It's HERE! Star Trek: Into Darkness teaser trailer!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Proprioceptive, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Train

Train Lifer

holy ***, what is wrong with everyone on this board? Chill the *** out, it's a Star Trek movie.

You guys sound like an all male sub crew that has been at sea way too long.

2. OutHouse

OutHouse Lifer

3. qliveur

qliveur Diamond Member

LOL

4. OutHouse

OutHouse Lifer

trailer looked a lot like a Star wars revenge of the sith. lava, dudes jumping around in capes...

5. SP33Demon

SP33Demon Lifer

6. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

YEP

Pretty much exactly how I feel about this.

The first movie was soooooo Transformers and over the top. Uhhhhhh I hate how everything is so much more of the same now a days

7. SP33Demon

SP33Demon Lifer

I'll admit I loved the first Star Trek movie but don't really consider it a true Trek film due to the pandering to ADHD audiences. I don't recall most of the other Trek films giving a dam about box office receipts.

8. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

I didn't dislike it, it was OK. But some scenes like the Katana fight scene, were just SOOOOO over the top. That dude was not supposed to be an expert sword fighter, and WTF would they be fighting with swords any way? Action for the excuse of over the top action.

I also didn't like the story very much at all. Too cliche and over the top

9. techs

techs Lifer

Not sure if serious....

10. dud

dud Diamond Member

That was my point.

Movies/TV today lack much depth and the masses are willing to accept a lack of quality in what they absorb. Glad to see that discerning viewers still exist.

If the next ST movie is anything like the last ... my guess is that RB or MB will come back and haunt the fools ...

11. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

I'm feeling the same way. It seems like people will just go out and watch every movie that is out and just love them all the same. They just keep regurgitating everything all in the same vein of action nonsense and people just lap it up.

I talk to my friends and I was like "Skyfall was terrible, didn't like that at all" and every single other person liked the movie. Its not just that movie, its every movie. It seems like everyone likes every movie they watch. Its like, OK I guess I'm the only one that doesn't love everything they watch

12. SP33Demon

SP33Demon Lifer

Star Trek 1-6 were story driven, 2009's version was mindless action driven. Which one gave more of a shit about selling tickets?

13. techs

techs Lifer

They were all about selling tickets. The only reason 1-6 they were so story driven is due to the budget limitations on special effects. Heck, TNG Nemesis was as special effect driven as Star Trek 2009. Due to what you could buy in terms of effects for the budget.

14. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

Nobody is talking about Nemesis, that movie sucked then and it sucks now. The first 6 movies were driven by the world of Star Trek and the wonderful things that can happen in that world. The new 'Star Trek' was the same action movie as every other movie that was released at the same time, except with Star Trek characters filling the roles.

Watch out, it turns out Sulu isn't just a nerd he is suddenly the worlds elite with a Katana blade :rolleyes:

15. TXHokie

TXHokie Platinum Member

People over analyze everything. I said the same thing about the Star Wars thread and I'll say the same here. There's a big spaceship! There's captain Kirk and Spock. It's a Star Trek movie. Shut up and take my money.

16. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it and I'll probably like it well enough - but that isn't going to stop me from bitching about how it could have been better if someone with a brain had directed it versus Michael Bay's understudy JJ DoucheNozzle.

17. SP33Demon

SP33Demon Lifer

I miss the days when special effects weren't as good so a story was almost a must. Nowadays it's optional, I mean the story in 2009's version was downright silly and totally shat on ST:TOS universe (i.e. original Kirk's and it somewhat implied the same prequel Universe - correct me if I'm wrong). The antagonist was weak, but the action was very good, special effects good, and acting decent enough to make an enjoyable mindless flick because hey, it was still Star Trek after all. A much different universe geared towards teens, but still Star Trek. I like to think of it as Marvel's 2099 alternate Universe:

Basically an alternate Universe. Kind of like how Doom 2099 is still Von Doom, but a different version. However, I'm hoping that Star Trek:Teenage Universe is cool and branches out like 2099 (even though it orig was supposed to be a prequel of the orig ST Universe), even considering that many Marvel purists aren't fond of the 2099 storylines just b/c they are "new". Star Trek, if really "rebooting", should be doing it in a truly alternate Universe like Marvel did so the older folks can appreciate both storylines as separate and you're not shitting on anyone's "childhood" and what not. Purists weren't too fond of 2009's version, if you know what I mean.

#117 SP33Demon, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  18. techie81

techie81 Senior member

Looks awesome, cant wait to see it!

19. Chrono

Chrono Diamond Member

Dammit what is wrong with action action, joke, visual effects, rinse lather repeated... I find those are the best movies... :D

20. JeffreyLebowski

Old Star Trek was dead. Sadly, most people now won't sit down and watch it if it's non stop action/Drama/comedy.
    Setting up scenese like the fight between the Reliant and Enterprise in ST:II just won't work for todays audience that needs to see lasers and missles all over the place.
    I had huge reservations about Star Trek the Reboot and was happy with the movie.
    I want to see places like Earth expanded on.
    I have a feeling they've redone Khan's story and instead of him being mad at Kirk, he's mad at Earth for being put on the Botany Bay. He comes jumping in like a super hero/villian in that scene with some huge thing in his hand and knocks someone over. He's either really strong like Khan, or has super powers and is Gary Mitchell from Where no Man Has Gone Before and has come back from the endge of the galaxy.

21. Childs

Childs Lifer

They shouldnt have reboot TOS, and just started with a new crew. No one would be complaining. If Kirk isnt Kirk, Spock is Spock, etc, why do a movie with those characters? Anyways, this trailer seemed too popcornish. Might as well be called Transformers 4.

22. JeffreyLebowski

Star Trek The Reboot is in a new "Universe" It's explained in the movie. Since Nero (horrible name for a Romulan), had gone back in time and destroyed the Ship Kirks dad was on, history for the TNG series we know was changed, thus in Star Trek mythos, a new Timeline was created which differs from the one the Future Spock knows. Anything and everything can be different.

I kinda want to see The TNG universe continue and deal with the ramifications of the Romulan homeworld being destroyed.
    Would the Klingons use it as a chance to go to war with the Romulans and gain territory? Heck, in the 2009 movie Spock says that a star in Romulous (The actual star?) went nova unexpectantly, You'd think with their tech they'd know this was going to happen, so you revist the idea from Generations and that a tri-lithium device was used.
    The TNG timeline is something like 2387 when the star blows up. Start a new series in 2390, introduce a new ship and crew since the TNG cast is to old, and follow them as you find out about the Klingons or Dominion remenants blowing up Romulous and the galactic consiquences.

23. techs

techs Lifer

There was really no place for Star Trek to go in its universe after the TNG films.
    A "next" next generation would have to have technology so far advanced as to be magical.
    Roddenberry chose the technological landscape with care to make it accessible to people in the the 1960's and TNG did the same with the people of the 1990's.
    Unfortunately todays audience has had way to much fantasy and pseudo science like Transformers to have a relatable future set 50-100 years after TNG. It would either have to be just TNG with slightly faster computers or use brain implanted computer technology. And that just takes it into a different realm entirely.

Using the time reboot was an excellent, imo, ploy to restart the franchise using accessible technology while allowing for enough differences to make the universe seem new.

24. kache

kache Senior member

I am only interested in seeing the Warp effect again.

25. Kadarin

Kadarin Lifer

Looks like Damon Lindelof is involved in writing the screenplay. This means we can expect EPIC (we're talking Prometheus-level here) plot holes, unresolved issues, nonsensical character decisions...