Its illegal to steal trash in New York?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
WTF New York? Cops go after people who pick up trash from the side of the road?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/thieves_inflicting_paper_cut_on_bcV1e7boSnew8PS3vfClXP

City sanitation cops are following a paper trail to bust a new breed of thieves.

Sly scrap bandits have taken to swiping bags of paper and cardboard left on curbs for the city’s Sanitation Department, following a dramatic rise in the value of the recyclable material, officials said.

Someone puts a bag of paper out for garbage pickup, someone steals the bag,,, so what? Its trash, get over it.

Would new york rather the people steal copper, or trash?

Its not like the people are robbing a bank or something.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
It is recyclable trash - money into the city budget.

People are required to put the paper out per city ordnance.

Dec 10, 2005
WTF New York? Cops go after people who pick up trash from the side of the road?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/thieves_inflicting_paper_cut_on_bcV1e7boSnew8PS3vfClXP

Someone puts a bag of paper out for garbage pickup, someone steals the bag,,, so what? Its trash, get over it.

Would new york rather the people steal copper, or trash?

Its not like the people are robbing a bank or something.

So you think it's okay to steal from the city? The city makes money off the recyclables- scrap metal, paper, etc. It helps to offset some of the costs of city services.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So you think it's okay to steal from the city? The city makes money off the recyclables- scrap metal, paper, etc. It helps to offset some of the costs of city services.

Kinda like making the collection of rainwater illegal in states in drought conditions?

There are some things that should not be against the law.

If you throw something out, that means you do not want it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Kinda like making the collection of rainwater illegal in states in drought conditions?

There are some things that should not be against the law.

If you throw something out, that means you do not want it.

you aren't throwing it out. you are giving it to the city. the city takes it and makes money off it.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
you aren't throwing it out. you are giving it to the city. the city takes it and makes money off it.

Kinda like how gamestop makes money off used games?

By placing the trash on the sidewalk, you do not consider that abandonment?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You'd likely want to hire a trash removal company. How do you think businesses get their dumpsters emptied?

They hire.

Well somebody is obviously willing to do it for free as the article states. I am curious if I am "giving" away my trash why I cant give away to somebody other than the city? Like for instance, the people who are taking it right now?

chris9641

Dec 8, 2006
Well somebody is obviously willing to do it for free as the article states. I am curious if I am "giving" away my trash why I cant give away to somebody other than the city? Like for instance, the people who are taking it right now?

Who's stopping you from doing that?

Jan 25, 2011

what's stopping you from throwing an ad on Craig's list or something and offering anything you want to throw away?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
There is another issue here, a private individual but especially a government has a right to dig through your trash to find out if you have been naughty or nice. A governmental right already upheld by courts. As one forfeits any expectation of privacy when they put their trash on the curb.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Its probably illegal to "fight" identity theft (i.e. someone going over your trash, looking for SSN numbers, etc).

I'd say, let Darwin take care of it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'm having trouble finding anything more recent that 207/2008 that's credible, but I always thought that recycling programs cost more than they realized. If that's still the case, then the argument that it "takes money" away from the city doesn't hold water.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Stealing trash is a crime...just ask this guy:

MV5BNjU0NTk4MjM2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjY0NTQ3._V1._SX456_SY700_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117768/