IT'S BACK 24" Soyo LCD for $299. @ Office Max is back

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

weizilla

Jun 9, 2005
i just brought mine yesterday at noon and i've been using it all day since. no dead pixels, no black lines and no green/red sparkles in divx or dvd images. however, i encounter a MAJOR problem when i play games. i've only tested bioshock and fear and it happens in both, just a lot more in bioshock. in bioshock, it seems like there's all sorts of grey squares that flash everywhere... sort of like an old-school dos game. i've posted pictures (taken with my cell phone). it looks just like the pictures only imagine everything grey is flashing

http://i231.photobucket.com/al...izilla1/1105070201.jpg
http://i231.photobucket.com/al...izilla1/1105070200.jpg

ignore the colors, it's cause i'm using a cell camera

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Try returning it for a different one. I dont think thats normal. Also, do these monitors have DVI connection?

Teetu

Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: iseestars
Originally posted by: Teetu
Originally posted by: TheNetAnalyst
My brother picked one of those up and everything looks good so far. I would be careful with an LCD monitor for $299 period since you can get better known brands for about $100 bucks more.

Thats the thing- the you have to pay more than $100 for the better known brands that don't have TN panels in them

The next nearest is $100 more and that's the Westinghouse, which looks really good, but the Soyo is supposed to blow it out of the water in terms of color quality.

So pros and con's

Soyo
pros:
$100 cheaper
Better and more correct color

cons:
bad input switching
high defect rate out of box
less reliable warranty coverage

Westinghouse:
Pros:
Better (still terrible) user interface
Lower defect rate
Better base warranty from manufacturer
tons of inputs and outputs

cons:
inconsistent color correctness
$100 more

Both kick TN panels' butts

do you remember where you read that the soyo had better color? I'm interested in the westinghouse, but if the soyo has better PQ I might jump ship. Also, does anyone know what resolutions the soyo supports? I looked on their website as well as some e-tailers and couldn't find a full list

Weizilla- did you try a different video cable? I alot of people have had problems with the cable that comes with it

weizilla

Jun 9, 2005
My brother picked one of those up and everything looks good so far. I would be careful with an LCD monitor for $299 period since you can get better known brands for about $100 bucks more.

Thats the thing- the you have to pay more than $100 for the better known brands that don't have TN panels in them

The next nearest is $100 more and that's the Westinghouse, which looks really good, but the Soyo is supposed to blow it out of the water in terms of color quality.

So pros and con's

Soyo
pros:
$100 cheaper

cons:
bad input switching

Westinghouse:
Pros:
Lower defect rate

cons:
$100 more

do you remember where you read that the soyo had better color? I'm interested in the westinghouse, but if the soyo has better PQ I might jump ship. Also, does anyone know what resolutions the soyo supports? I looked on their website as well as some e-tailers and couldn't find a full list

Weizilla- did you try a different video cable? I alot of people have had problems with the cable that comes with it

I am using the cable that came with my Dell 1905fp but I will switch to the cable that came with the monitor to see if it makes it any better. I am also going to update my nivida drivers and see if that'll make a diff along with testing on a real dvd movie. I will post results when I can.

imported_DGibFen

May 24, 2005
Has anyone else had an issue with the smell? Mine has worked great, but it leaves a rather bad smell - like burnt plastic mixed with a chemical.

Should I take it back and get another one?

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
lol I would def take it back. Probably some overheating circuits melting some plastic or something. very bad

weizilla

Jun 9, 2005
Originally posted by: DGibFen
Has anyone else had an issue with the smell? Mine has worked great, but it leaves a rather bad smell - like burnt plastic mixed with a chemical.

Should I take it back and get another one?

Mine has that too. It works great but has that same i-hope-i-don't-get-cancer smell

On my bioshock gray flashing blocks problem:
I just installed a bunch of windows hotfixes and the newest nvidia beta drivers and after 30 minutes of starting and restarting windows, no more problems :D except everything looks so good and the monitor is so big i'm too scared to play bioshock now :( and I just installed Clive Barker's Jericho too....

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Mine has a yellow line going through the middle of it. Which is odd because since its not RGB or Black. Anyone know if its a LCD defect or is my DVI cable not working well?

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005

So pros and con's

Soyo
pros:
$100 cheaper

cons:
bad input switching

Westinghouse:
Pros:
Lower defect rate

cons:
$100 more

The Westinghouse has a TON more inputs than this, and is overall better quality. Both support 1920x1200 max resolution.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
How is the viewing angle on this panel compared to a TN model? I currently have the 22-inch Dell E228 and wouldn't mind a resolution bump.

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions on software to calibrate this? I've had mine for a month, no problems, but it's so bright I've had to turn down the brightness to 10 (probably too much) and against a white background things still tend to look somewhat washed out. No problems gaming or with any artifacting of any kind though.

chilifries

Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by: weizilla
i just brought mine yesterday at noon and i've been using it all day since. no dead pixels, no black lines and no green/red sparkles in divx or dvd images. however, i encounter a MAJOR problem when i play games. i've only tested bioshock and fear and it happens in both, just a lot more in bioshock. in bioshock, it seems like there's all sorts of grey squares that flash everywhere... sort of like an old-school dos game. i've posted pictures (taken with my cell phone). it looks just like the pictures only imagine everything grey is flashing

I get this too with my westinghouse 22in LCD when I play bioshock. Oddly enough, it plays fine if I reboot my computer and immediately start bioshock. i.e. bioshock is the first app I start in windows.

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
Originally posted by: chilifries
Originally posted by: weizilla

I get this too with my westinghouse 22in LCD when I play bioshock. Oddly enough, it plays fine if I reboot my computer and immediately start bioshock. i.e. bioshock is the first app I start in windows.

I don't think that problem is due to the LCD. To me, that looks like video card corruption. Check if your video card is overheating and/or broken. Easiest way to check the LCD is to hook it up to a known working computer and run Bioschock again.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Is anyone having trouble ordering this monitor from the website? It doesn't say it's OOS, but I get an error when I try to checkout with it.

datwater

Jan 29, 2004
Finally in for one. $299 plus $30 off $150 coupon from fleabay + maine tax = $283.49 shipped. Wish me luck :)

Pyroclazm

Oct 21, 1999
Picked one up an hour ago in La Crosse WI (snagged the 2yr war), used the default DVI cable, turned it on, flawless. No dead pixels, no smell (yet, please god), no bars. Thanks for bump.

No problems and looks fantastic with CSS-TF2-The Witcher maxed 1920x1200, oh and I'm running a evga7900gt.

Thanks =]

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Severian
Anyone have any suggestions on software to calibrate this? I've had mine for a month, no problems, but it's so bright I've had to turn down the brightness to 10 (probably too much) and against a white background things still tend to look somewhat washed out. No problems gaming or with any artifacting of any kind though.

What build date do you have? I have a July '07, and it is ridiculously bright. Apparently, starting sometime in the Aug. '07 build dates, Soyo adjusted the brightness setting so it isn't so high.

I have my brightness set to 18 because that's the lowest I can go without the buzzing noise reappearing (my backlight has noticeable buzzing below 15 or above 40).

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
Mine is also July '07, and out of the box it was like staring at the sun...I'm using the settings mentioned earlier in the thread, 36 R/G/B/ contrast 55 and brightness at 25. I also found a setting in the OSD called highlight, which is available for either half of the screen or the entire screen, which was contributing to the washed-out look. Turning it off really helped things look more natural.

All in all, I absolutely love this screen. Can't beat this deal, and I haven't had any artifacting like others have posted, and I'm using the DVI cable that came with it.

OptiGrabInventor

Nov 7, 2007
I just picked one of these up in Seattle (Starbucks Center, Sodo area) this afternoon. Looks great, no dead pixels. Brighter than my Dell 2005FPW, but not offensively so. There was one more on the shelf, but the box looked like it had been opened; there was another in the re-stock area to go back on the shelf, so check carefully.

lebe0024

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Just arrived, one day after I ordered it. It's great. No problems yet. A huge upgrade from myh 19" CRT! If anybody is still on the fence, I would get it.

I received an Aug 2008 build model.

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
Originally posted by: lebe0024
Just arrived, one day after I ordered it. It's great. No problems yet. A huge upgrade from myh 19" CRT! If anybody is still on the fence, I would get it.

I received an Aug 2008 build model.

August ones are a bit iffy from what I've gathered. I wish you luck though as I love my Soyo.

Elvis2

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2001
is anyone running kvm switch w/this monitor? if so, how's it working out?
tia ;)