its gonna be a LONG night.... our bathroom is flooded at 3am..

Oct 9, 1999
literaly the bathroom is flooded.. not sure how, but i think it has to do with the toilet. Question is that if it continued to flow, why did it overflow. It should have continued to go into teh bowl. I closed it out now. But the floor has an inch of water. I have to figure out the best way to mop it up.

this is so not fun.. i replaced the flush handle over the weekend, i wonder what the last person who used it did to teh darn thing.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Get a bucket and start dumping into the tub until you have it low enough to mop up. Thats what I would do, did it just start overflowing or did you just wake up and find it?

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: TheGoodGuy
literaly the bathroom is flooded.. not sure how, but i think it has to do with the toilet. Question is that if it continued to flow, why did it overflow. It should have continued to go into teh bowl. I closed it out now. But the floor has an inch of water. I have to figure out the best way to mop it up.

this is so not fun.. i replaced the flush handle over the weekend, AND, you did not do it correctly, so it was leaking. i wonder what the last person who used it did to teh darn thing. I'm guessing here, a really big dump, with a huge amount of toilet paper!

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Let me tell you a tale...

A few years ago my parents were living in a house with one of those movable dish-washing units. It had a "counter top" on it that matched all the other counters and could be rolled around to anywhere in the kitchen. You'd then plug in the power at the nearest plug and extend a hose connection to the faucet. System worked just fine for 7 years.

Well, one night my parents started a dish load just before they went to sleep. This was not uncommon for them to do. Also, the little spray nozzle next to the faucet that was used to connect the dish washer had been replaced (the handle broke off the previous one). At some point in the night, the new spray nozzle blew off due to water pressure, I guess. Anyways, water shot straight up in what had to be a very mighty jet, as it punched a hole in the drywall ceiling about 1/2" in diameter. Water was steadily shooting up into the ceiling for an undetermined amount of time.

Evenutally, my Dad, who slept in the basement, heard what sounded like heavy rain. It sounded odd to him though, so he got up to see what was going on. Water had been shooting into the kitchen ceiling and traveling down through the walls of the house, and was now POURING into the basement at a fantastic rate. When all was said and done, the house needed:

- New kitchen ceiling and floors
- New drywall everywhere
- New basement drop-ceiling
- New basement carpet
- 2 weeks of very aggresive dehumidifying

Bonus: My parents were renting the house and were already set to move out before any of this happened. I'm sure the owner thinks they did it on purpose.

TADA!

Oct 9, 1999
well i discovered it when i woke up at 3am..

it seems my dad was teh last to use it, and the flapper valve didnt go down. If it didnt go down it should have continued to drain into teh bowl and not overflow.. something else must have caused it to overflow.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
How long before AT has a Long Night forum...

YALNT... Mother-in-law coming over.
YALNT... Asia Reunion Tour!