it's always fun to reboot your computer and find...

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
that you've been banned from your apartment complex's network. imagine my surprise when my computer loads up, i try to bring up atot and get redirected to a page that says "your account has been banned from the melrose network. please call for further assistance." and of course the company that handles their internet and network only carries regular 9-5 business hours during the week and isn't even open during the weekend. guess it's more convenient for them.

i honestly have no idea why i would be banned from the network. i haven't downloaded any movies or music -- hell, i don't even have a p2p program installed. i don't even know what else would warrent them disconnecting me. luckily i have cable (bought for the laptop since their network only allows 1 computer per person -- amazing rule there) for now.

*sigh* i should have gone out tonight

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Man, at least you're in A-town. I'm stuck here in Dallas until Sunday. Not only are most of my UT friends back there and partying it up, every single person that I know already went back to their respective colleges. Sucks major ass.

It's only 12:23. I'm sure someone has beer somewhere :0

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Your apartment complex has a network???

yes, it's a complex specifically for college students. on a large backbone of *i believe* 8 t1 lines (but i could be wrong).

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Why the hell can't people finish sentences in topics? does your brain take a vacation at the end of sentences when filling in the smaller text box?

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Install a virus scanner and trojan finder quickly

i have norton with the latest updates and zone alarm pro. and i know it's not because of a virus because i've been disconnected due to that before and it says specifically what virus/trojan it is.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

Imagine the largest apartment complex you have ever seen. Melrose is about 3x that.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Evadman
Why the hell can't people finish sentences in topics? does your brain take a vacation at the end of sentences when filling in the smaller text box?

better than a long one taking up 3 lines of space and clogging up the page
rolleye.gif

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003

There are tons of apartment buildings with networks in Ann Arbor... hell most of em are wireless!;)

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Evadman

Yes, whats wrong with that?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Someone must've found out about all that really funky pr0n you've been downloading..

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: beer
It's all DHCP
Probably blocked you by MAC address then. It would probably work if you were to plug in your laptop to the connection.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: crobusa
since their network only allows 1 computer per person
No routers? Can they tell?

they do it by specific mac address. maybe you can get around it with a router but i haven't bothered trying. i'm glad i have the cable now, though:)

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
Originally posted by: crobusa
since their network only allows 1 computer per person
No routers? Can they tell?

they do it by specific mac address. maybe you can get around it with a router but i haven't bothered trying. i'm glad i have the cable now, though:)
Sure can. Just do a MAC address clone into the router.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
On those wireless networks, you have to authenticate first. Since you have to sign in with an account that's tied to your name, they can block you that way. They can't use a WEP key cuz of all the idiots that wouldn't know how to set it, but they need to keep unauthorized uers off the network.

Or at least that's how it is set up at College Park, of similar size 30 seconds down the road from where Hdeck lives.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
tried with the laptop and it still said my account was banned. i assume they just closed off the port since any other time if i were to switch it would bring up the registration page and have me register the new mac address with their network.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
hey hdeck

I used to live at Melrose apts. Room #831 (austin, TX right?).

Actually, you are allowed to have multiple computers via a router. All you have to do is call up the network company and give them the mac address of your router. I was able to have wireless in my apt.

As to your being banned...it could be you have went over your bandwidth limit (doubtful though), or something was wrong w/ your registration, or something wrong w/ your mac address and what they have on record.

I dunno exactly though, good luck with it.