It's official, Coastalcontacts.com is better than Zenni!

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It's not a spam thread, just a happy customer.

Just last year, I was paying premium for retail glasses- $100-300 even after insurance. Then I discovered Zennioptical.com. Awesome, glasses online made cheap and shipped directly from China. And it's still stylish and well built.

With my heavier prescription, each pair came to about $40-50 (including Anti glare, extra thin lenses, and $15 heavy prescription surcharge, etc).

THEN I found Coastalcontacts.com through Slickdeals. Hotdeal link here.

They had semi-brand names and even more stylish frames. I JUST got my glasses now which was ordered on Monday. That's about 2 weeks after than Zenni.

The package came with much fancier glasses case & free glasses fix kit. Granted I used the coupon code, but I got a new pair for $27~.

Just wanted to share!

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
my wife wears glasses

i max the FSA every year and if there is money left she will get $700 brand name glasses. those never break

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I honestly will probably keep using zenni as I use my glasses in a fencing mask 3-4 times a week and they can get pretty beat up so I just buy the $10 frames and my prescription with coatings comes to about $20 total without coupons.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
my wife wears glasses

i max the FSA every year and if there is money left she will get $700 brand name glasses. those never break

Does the $700 pair last 28x times more than the $25 pair which is made of good materials to begin with?

Does it repair lens scratches 28 times over 28 years?

$700 is not worth it. $500 of that goes to brand name, not quality.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
i priced out a pair of frames made of titanium and they were $249. useless if they break every year

$700 for my wife includes an exam, top of the line frames, the best lenses with all the upgrades, etc

i only asked because my mom used to go to pearl or lens crafters, spend like $300 after everything and the glasses would break all the time

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
i priced out a pair of frames made of titanium and they were $249. useless if they break every year

$700 for my wife includes an exam, top of the line frames, the best lenses with all the upgrades, etc

i only asked because my mom used to go to pearl or lens crafters, spend like $300 after everything and the glasses would break all the time

You keep telling yourself that, unless your wife is really anal (kinky ;)) about her glasses then it shouldn't really matter as you can buy multiple pairs for that 700 bucks. I usually buy two pair, if one pair breaks order another so you always have one backup at least.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Do they give free iPods with every pair?

Yes, these

Fake-iPod.jpg

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
i'm hesitant to buy online cause you can't try them on first.

I've been wearing my current pair of memory titanium frames for at least a year. They're in perfect shape. Cost me less than $20 for the pair online. You are NOT getting $700 worth of quality. The most you're paying for quality is about $50. The rest is mark-up.

That reminds me - anyone know of a decent source for a prescription swim mask? I have prescription swim goggles, but want a prescription mask for doing some scuba diving this summer.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I've been wearing my current pair of memory titanium frames for at least a year. They're in perfect shape. Cost me less than $20 for the pair online. You are NOT getting $700 worth of quality. The most you're paying for quality is about $50. The rest is mark-up.

That reminds me - anyone know of a decent source for a prescription swim mask? I have prescription swim goggles, but want a prescription mask for doing some scuba diving this summer.

There are two things I'll never cheap out on. Glasses and suits. I'll supplement them with cheap stuff, but never replace. I have 600 dollar Prada frames that are going on 7 years now. I get new lenses every two or three years. They aren't even titanium. Yet they are the toughest pair of glasses I've own.
I fall asleep with my glasses on and end up sprawled out on top of them.
I only replace the nose pads because they cloud up after frequent cleaning.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I've ordered about 4 pairs from them online for very cheap and they have been awesome.

However the jury is still out on the value of their customer service should you have any issues.

Resellerratings: 9.1 6-month rating

BUT....

It used to be roughly a 2-3 iirc about 8 months ago, even after they began their 'free glasses promotions'. The ratings have been carpetbombed since with glowing reviews from one-review members.

Reviews from 10/2011

So my advice would be to stick to their deals/coupons and not invest too much in a pair because if they make a mistake, you may find them a huge PIA to deal with.

All factors included, they are NOT better than Zenni at this point.

Last edited:

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Seems kind of expensive. I bought some cheap $40 ray ban looking glasses like 5 years ago and they are still going strong. The equivalent looking ones start at $98.