: Forza headed to PC

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-01-report-forza-is-heading-to-pc

UPDATE: Confirmed, all future Forza Motorsport titles being developed concurrently for Xbox and PC.

UPDATE: The embargo has lifted on the event and it's been confirmed that Forza is coming to PC. Forza Motorsport 6: Apex will feature 12 themed events and 60 cars, and is not - in the words of Microsoft - a 'microtransaction-driven game'. IGN has more details, and also reports that all future Forza Motorsport games will be developed concurrently for PC and Xbox platforms.

ORIGINAL STORY: Microsoft is bringing its Forza Motorsport series to the PC later this year, with a stripped back free-to-play version of last year's instalment, dubbed Forza Motorsport 6: Apex, coming to Windows 10 this spring.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Wonder if it will only be in that crappy MS store though just like Gears of War just got released (and is a POS from what I have read)

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Wonder if it will only be in that crappy MS store though just like Gears of War just got released (and is a POS from what I have read)

Whether its a crappy port or not will be determined by who does it, but it will likely be on MS store because that's the reason they are doing it: to get users to use the store. In a world where Ubisoft has Uplay, EA has Origin, and Steam has...well...everything else...it was just a matter of time before MS started using its own front end to distribute its self published software.

MS is like the Borg lately. Resistance is futile.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

From what it sounded like, yes, it will be restricted to the Windows Store. It's also not a standard Forza game. It's actually a free-to-play game where you get 60 cars and six race environments. You unlock other cars through earning in-game currency, or you can buy the currency instead. So, yes... this game will have microtransactions, and I've seen no indication that there will be a simple "pay $60, get everything" model.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I just want the Original Forza Graphics engine displayed @ E3 a few years ago. Man those graphics were photo real! The reflections, lighting, and just over art direction just looked amazing... The one released for XB1... was a bit underwhelming...

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
All these Windows store garbage titles are going to bomb out. Bugs, can't even have exclusive full screen, performance issues and it's tied to the crappy windows store.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hope it's good, with good support for Wheels/Controllers, few bugs, and decent performance for what it offers in the realm of Graphical fidelity. There are no good reasons why a Port from XBone to PC shouldn't be good, other than the bad track record for Ports anyway. :D:D

I'd be all over it if it's good though.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
YES!!!! I don't care if I have to use Windows Store to get it, I wanna play Forza!!! Glad MS is finally leveraging their biggest asset.

If they make me use a Xbox compatible wheel to play it.... errrrrrrr!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I hope it's good, with good support for Wheels/Controllers

Unfortunately, Turn 10 hasn't been very forthcoming on that information:

The worst news at this point is that Turn 10 failed to give any concrete answers about steering wheel support: “As a first party developer, we can release games for free with the goal of moving the [PC] platform forward. Wheels are one way to do that.” Racing game fans who pony up for expensive PCs are surely going to wonder why Turn 10 isn’t doling out equal love for expensive steering-wheel rigs.
(source)

decent performance for what it offers in the realm of Graphical fidelity.

At least from what the article quoted above states, they were running it on an i7-6700k + GTX 980 Ti at 4K. Here are some good tidbits from the article:

That’s because I’ve finally seen a version of Forza that exists in 4K resolution—and at 60 frames a second.

Granted, I caught Turn 10 cutting a few corners to lock its game’s framerate, including its usual trick of locking rearview-mirror views at 30fps. There was also with some underwhelming shadow rendering and a rare flash of low-poly cars further ahead on the track. Still, the single race I saw included ridiculous paint reflections, light-ray effects, car-loaded roads, detail-rich ground textures, and luscious foliage.

Turn 10 told Ars that it ran the demo on a machine with an i7-6700k CPU, a GTX 980Ti, 32GB of RAM, and an SSD. Turn 10 insisted that the game will scale down to lower specs for the large number of Windows PC owners who use little more than Intel HD Graphics for 3D acceleration. Players will be able to fine-tune most settings, tilting the balance between higher fidelity and higher framerates.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Unfortunately, Turn 10 hasn't been very forthcoming on that information:

At least from what the article quoted above states, they were running it on an i7-6700k + GTX 980 Ti at 4K. Here are some good tidbits from the article:

If it works with a controller or wheel on an xBox, I would think that wheel support for the PC version would be trivial. If it doesn't support wheels, I won't end up playing it anyway...

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Considering both are going to be on win10 and dx12 anymore, I'd be more surprised if we don't start seeing more xbox one games come to PC. I'm looking forward to halo.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
While from what I understand, it's great that future Forza titles are going to be on PC as well (Forza 7), that's at least another 2 years off.

And this "Forza 6: Apex" or whatever the hell they're talking about now. 60 cars? EL-oh-EL. The XB1 version launched with, what, 460?
This will be some freeware garbage title, and you'll be nickle-and-dimed for every other car worth a damn. :thumbsdown:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Wheel support is probably coming. Jeff Gerstmann said they were doing this game as a way to develop a developer framework to more easily make DX12 games. Supposedly any support they add to the framework should be universal for anyone that uses the framework. Right now they have a variety of gamepads supported and the rep he talked to said wheels were on the way. I think they don't want to officially commit to it at launch because as we know, the gaming community can get CRAZY if things aren't as promised.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I'll try since it's free. Won't be caught dead buying a Windows store game unless they fix their crap. Really sucks they're bringing some nice games to pc and just gimping the he'll out of it.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I like Forza, but I reserve the right to see it first. If it was a pre order deal, no way. To be fair, I'm pretty much no "pre" anything these days.

I have Project Cars but it is unplayable with an Xbox controller.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I like Forza, but I reserve the right to see it first. If it was a pre order deal, no way. To be fair, I'm pretty much no "pre" anything these days.

I have Project Cars but it is unplayable with an Xbox controller.
I drive just fine with an XB1 controller (PC version). Later I can post screenshots of my settings.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
@ronbo613:
pcars1.png

pcars2.png

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
Sometime I even wonder why I bother buying an Xbox One? I guess I have money to spend blah. LOL but at the same time I'm so happy for Forza on PC. Now one racing wheel will work for all...I hope unless MS is up to their usual BS.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
@ronbo613

Thanks for showing your settings. I have an Xbox360 controller but the principles are the same. I'll try them out. Dirt Rally works fine with tweaked controller settings, hopefully these will work.

The lower powered vehicles aren't so bad, but I have trouble keeping the high end cars under control.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for showing your settings. I have an Xbox360 controller but the principles are the same. I'll try them out. Dirt Rally works fine with tweaked controller settings, hopefully these will work.

The lower powered vehicles aren't so bad, but I have trouble keeping the high end cars under control.
The Formula Renault 3.5 and a couple other cars are challenging to drive, but keep in mind you need to do at least a lap or lap and half before tires are optimial temps, they often start out cold and feels like driving on ice so feather the throttle like you're petting a baby bearded lizard with your finger. I can pull pretty fast lap times with the Formula Renault 3.5 with stock tunings using the XB1 controller.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I enjoyed Forza 1 back in the day, if they have decent wheel support and good online racing it could be great, but it most likely going to be bad in handling MP and have poor wheel support lol
at least that's how the other console focused racing games have been on PC.