Its my birthday, can I drink?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So I'd like to have 1-2 drinks to celebrate my birthday tonight, but I don't think its possible. For the past 3 days I've been taking 1000mg of acetaminophen every 4-6 hours (my liver hates me!), 2 teaspoons of Cheratussin AC every 6 hours (hooray for codeine!), and 450mg of Duratuss twice a day (pseudoephedrine lives on!) None of the drug reference websites I visited list specifics for alcohol, but any moron knows that pseudoephedrine/phenylephrine, codeine and alcohol don't mix!

That said, I am stopping use of acetaminophen this afternoon (last dose was in the morning) and will discontinue all but the Duratuss by tomorrow morning (I'll only continue with Duratuss while my chest is congested.) Will I then be able to drink at my party on Saturday? How long will these things stay in my system?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Why acetaminophen over ibuprofen?
My doc told me to? Acetaminophen is a better fever reducer? 100F isn't good for the brain, yo.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: UNCjigga
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Why acetaminophen over ibuprofen?
My doc told me to? Acetaminophen is a better fever reducer? 100F isn't good for the brain, yo.

pfft. While 100F isn't healthy over the long run, it really doesn't start being a major issue for the brain until it gets over 103 according to my docs.

BTW, no alcohol with acetominophen...it's NOT recommended...but, it's your liver...go ahead if you choose.

http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/TOXINS/acetalc.htm

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
i'll just call you a rapper. those rappers love prescription cough syrup with alcohol.. they call it sizzurp... doesn't everyone wanna be a rapper?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Oh yeah...you have the same birthday as me.

Anyway, I wouldn't drink dude. Not worth risking it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well it's too late, but if you skipped the codeine for 6 hours or more you would have been OK.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
You don't need to take anything for a fever that's only 100f. That's barely elevated. It's much more dangerous to take that much acetaminophen that often for that long, then it is to run a slightly elevated fever.

Don't mix acetaminophen with alcohol. Don't mix codeine with alcohol. Don't know about the pseudoephedrine. If you've been sick, you probably shouldn't drink anyway, since you're probably a bit dehydrated to begin with.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Pain killers and a FEW drinks is not too bad. (personal opinion)

Acetaminophen and anything that puts strain on your liver + drinks not so good.

Cirrhosis of the liver = bad times.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
i wouldn't suggest it. your liver already probably has some scars. if you do decide to, take it as slowly as possible. do not drink it all at once. take it as slowly as possible so that the liver can process the alcohol. otherwise, you risk damaging your liver further.