It's Official... EVGA, and XFX Leave the Green Team. !! Intel Larrabee in the Near Future !!

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
It has now been officially acknowledged by a few other web sites, that the Inq Article that was published last week was in fact not just Demerjian bashing NV, there was in fact some truth to this rumor.

1,) EVGA, and XFX are no longer Exclusive NVIDIA Partners.
http://news.softpedia.com/news...VIDIA-Ship-90474.shtml

2,) They will be Marketing ATI, and/or Intel Larrabee Cards as well as NVIDIA in the near future.
http://news.softpedia.com/news...the-Market-88660.shtml

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2...al_larrabee_partners/1

3,) Channel partners have been rumored to be demanding a re-call of G84 and G86 parts
http://www.maximumpc.com/artic...faulty_nvidia_products

4,) NVIDIA will not be granted a license for Native Bloomfield Support, and will be limited to the ?SLI MCP? bridge chip.
http://www.maximumpc.com/artic..._but_no_native_chipset

5,) NVIDIA Greed has been what has driven the defection.
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7897.html

Intel is ratcheting up the pain/pressure upon NVIDIA both Nehalem, and Larrabee are ahead of schedule, and the Upper Management IE: Pat Gelsinger, and Paul Otellini. Are pushing forward bringing them to market early.

Intel is the only Company, with deep enough pockets to pull off such a Move.

Nothing official here, though this thread is now officially done.

n7
Video Mod

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
Wow, this should make things really interesting. I wonder how the financial markets are going to react to this news?

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I <3 EVGA! Glad to see they'll be offering more products to choose from than just Nvidia chips.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
ATIs biggest weakness these days has been their lack of good board partners, which visiontek and now evga and XFX should remedy. Their coolers also stink, but that seems to be par for the course now.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
All I can say to nVidia is :thumbsdown:

And a big fat :laugh:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
You may want to edit your thread regarding XFX and eVGA, Fox. The article is just a rehash of The Inq's stuff, nothing has been confirmed with respect to their "leaving" NVIDIA. Softpedia (Softpedia!? A hardware news site?) is just rumor mongering.
In doing so, Gainward has set the stage for yet another rumor concerning NVIDIA.
Somehow, this could go further than pure speculation
But, if the rumors do turn out to be true sometime in the coming months

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: ViRGE
You may want to edit your thread regarding XFX and eVGA, Fox. The article is just a rehash of The Inq's stuff, nothing has been confirmed with respect to their "leaving" NVIDIA. Softpedia (Softpedia!? A hardware news site?) is just rumor mongering.
In doing so, Gainward has set the stage for yet another rumor concerning NVIDIA.

Thanks but no.. EVGA forced Demerjian to edit his article, I believe that it is more than substantiated by that fact, and the other supporting articles.

I have not linked his article, so as to avoid the double post SNAFU, and to not further the Inq.

Also while many other sites have quoted the Inq.article... that site gave no credit to Inq.

If you want to say "Bullshit" I'll dig deeper, and support.. but until that happens I'm sticking with what was posted.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mr Fox
Thanks but no.. EVGA forced Demerjian to edit his article, I believe that it is more than substantiated by that fact, and the other supporting articles.

I have not linked his article, so as to avoid the double post SNAFU, and to not further the Inq.

Also while many other sites have quoted the Inq.article... that site gave no credit to Inq.

If you want to say "Bullshit" I'll dig deeper, and support.. but until that happens I'm sticking with what was posted.
Well then I would suggest you dig deeper. Everything Softpedia had to say was rumors, with no citation of what the source of those rumors was. It's much of the same crap that we bust The Inq's chops for; stuff they've pulled out of thin air that they can't source. The article looks to be entirely a secondary-source article; the author read other sites throwing around rumors and compiled them in to a new article.

The difference between a rumor and something that's (more-or-less) confirmed is sources to do the confirming, the fact is that Softpedia has none, so it looks like they're just throwing around the same stuff from The Inq that we already know.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
This post reeks of bad to very poor journalism. Are you trying to score points or something? Saying things like "NVIDIA Greed has been what has driven the defection." and EVGA, and XFX are no longer Exclusive NVIDIA Partners. stating as if it is a fact, when, like Virge has said, no real source has been qouted? Did you even write this post yourself? I very much doubt it ...

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Same old rumor baloney. Misleading subject line. Don't waste our time.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: s44
Same old rumor baloney. Misleading subject line. Don't waste our time.

QFT

As soon as I read the first article....
Gainward has set the stage for yet another rumor concerning NVIDIA. Apparently, two of the company's best board partners, EVGA and XFX, have decided to leave the green company.

At least the could have given the Inq credit as they were the ones who started the rumor.

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006

Well then I would suggest you dig deeper. Everything Softpedia had to say was rumors, with no citation of what the source of those rumors was. It's much of the same crap that we bust The Inq's chops for; stuff they've pulled out of thin air that they can't source. The article looks to be entirely a secondary-source article; the author read other sites throwing around rumors and compiled them in to a new article.

The difference between a rumor and something that's (more-or-less) confirmed is sources to do the confirming, the fact is that Softpedia has none, so it looks like they're just throwing around the same stuff from The Inq that we already know.

I would suggest that you re-visit said Inq. article, and read the edit, that EVGA Requested, and got.

I only looked for articles that would support or refute what Demerjian stated.

There has been nothing posted anywhere to Refute the veracity of what was stated by Demerjian.

Now you would believe that if Two Companies with the Reputation, and Media Connections
Of XFX, and EVGA would have taken steps to quash this if indeed this was false ?

It is no secret that the Partners are not happy, and that is also supported by my posts.

Now on the other hand do you have anything to refute the veracity of what Demerjian stated ?

If not, then I need to question why this discussion continues, until you act something other than gut feelings.

Virge, I'm open minded.. and have supported my views, If you have something that will open my eyes, please share it !!

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I don't see EVGA and XFX leaving Nvidia, I guess I can understand them wanting to explore their options with ATI/AMD or Intel. As any business would want to explore all options. I don't think any of us know what is in the contracts between Nvidia and EVGA and XFX... and I'm sure the journalists don't either. When we stop seeing Nvidia GPU's in Dells and HP's and the like, that is when we know they are in big trouble.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Bah, this is no confirmaton. It might become true in the future, but right now there isn't enough evidence to state such a claim. I score this thread 3/10.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999

I would suggest that you re-visit said Inq. article, and read the edit, that EVGA Requested, and got.

I only looked for articles that would support or refute what Demerjian stated.

There has been nothing posted anywhere to Refute the veracity of what was stated by Demerjian.

Now you would believe that if Two Companies with the Reputation, and Media Connections
Of XFX, and EVGA would have taken steps to quash this if indeed this was false ?

It is no secret that the Partners are not happy, and that is also supported by my posts.

Now on the other hand do you have anything to refute the veracity of what Demerjian stated ?

If not, then I need to question why this discussion continues, until you act something other than gut feelings.

Virge, I'm open minded.. and have supported my views, If you have something that will open my eyes, please share it !!
It's a bit like refuting the notion that someone beats their wife, the nature of the argument means there's an implicit summary that you are, and you can't prove it beyond the absence of any injuries. There may be some truth to the rumors, I'm not denying that, but there's no proof here. The only fact I've seen so far is eVGA asking The Inq to correct the article, which doesn't prove much beyond the fact that they don't like people running around saying that they're going to leave NVIDIA entirely.:p

Great clams require great proof, so far there is none. Never mind the fact that Thq Inq is the king of all tabloid tech journalism and isn't reliable in the first place. When someone has some real proof of the matter to justify your headline you should post it then, but right now there's nothing but an echo-chamber of rumors started at The Inq.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Your first article even says "yet another rumor", with no source :roll:

I call shens.

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
This post reeks of bad to very poor journalism. Are you trying to score points or something? Saying things like "NVIDIA Greed has been what has driven the defection." and EVGA, and XFX are no longer Exclusive NVIDIA Partners. stating as if it is a fact, when, like Virge has said, no real source has been qouted? Did you even write this post yourself? I very much doubt it ...

Do you have anything other than your personal opinion to refute what was Said ?

You Apparently did not Read This Part:

Excerpted from Nordic Hardware

The fact is that many NVIDIA partners have been left out after G200, simply because of a lack of chips. And the partners that do get cards are not happy with the margins. NVIDIA is trying hard to get the 55nm "G200b" out as soon as possible, but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. G200 at 55nm should be about 470mm2, which should make room for about 120 dies on a 300mm wafer. Hopefully this will push yields closer to 50%, but NVIDIA is probably going to be satisfied with above 40%.

On top of that, NVIDIA's new Unilateral Minimum Advertised Price Policy (UMAP) has limited partners' playing field and minimizes competition between them. When NVIDIA at the same time decides to launch new cards based on existing cores, at lower prices, partners get upset over diminishing earnings. Add to that AMD's new RV770 chip is looking very tempting to some of these partners...

Now in my personal Opinion That shows total disregard for your partners. IE:Greed !

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for the links, its good to know softpedia is a site that isn't worth reading, not that I read it before anyways. ;) That's got to be some of the worst journalism I've ever seen. It looks like the transcript from a lunch conversation. This passage was particularly amusing:

Apparently, two of the company's best board partners, EVGA and XFX, have decided to leave the green company. This means that these two graphics card manufacturers will no longer release cards based on GeForce GPUs. The rumor might also be based on the fact that both manufacturers offered reimbursement plans for the latest GT200-series cards, from which we could infer that working with NVIDIA is no longer profitable.

LMAO. Bolded the portions that are red flags this story is BS. It looks like some guy's personal blog after reading all the other garbage you've linked.

EVGA has also denied the rumor, with a site admin and Tech dismissing it as BS
unworthy of a press release

ORIGINAL: EVGATech_JacobF

ORIGINAL: jean66

No official statement from EVGA was made to deny the rumor... It will come soon and you'll be in shock !!

Also why doesn't EVGA also offer ATI video card ? I mean MB manufacutrer offer both chipset Intel and AMD, both video card nvidia and ATI... Why EVGA couldn't do the same ?

It is completely false, no need to make a press release about that

In any case, here's a good book to help filter what is news and what is toilet paper
How To Watch TV News I believe its still required reading for most J-schools, I know it was when I took 101.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Originally posted by: chizow
Thanks for the links, its good to know softpedia is a site that isn't worth reading
:laugh: :thumbsup:

Is OP a sock for one of the Inq guys?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
As others have already said, this is far from "Official". You really should edit the thread title.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Do you have anything other than your personal opinion to refute what was Said ?

You Apparently did not Read This Part:

Excerpted from Nordic Hardware

#1 The fact is that many NVIDIA partners have been left out after G200, simply because of a lack of chips. And the partners that do get cards are not happy with the margins. NVIDIA is trying hard to get the 55nm "G200b" out as soon as possible, but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. G200 at 55nm should be about 470mm2, which should make room for about 120 dies on a 300mm wafer. Hopefully this will push yields closer to 50%, but NVIDIA is probably going to be satisfied with above 40%.

#2 On top of that, NVIDIA's new Unilateral Minimum Advertised Price Policy (UMAP) has limited partners' playing field and minimizes competition between them. When NVIDIA at the same time decides to launch new cards based on existing cores, at lower prices, partners get upset over diminishing earnings. Add to that AMD's new RV770 chip is looking very tempting to some of these partners...

Now in my personal Opinion That shows total disregard for your partners. IE:Greed !

Well I'll bite and break this down for you if its going to be the crux of your argument.

#1 is just pure BS, GT200 was hard launched without any problems with availability. Lower demand being a $649 part obviously made availability a non-issue.

#2 If you read up on UMAP at all, you'd realize it was instituted to protect some of NV's partners and not NV's margins. They're charging their partners up front to begin with for each card, the problem was that "authorized" partners were getting squeezed by "unauthorized" partners undercutting them in their main markets. The "unauthorized" partners could afford to do this as they don't offer as much to the end-consumer in the form of warranty, support, incentive programs etc.

Guess who these board partners are? The very best, EVGA, XFX, BFG. Guess who were the three partners to offer a cash back rebate to early-adopters after the price drops? EVGA, XFX, BFG. Want to bet who's funding that rebate? Remember the reports of price protection and Nvidia guaranteeing a win if it came down to a price war? My money is on Nvidia eating their margins to keep their partners happy. Does that sound like greed? Didn't think so. If you want to read up on UMAP check it out at HardOCP

From the article:

According to our sources, sales volumes of NVIDIA partners ?authorized? to sell in North America have gone up since UMAP?s implementation.

So yeah you have the inconvenience of having to click an extra button, but if that keeps companies like XFX, EVGA and BFG around its worth it imo. While its a nice option to get a cheaper card from the likes of MSI, Asus, Palit, Zotac etc. I'd hate to see NV's partner landscape deteriorate into the likes of ATI's.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: JPB
All I can say to nVidia is :thumbsdown:

And a big fat :laugh:

You're not alone, greedy bastards deserve to go down a few notches. We can bring this thread up in year or two (or sooner) and will see what happens...

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wow...sensationalist headline for another rumour article.....sheesh.

Edit: Id change the the thread title, it makes you look pretty bad.