It's Not About the OIL? Exec Order 13303

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I think the primary purpose of that order was to keep people from suing and tying up Iraqi redevelopment funds etc. The other interpretation seems to be a stretch. ...but I am not a lawyer.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
I think the primary purpose of that order was to keep people from suing and tying up Iraqi redevelopment funds etc. The other interpretation seems to be a stretch. ...but I am not a lawyer.

Whatever people consider the primary purpose of 13303 it in fact makes it impossible to sue oil companies for anything they do in Iraq.

I really doubt those nice oil people will abuse such power. Uh huh.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
okay I read the first paragraph:

During the initial assault on Baghdad, soldiers set up forward bases named Camp Shell and Camp Exxon. Those soldiers knew the score, even if the Pentagon's talking points dismissed any ties between Iraqi oil and their blood.

That was enough. I know in Afghanistan they used the same names for camps. One I remember was camp texaco which was used during operation anaconda. In this case the Camp texaco was a based used by the apache helicopter as a forward refuel base. Is the author sure that camp shell and camp exxon were not named that for the same purpose?

edit: coincidentally it was the 101st airborne involved in both incidents. Camp Shell and Camp Exxon were also FARP (forward area refuleing points). I guess the 101st realized that Afghanistan was about the oil also since the event i mentioned occured in March 2002.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Wow, I'm sort of surprised that there weren't "Camp Diet Coke" and "Camp FoxNews" out there as well. I mean, with the lack of global financial and military support for the Iraqi Operation, you would think we could use some corporate blood money to pump up the war chest...