It's Caprese Time!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
FYI cherry tomatoes were developed specifically for their long shelf life, *not* for taste.

Fresh tomato's of ANY kind right off a living vine blow the daylights out of anything you'll find in a grocery store.

The ones my Dad grew when I was a kid were like crack they were so delicious and cherry tomatoes in particular were sweet almost like candy ... wish I had some now lol!

Reactions: Scarpozzi

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Fresh tomato's of ANY kind right off a living vine blow the daylights out of anything you'll find in a grocery store.

The ones my Dad grew when I was a kid were like crack they were so delicious and cherry tomatoes in particular were sweet almost like candy ... wish I had some now lol!

i did not consider that and i realize i was a bit stupid.

Right, let me rephrase my previous statements. Of the tomatoes available for sale in normal commerical outlets, cherry tomatoes are the ones i like the least.

Here in the UK pretty much all tomatoes are horrible, so we need to focus on those few which are slightly less horrible than the rest.
I guess if you could grow your own, in a good climate, then cherry toms would be far better. I'm still not a fan of that "crunch" but i imagine they would be better than what i was imagining previously.

Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
i did not consider that and i realize i was a bit stupid.

Right, let me rephrase my previous statements. Of the tomatoes available for sale in normal commerical outlets, cherry tomatoes are the ones i like the least.

Here in the UK pretty much all tomatoes are horrible, so we need to focus on those few which are slightly less horrible than the rest.
I guess if you could grow your own, in a good climate, then cherry toms would be far better. I'm still not a fan of that "crunch" but i imagine they would be better than what i was imagining previously.
There really is a sweetness to them. Even a few days off the vine, they aren't quite as good. When I buy them in grocery stores, I try to buy the ones still on the vine vs the ones that were put in the plastic containers.

Try growing them in a pot...who knows, they may do well if they get enough sun.

Reactions: Captante