Its been a long time since we had a Janes Simulator

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
And in all seriousness, I would murder any one of you for a new TIE Fighter.

Probably Red Squirrel.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
A new X-Wing vs Tie Fighter would rock, but you know it would be a completely dumbed down mobile game. I thought I had read that a new Star Wars flight game was in the works, but maybe I dreamed it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Jane's WWII Fighters was one of my first PC games. It's still sitting in its jewel case on my desk. Man how I miss that game.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Jane's WWII Fighters was one of my first PC games. It's still sitting in its jewel case on my desk. Man how I miss that game.

Those games were great - my brother bought several and may still have them as well. I really enjoyed the Cold War era games back in the Commodore 64 and Amiga days - Project Stealth Fighter (later retitled F19 Stealth Fighter) was one of my favorites. Novalogic used to make some great sims as well - I remember playing Comanche vs Werewolf with my brother.

I believe I still have all of the Star Wars flight sims I bought and I’m looking at the original 1994 edition of Tie Fighter, which I still have the box, manual, and floppies. I believe that is still the most I’ve ever paid for a game - IIRC, I paid $64 after taxes at Babbages to grab one of the first copies they received. It was worth every freaking penny.

I also have an early copy of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter which had the little piece of paper inside stating how the media was mislabeled. :D

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
And in all seriousness, I would murder any one of you for a new TIE Fighter.

Probably Red Squirrel.

ROFL... Dem be fighting words here....

I would also love a TIE Fighter with VR sort of like Elite Dangerous.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Those games were great - my brother bought several and may still have them as well. I really enjoyed the Cold War era games back in the Commodore 64 and Amiga days - Project Stealth Fighter (later retitled F19 Stealth Fighter) was one of my favorites. Novalogic used to make some great sims as well - I remember playing Comanche vs Werewolf with my brother.

I believe I still have all of the Star Wars flight sims I bought and I’m looking at the original 1994 edition of Tie Fighter, which I still have the box, manual, and floppies. I believe that is still the most I’ve ever paid for a game - IIRC, I paid $64 after taxes at Babbages to grab one of the first copies they received. It was worth every freaking penny.

I also have an early copy of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter which had the little piece of paper inside stating how the media was mislabeled. :D
WWII Fighters was a blast. I was into playing F-15 Strike Eagle by Microprose on my Atari 130xe. I think I also have the star wars cartridge. All that stuff is sitting in a box in the closet.

I had forgotten about Babbages. Just looked it up and the wiki said Ross Perot was an early investor. It was an hours drive to get to the mall, Hills and David Weis. It was a big deal since we only went once or twice a year.

Reactions: IndyColtsFan

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Did none of you see Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?
thats not the same thing as TIE Fighter.
Not even close.

Having said that, it wouldn't be a bad way to kill time until Star Citizen arrives. Whenever that is.
And Star Citizen is not a great substitute for TIE Fighter either.

My complaint is Lucas Arts seems to be milking the MMO to death and occassionally spitting out a crappy lightsaber game to keep us distracted.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
thats not the same thing as TIE Fighter.
Not even close.

Having said that, it wouldn't be a bad way to kill time until Star Citizen arrives. Whenever that is.
And Star Citizen is not a great substitute for TIE Fighter either.

My complaint is Lucas Arts seems to be milking the MMO to death and occassionally spitting out a crappy lightsaber game to keep us distracted.
Agree but it's in the same vein and supporting one may lead to more new games in the genre. It's also a solid game.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Someone may have mentioned it, but DCS is what you want if you're looking for a jet sim. It's really pretty amazing. TheDevilDogGamer on YouTube occasionally will put out a DCS vid and I always enjoy it (he knows what he's doing so that makes it more interesting).

sward

Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
EVE: Valkyrie is playable on flatscreen now as well as VR - good if you're into dogfighting scifi games.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would also love a TIE Fighter with VR sort of like Elite Dangerous.

If it has controls like Elite Dangerous, then pass. Ugh. Also I'm convinced that everyone who has tried redoing TIE Fighter (yes, even XvT) simply doesn't understand what made TIE Fighter great. Stupid decisions like, hey, let's make turning speed based on velocity and hey, let's get rid of KBM gameplay . . . what the heck were they thinking?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I can't remember the last one I truly loved. I know it was the 3rd in the series (not falcon 3) and had missions where you can drop a nuke. I spent 100s of hours dropping a nuke at a low depth and trying to outrun the blast. Good times.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Someone may have mentioned it, but DCS is what you want if you're looking for a jet sim. It's really pretty amazing. TheDevilDogGamer on YouTube occasionally will put out a DCS vid and I always enjoy it (he knows what he's doing so that makes it more interesting).
Yea DCS is pretty good but usually buggy and the modules are not always complete. But it's pretty damn realistic. I've worked on the training campaigns for some of those modules. Lots of ex pilots use dcs and the hoggit community on Reddit is great too. If you're into learning and doing things by the book you will enjoy it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yea DCS is pretty good but usually buggy and the modules are not always complete. But it's pretty damn realistic. I've worked on the training campaigns for some of those modules. Lots of ex pilots use dcs and the hoggit community on Reddit is great too. If you're into learning and doing things by the book you will enjoy it.
I don't have any personal experience with it. I'll admit. But man it sure looks fun if you know what you're doing. God I'd be clueless playing that, wouldn't be able to start the dang plane. It doesn't surprise me (ex)pilots use it.

Makes me think, I've been wanting to take one of those "fly yourself" things (just an intro) at a local airport. I guess I'm just too pansy to do it. Well not so much that, just that I don't do a whole lot. I always have to do everything by myself so it kinda sucks.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't have any personal experience with it. I'll admit. But man it sure looks fun if you know what you're doing. God I'd be clueless playing that, wouldn't be able to start the dang plane. It doesn't surprise me (ex)pilots use it.

Makes me think, I've been wanting to take one of those "fly yourself" things (just an intro) at a local airport. I guess I'm just too pansy to do it. Well not so much that, just that I don't do a whole lot. I always have to do everything by myself so it kinda sucks.
I've taken a lesson at one of the local airports and my father took more classes but eventually he didn't complete it because of time constraints. I've wanted to get my license and I know enough to get going but it's expensive and the nearest school is 1hr 30 min away. But I prefer the Jets anyways. Dcs in VR is pretty much just like the Airforce flight school. I can do a full sortie with people online but I struggle with air to air refueling. In VR it's much easier to gauge though but still hardest thing you'll ever do haha.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've taken a lesson at one of the local airports and my father took more classes but eventually he didn't complete it because of time constraints. I've wanted to get my license and I know enough to get going but it's expensive and the nearest school is 1hr 30 min away. But I prefer the Jets anyways. Dcs in VR is pretty much just like the Airforce flight school. I can do a full sortie with people online but I struggle with air to air refueling. In VR it's much easier to gauge though but still hardest thing you'll ever do haha.
Yeah on that website I linked they had a little table of how much time you'd spend flying per week, how long it would take to get your private pilot license. If you only flew an hour a week it said it would take 1 - 1.5 years, which actually I thought wasn't that long. It's been something I've kinda been interested in for a while but I just haven't done anything about it.

Oh man I didn't know DCS supported VR. Man I bet that would be frickin sick.

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
DCS and IL-2 are awesome with my HP Reverb headset. Pretty much all I play these days. I wish Falcon BMS supported VR though, it is still better than DCS after all these years.