Its not my fualt your black kid is fat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I'd agree that the "racist" charge is a bit much and I'm not feeling the angst either, however look at this:

I'm decades beyond the Trail of Tears too. If I were concerned about native american health issues I'd look pretty stupid bring that up, and yes I'm half Cherokee although I look as lily white as anyone and I have some pounds to loose. Shall I bring up my cultural history and that of others in that context?

There is access to good food and I applaud the efforts of anyone who encourages good choices, however once you bring in slavery you automatically bring in the cloud of past injustice. It's pandering at best and offering an excuse of "the Man keeps me down" by making the association.

People need to get beyond this and address today. Moreover, they need to stop using other people or their past for their poor decisions today. That would apply to white people, asians or the Cherokee if it was done.

Hey, didn't know you were part Asian :awe:

Actually, now that I think about it, Fat black people are in fact very racist. It is a conspiracy by white people to make black people less threatening. Fat people are always less scary than regular sized people. The size increase slows speed and chances of getting shivved in the back of the woods.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I didn't get the racist charge from reading Michelle Obama's quotes. If I recall both her and her husband have actually been telling the black community to get their shit together and that's what I gathered from her quotes in that article. However I think it should include all of Americans no matter what race they are. It seems like they have no shame. If I see another teenage girl wearing low rise pants with her gut hanging out with a navel piercing I think I'll scream

Really? You've seen Obama and his wife telling the black community to get their shit together? REALLY? All I see them doing is playing the race and class card on every issue. Maybe it was over at Rev. Wright's church he was saying it? :rolleyes:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Those who are poor have medicaid and they can choose to buy good food. When you see two shopping carts loaded up with junkfood and nothing else it's a pretty good clue that money isn't the issue. Besides if that was true then no one could get anything else, and many do.

This is a matter of choice.

A trip to the grocery store which would take either of us about 15 minutes, and we take it for granted. For many poor families, it could easily take an entire day. As a fun experiment, see how long it takes you to get from Strong Memorial to the nearest Wegman's using a bus or walking. A lot of the times it isn't actually a choice to eat unhealthy food, it's about access.

That said, all American families do need more information about proper nutrition.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
This brings up another good point. Why are black people the most chiseled and buff, yet also the fattest. Do they naturally like to put on pounds? Come to think about it, its the black females who are busty while the males are muscular.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
This brings up another good point. Why are black people the most chiseled and buff, yet also the fattest. Do they naturally like to put on pounds? Come to think about it, its the black females who are busty while the males are muscular.

More time in prison with nothing else to do. :awe:

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
A trip to the grocery store which would take either of us about 15 minutes, and we take it for granted. For many poor families, it could easily take an entire day. As a fun experiment, see how long it takes you to get from Strong Memorial to the nearest Wegman's using a bus or walking. A lot of the times it isn't actually a choice to eat unhealthy food, it's about access.

That said, all American families do need more information about proper nutrition.

Give me a break. You can eat unhealthy and not be fat. Its simply a matter of self control. Stop making excuses.

Oct 16, 1999
Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that poor kids typically rely on school meals twice a day. That shit food isn't doing anyone any favors to their health.

And I think I smell some racism coming off that article, but it's not from Ms. Obama's quotes.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that poor kids typically rely on school meals twice a day. That shit food isn't doing anyone any favors to their health.

And I think I smell some racism coming off that article, but it's not from Ms. Obama's quotes.

The school lunch meals are supposed to meet FDA nutritional standards

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

twice a day? wow.

my kids get lunch. on the k-2 get a snack but its milk and something good. can't be junk food

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I don't think the fact its more expensive (its really not) is what the issue really is. I think the fact its easyer to get kids to eat junk food then fruits and veggies.

Easy to prepare too. The cheapness thing is debatable, certainly the calorie per dollar has to go too junk food...but a bag of chips doesn't exactly require a large amount of effort to prepare versus preparing a basic salad.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The school lunch meals are supposed to meet FDA nutritional standards

I can't remember, its been awhile since I was in school. Are the FDA nutritional standards the same ones that involve the food pyramid that suggests eating 50 servings of corn, and one corn anal suppository per day...or whatever it is that farmers were growing a lot of at the time? Ketchup and french fries count as individual veggie servings right? :p

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

There's a few things going on in this thread so I'll pick access first. I am sure that there are some people who have a transportation issue. That said the majority of people who frequent my establishment come by car. They have one, or know others who do and in the latter case carpool. Only a few percent come by bus. The other advantage with medicaid is free day care. If the person is unemployed then time simply isn't a factor. The real problem would be for the working poor who have little assistance and little time. I'm entirely sympathetic in that case. Notwithstanding, I suggest a little experiment. Look in your shopping cart and look at those who pay for food with public assistance and you'll note that it's more likely that a higher proportion of what's purchased is processed crap. Considering that the person has found some means to get to the store the transportation problem has already been overcome. That leaves what's selected. The caveat (not so much for you, but for the unthinking ;) ) is that not everyone who is on welfare is the same as any other. There are exceptions and that's grand when it happens.

The reasons for poor nutrition are open to debate, however that brings us to the second and original point and that is the tie in between racially charged associations of slavery and poor nutrition.

The problem lies in what's accepted in the home, the level of education and the willingness to change dietary habits.

It's my opinion that bringing up specious matters weakens the needed message. If one is going to reference Jim Crow, then it ought to be along the lines of

"Don't let anyone bring up slavery or Jim Crow. You are responsible for yourself and your family. If you don't act you are harming them and that is solely your choice. Own up and take care of those you are responsible for now."

That leads me to mention a broader problem I see with politics and blacks. Many blacks live in awful conditions and yes there are historical reasons, but not all of them go back to slavery. Much has to do with a culture which expects handouts for themselves and for their future generations and that was because of the philosophy of the Great Society. It's well that blacks were helped, however the apparent logic is that if you give a man a fish at some point he'll go fishing. That's not human nature. He or she is most likely to come back for more fish and indeed feel "entitled" to it. Until learning to fish is not optional that does not change.
Someone I know has a relative who got pregnant (and she's perfectly healthy and on medicaid). The pregnancy failed (one she hadn't planned for) and she feels bad about it. What's she going to do? Get pregnant again for "closure". In fact her mother is encouraging her to do so because that also means an excuse to never work and increases her check.

If you live or work in the inner city you'll find that is not only common, but often actively encouraged. If someone will pay you not to take responsibility, and pay you more to bring in more lives you cannot possibly take care of on your own why not do it? After all you are kept down and the government really wants to help and will cut that check forever.

That's our medicaid system and that more than past wrongs is destroying the inner cities. You don't need to go to school. You don't need a job. You just need to sign up.

It's like heroin, and there isn't the political will to actually help people addicted to get off.

The black community and the government need to understand that no responsibility coupled with financial reward is slavery, just to DC.

As we've discussed before I realize that for a modern society to work there are times when individuals need help, and there are those who can never do so. That is not an issue for me. It's the culture of dependency that I find to be the root of many evils.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Easy to prepare too. The cheapness thing is debatable, certainly the calorie per dollar has to go too junk food...but a bag of chips doesn't exactly require a large amount of effort to prepare versus preparing a basic salad.

oh yeah and that.

my kids will pick fruit or even some veggies over junk food 90% of the time. But we rarely have junk food in the house and always have fruit veggies. in teh summer there is nearly always a cut up watermelon in the fridge and red grapes. we keep small bowels on a low cabinet so they can get what hey want when they want.

one of the kids favorite snacks is broccoli (they call them little trees). though my daughter only eats the top and not the stem.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
oh yeah and that.
my kids will pick fruit or even some veggies over junk food 90% of the time. But we rarely have junk food in the house and always have fruit veggies. in teh summer there is nearly always a cut up watermelon in the fridge and red grapes. we keep small bowels on a low cabinet so they can get what hey want when they want.
one of the kids favorite snacks is broccoli (they call them little trees). though my daughter only eats the top and not the stem.
You should try to keep the bowels away from the fruit; coliform cross-contamination is a bitch.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
...It's my opinion that bringing up specious matters weakens the needed message. If one is going to reference Jim Crow, then it ought to be along the lines of "Don't let anyone bring up slavery or Jim Crow. You are responsible for yourself and your family. If you don't act you are harming them and that is solely your choice. Own up and take care of those you are responsible for now."...
That's one possible interpretation of her words.
We are living today in a time where we’re decades beyond slavery, we are decades beyond Jim Crow, when one of the greatest risks to our children’s future is their own health…
could mean
stop harping on slavery and Jim Crow which are decades in the past, and concentrate on the health issues that are the current threat to our children's future
Of course, if you're looking for any excuse to criticize the president and first lady, interpreting this as "playing the Race Card" is the obvious tack to take.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

Why the hell should companies like Safeway/and/or local businesspeople open grocery stores in the ghetto where it's dangerous to do business? You can't blame "the man" for that.

With that said, I heard on NPR that some people are doing community gardens and grocery delivery in bad neighborhoods though, where grocery stores don't exist.

I don't have a good solution for bad neighborhoods in the US. It really is a vicious cycle. Chick gets knocked up, deadbeat father goes to knock up a whole bunch of other chicks and then go to jail, chicks become single moms, single moms' kids grow up to be deadbeat fathers/single mothers because they go to sh!tty schools, and repeat. (Gross simplification btw)

Most of this can be attributed to the failed social welfare policies from the Democrats between the 50s-70s and continues today.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I didn't get the racist charge from reading Michelle Obama's quotes. If I recall both her and her husband have actually been telling the black community to get their shit together and that's what I gathered from her quotes in that article. However I think it should include all of Americans no matter what race they are. It seems like they have no shame. If I see another teenage girl wearing low rise pants with her gut hanging out with a navel piercing I think I'll scream

I did not get that either. Now the linked site on the other hand............

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That's one possible interpretation of her words.could mean
Of course, if you're looking for any excuse to criticize the president and first lady, interpreting this as "playing the Race Card" is the obvious tack to take.

That's entirely possible, however my concern isn't so much about the mention by her of it, but the mindset that it's somehow relevant to malnutrition. See the rest of my post for context.

It isn't that's she's doing it so much as it's being done at all by public leaders.

If I were of the mindset to use "any excuse" I can certainly do better. There are several items regarding Obama's policies I'm critical of, however as I told Red I'm not all "angsty" about "Democrat racist policies" unless you insist, then I'll fake it just for you :p

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Why the hell should companies like Safeway/and/or local businesspeople open grocery stores in the ghetto where it's dangerous to do business? You can't blame "the man" for that.

I'm not sure who is blaming "the man", but I know he's isn't. It's just the reality of the situation. The question is how much of a factor is it in fact in obesity in blacks. That's really really hard to determine.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Yeah, that was BEFORE poor people started getting government subsidized food stamps to get them mounds of unhealthy foods at the expense of the taxpayer.

I think agricultural subsidies have more to do with this as it allowed processed foods that are high-calorie but nutritionally bereft to become cheaper than things like fruits and vegetables (even when in season). People wanting to make their dollar go further, i.e. the poor, will go for the cheaper option whether they get food stamps/welfare or not. The best personal finance option is the one that makes you get fat...