It Was Only A Matter Of Time

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
You saw it in Outbreak.

1584462057422.png

You saw it The Stand. It was even in The Crazies.

1584462169178.png

When will your turn come? Life imitates art.

Will they clearance to shoot to kill?

We are talking about an American.

A coronavirus patient refused to quarantine, so deputies are surrounding his house to force him to

A Kentucky novel coronavirus patient checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. So to prevent him from spreading the virus, officials are surrounding his house to keep him there.

The 53-year-old man in Nelson County refused to quarantine himself after testing positive for Covid-19, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said.
Nelson County officials "forced an isolation" on the man, one of the first 20 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the state. "It's a step I hoped that I'd never have to take," Beshear said in a conference on Saturday. "But I can't allow one person who we know has this virus to refuse to protect their neighbors."

Beshear didn't share then how the government had forced the unnamed man to stay in his home.
But this week, Nelson County Sheriff Ramon Pineiroa told the Kentucky Standard that deputies will park outside of the man's home for 24 hours a day for two weeks. The patient is cooperating now, Pineiroa said. When reached for comment by CNN, the Nelson County Sheriff's Department deferred all comments to Beshear.

Nelson County Judge Executive Dean Watts told CNN affiliate WDRB the measure was necessary to keep the community safe.
"This is about us, not about 'I,'" Watts said. "So quarantine is a must. If we have to, we'll do it by force."
Most state laws for imposing quarantines are fairly broad. Kentucky law gives the Cabinet for Health and Family Services the power to declare and "strictly maintain" quarantine and isolation as it sees fit, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
The federal government hasn't authorized national quarantines or isolations yet, but President Donald Trump has that power. Under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, a president can issue an executive order authorizing isolation or quarantine for several contagious diseases, including severe acute respiratory syndromes like Covid-19.

May 13, 2009
Wtf is the problem? Guy refuses to cooperate. Some idiot does not have the right to infect others because he wants to do what he wants. I say shoot this idiot if he tries to escape.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm surprised he was even allowed to check himself out. You can be charged with a crime if you knowingly infect others with a dangerous illness. Hopefully the police arrest him once he's recovered.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I'm surprised he was even allowed to check himself out. You can be charged with a crime if you knowingly infect others with a dangerous illness. Hopefully the police arrest him once he's recovered.

Seems to go against the current zeitgeist to actually reduce penalties for, if not outright decriminalizing such behavior. But then again maybe HIV is more fashionable. If we pursue the logic of the study and new California law we shouldn't be barricading this guy in his home at all since it will only encourage riskier behavior in others.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal
Jul 9, 2009
Seems to go against the current zeitgeist to actually reduce penalties for, if not outright decriminalizing such behavior. But then again maybe HIV is more fashionable. If we pursue the logic of the study and new California law we shouldn't be barricading this guy in his home at all since it will only encourage riskier behavior in others.

Sometimes the lefties get too far out in front of an issue and don't have the right talking points memorized.
Is it a civil liberty for this guy to be out exposing people to a dangerous disease?
Is the State using it's power unwisely to restrict infected citizen movements?
Another case of "orange man bad!" ?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Sometimes the lefties get too far out in front of an issue and don't have the right talking points memorized.
Is it a civil liberty for this guy to be out exposing people to a dangerous disease?

Americans have the right to be stupid. Without the Gestapo pointing guns at them.

What's next? Rail cars?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Can you name any important differences between HIV and Covid-19? :rolleyes:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Holy shit, can you please stop your Republican water carrying for five seconds? This man knowingly made himself a public health threat; it's too dangerous to simply bring him in. It's not a civil liberties issue, an abuse of power or another instance of Trump's incompetence... it's just about keeping people safe on a basic level.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Holy shit, can you please stop your Republican water carrying for five seconds? This man knowingly made himself a public health threat; it's too dangerous to simply bring him in. It's not a civil liberties issue, an abuse of power or another instance of Trump's incompetence... it's just about keeping people safe on a basic level.

The question is, is a bad bug a justification for martial law and suspension of civil rights?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The question is, is a bad bug a justification for martial law and suspension of civil rights?

There honestly is few things that are a greater danger to a civilization like ours. If not for a virus then for what?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Thank you for proving the point.

What if he wants to escape to his island? I was looking at potential exits if they ever tried to close the border, and two things they don't look at, are water and air. Lots of boats on the river, and nobody expects you to know how to fly.

Jul 9, 2009
Makes sense to me. After all it's not as if he's a citizen with certain basic civil rights and liberties protected by a Constitution. The State should be able to do anything and everything those in power choose to do.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Makes sense to me. After all it's not as if he's a citizen with certain basic civil rights and liberties protected by a Constitution. The State should be able to do anything and everything those in power choose to do.
Oh man I think someone caught the bug.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
At a minimum he must reimbursment the sheriff's dept for every nickle in manpower and resources they used to keep this total jerk in his home.