It's MacGyver!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Lol,the scene where the super-hacker chick comes up with the solution to their decryption problem is genius...
Almost fell off my bed.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Hoakey and campy just like the original. For some reason all the good hackers on CBS shows are the same, quirky women who slam keyboard keys fast and say random computer words.

OMG, the explosive used to disperse the virus would have annihiliated the virus or at least most of it. Dont these bad guys know anything.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've seen about the first 20 minutes so far, and it seems far too much of a "dude-bro MacGyver" to me. ...or that they're trying to mix MacGyver with that shit-show Scorpion to create something more relatable. Maybe I'm just too used to the 90s style heroes where they'd usually solve localized problems in some small town or something rather than save the world from some uber biological pathogen. :expressionless:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Now, why exactly did the boats explode, and how did she escape if they had a trailing vehicle as well?
Don't really care for the guy who plays the new Macgyver, he doesn't fit the role.

I actually laughed at the boats randomly exploding.

The lead character at least has the hair down. I think it was pretty good, and mostly captured the mood of the original. I don't think every week will be an "OMG we have to save the world" scenario, but I could see where they wanted to do something like that to grab everyone's attention.

Reactions: Ken g6

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Wasn't hugely impressed with the first episode, but will keep recording it to see if it grows on me.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've seen about the first 20 minutes so far, and it seems far too much of a "dude-bro MacGyver" to me

The lead character comes off as a stuck-up college bro for sure. It was an immediate turn-off. Beyond that, everything was super predictable. And also...dated. Fingerprints? Hand scanners with plaster dust? Really? The TV show "Chuck" did a far better job of putting a new spin on old James-Bond style tropes, which is hard to do because there's already been a MacGuyver, and a Charlie's Angels, and so on & so forth. You could literally see the boat explosion part coming as soon as they all hopped on them.

Also, super cringe on the computer stuff, like when the prison hacker girl literally smashed the laptop with a hammer, yanked the hard drive out, and pulled off the shell to reveal the inner platter TO THE OPEN AIR. OH MY GOSH. THIS IS 2016 NOT 1985. GET WITH THE PROGRAM! We have Mr. Robot for crying out loud! It's okay to do your research on how technology actually works and STILL make it cool in a movie! A modern MacGyver should be a complex show appealing to a sophisticated audience.

TL;DR: Didn't like the main character & the plot was uber predictable, plus they dropped on the tech ball. Giving it a solid meh.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've been watching, HOPING it would get better. After episode 4, I gotta say it...Gawd this show is terrible. Like I said in the "TV Death" thread, it makes Scorpion look like quality TV.