It's impossible for Trump to get the 270 electoral votes to win.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I'm staying home and id vote for Hillary over Trump if someone held a gun to my head. But i live in KS so that vote wouldnt count. I keep telling you fools the EC is a joke, but whatever. Bring on 100% true popular vote so every vote counts.
If almost anyone but Trump were Clinton's primary opponent, I might conceivably sit it out. I was never a fan of "the Clintons" - they're both way too unabashedly middle-of-the-road Liberal-with-a-capital-L for my political taste (though given my druthers, I'd have preferred Hillary to Bill the first time around.) But the idea of The Donald even coming close to being elected would be the stuff darkly-humorous, dystopic jokes are made of, if things hadn't gotten as far as they have already... But that they have, so there is in fact no chance I"ll actually sit it out, even though there's also no chance NY would go for him anyway.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There's some risk you're living in a bubble of like-minded folks, as many of us on all sides tend to be. Yes, as I said, the committed and the faithful will turn out. But also, as I said, on the (relatively large) margins there are innumerable folks of all stripes who will simply not be impelled to get up off their asses and vote.

Not only doesn't the "average person" post in P&N, the average person is unfathomably (to you and me) uniformed/misinformed/worrying more about their next meal.
And it's safe to say 60% or more of the nation think both are so bad they refuse to vote for either.

Nov 29, 2006
There's some risk you're living in a bubble of like-minded folks, as many of us on all sides tend to be. Yes, as I said, the committed and the faithful will turn out. But also, as I said, on the (relatively large) margins there are innumerable folks of all stripes who will simply not be impelled to get up off their asses and vote.

Not only doesn't the "average person" post in P&N, the average person is unfathomably (to you and me) uniformed/misinformed/worrying more about their next meal.

You mean like this? :)
http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/19/m...ir-fans-to-vote-so-liberals-will-get-elected/

Nov 29, 2006
If almost anyone but Trump were Clinton's primary opponent, I might conceivably sit it out. I was never a fan of "the Clintons" - they're both way too unabashedly middle-of-the-road Liberal-with-a-capital-L for my political taste (though given my druthers, I'd have preferred Hillary to Bill the first time around.) But the idea of The Donald even coming close to being elected would be the stuff darkly-humorous, dystopic jokes are made of, if things hadn't gotten as far as they have already... But that they have, so there is in fact no chance I"ll actually sit it out, even though there's also no chance NY would go for him anyway.

I think after this election im going to start a project to see the total number of votes that didnt count just because of where you live and the EC. Only 12 battle ground states matter and get pandered to for the most part. The other 38 can eat a dick as far as pres. elections are concerned.

Just for fun and i like to prove my points :)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
all votes matter because you are voting on a range of issues. Also making sure there is a overwhelming number of people rejecting this retardation is our civic duty.

Nov 29, 2006
all votes matter because you are voting on a range of issues. Also making sure there is a overwhelming number of people rejecting this retardation is our civic duty.

What range of issues are you talking about specifically? You talking about states issues voting? Again we keep getting back on that when everyone is talking about the presidential election. I try to keep on topic and not detour into the state and local things up for voting. Which sadly isnt why most people go vote.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
What range of issues are you talking about specifically? You talking about states issues voting? Again we keep getting back on that when everyone is talking about the presidential election. I try to keep on topic and not detour into the state and local things up for voting. Which sadly isnt why most people go vote.

The reason the talk moves to local issues is because the national election for president is one of the times a host of local issues are put on the ballot damned near everywhere. Much cheaper to have everyone vote on lots of things besides the president at once vs. one election for president and then later for state/county/city issues. They're kinda tied together.

And your assertion that only 12 battleground states matter is patently stupid. What you're implying is that the other 38 states need not have one single ballot cast because they don't count. Really?

Nov 29, 2006
The reason the talk moves to local issues is because the national election for president is one of the times a host of local issues are put on the ballot damned near everywhere. Much cheaper to have everyone vote on lots of things besides the president at once vs. one election for president and then later for state/county/city issues. They're kinda tied together.

And your assertion that only 12 battleground states matter is patently stupid. What you're implying is that the other 38 states need not have one single ballot cast because they don't count. Really?

They need to separate the pres election from state voting IMO. And it should be a national paid holiday so no excuses not to vote. The presidential election is really the only reason people go to the polls on that day to be honest. They just vote on the other crap they have no idea about because they happen to already be there. This is all after the EC goes away of course :) I would think the pres. election should be important enough to warrant its own day.

Ill use CA as an example from 2008. They had 13.2 million voters. 8.2 million Dem, 5 million GOP. And they have 55 EC points as a state. GOP made up 37% of the votes yet they were all unrepresented. If it was at the very least proportional EC the GOP would have gotten 21 EC points and the Dems 34. That would be a much more actual representation of the state. And this applies to every state. But also proportional voting is stupid to and comes back to the EC going away as proportional voting would just be the same as populous voting at this point.

Basically in CA if you are a GOP voter there is no reason to bother voting since its not close enough to be a battle ground state. Or where i live its the opposite. But if it was populous vote every single damn vote would matter no matter where you happen to live.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Very high registration & turnout rates provide a much better gauge of the will of the people than otherwise. Not that Repubs want that, obviously.