It was Affirmiitve Action, School Bussing, and Political Correctness that elected Obama.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If you are like me, over 50, you remember what America was like in the 70's.
Three very controversial things changed America to the point we elected a black man.

Affirmitive Action
When the U.S. and the states first implemented affirmitive action many Americans worked in either all white or all black busienesses. If they were integrated businesses the were still stratified with blacks restricted to certain jobs, especially ones where they didn't have to interact with whites on an equal basis. While clearly some less qualified blacks were hired and some better qualified whites were discriminated against, and there was much resentment for quite awhile. But as time went buy black and white learned to work together for the first time.

School Bussing
When it was first used the outcry was huge. In fact, it was the root of Nixons southern strategy and is the reason the South turned solidly Republican. And just like with affirmitive action it took awhile, but now its accepted that when you go to school you will interract with members of both races.

Political Correctness
This was a biggie. While many people made fun of the more extreme applications, including me, this had a huge effect on the socially acceptable racism that existed in the workplace, etc for generations. People who routinely used racial epithets at work, in the media, etc became rarer and rarer. In fact, it was the lack of overt racism that really made it hard to judge how much racism actually still existed, since it was forced from view. Apparently, when you don't hear racist remarks in public quite as much, and don't hear it from your boss, your political leaders, etc the re-inforcement is not there internally.

Now I am fully execting people to start with the instances of unfairness, the instances of absurdness in political correctness, etc.
But the RESULT of these three actions showed that if you put blacks and whites together at school and at work and socially pressure them to be respectful it actually CAN and DID change peoples attitudes.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Affirmative action and integration schooling most certainly created the diverse climate that has slowly eroded and racism and prejudice across all demographics.

Political correctness is a knee jerk over correction to attitudes and behaviors that in my opinion has also slowed progress enabled by the former two on your list. I am not talking about overt inappropriate comments in the workplace or on the streets...those are never ok...but in the name of political correctness, we have become a bit over sensitized in terms of projecting racism and prejudices into situations where they do not reside.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Mr Obama's election is the result of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, and the USSC's order to desegregate schools.

Dec 26, 2007
Techs, while I didn't like Obama (or McCain) he won it with a lot more dignity than McCain. Give it up not Techs, McCain lost. Give Obama a chance and see what he does with his presidency before you start criticizing him. If he screws up then go post away, until then please STFU about Obama winning for stupid reasons.

I believe race did play a huge factor, as well as Sarah Palin. That is another issue entirely though. Your guy lost get over it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Mr Obama's election is the result of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, and the USSC's order to desegregate schools.

That's President-Elect Obama to you, pal.:)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: 1prophet
It was the Economy Stupid.

Sorry, but up til a few years ago black trumped economy.
Even with the worst President in modern times and the worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression, America wouldn't have elected a black man without fundamental changes in peoples thinking.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: techs

Even with the worst President in modern times and the worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression, America wouldn't have elected a black man without fundamental changes in peoples thinking.

So you think one quarter of zero GDP growth, preceded by 6 years of solid (and sometimes explosive) growth, coupled with unemployment at the "full employment" level and record job creation is "the worst economy since the great depression"? Technically, aside from the past few months, this has been the best economy in the history of the world.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Techs, while I didn't like Obama (or McCain) he won it with a lot more dignity than McCain. Give it up not Techs, McCain lost. Give Obama a chance and see what he does with his presidency before you start criticizing him. If he screws up then go post away, until then please STFU about Obama winning for stupid reasons.

I believe race did play a huge factor, as well as Sarah Palin. That is another issue entirely though. Your guy lost get over it.

I vote this the moronic post of the day.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Once Obama took the nomination, the election became, in many ways, a referendum on the issue of Race, an opportunity to see just how far we've come in the last 60 years.

I'm happy to report that we've come a long ways, that your president is now available in black, too...

OTOH, I also have little doubt that Dem victory would have been somewhat larger if Obama were white...

This should be a wakeup call to repubs, given that they've blown the biggest political windfall since pearl harbor... that maybe some serious self-examination is in order.

Probably not, at least not for a while. Sarah! Sarah! Sarah! She's the future of the party, according to some, and that won't take the party anywhere but deeper into the labyrinthine bunker of denial...

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Baloney. America's been ready for a black president for years. It's been 18 years since a black man won the governorship of Virginia, which was home to the capital of the Confederacy and has generally been a red state in recent years (until this year). If a black can win a state-wide race in VA, he/she can win in most states. It's just that the black candidates offered up by the Dems in the recent past have been jokes - the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, for example. Obama was the first serious black candidate, and it's no surprise he won.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Baloney. America's been ready for a black president for years. It's been 18 years since a black man won the governorship of Virginia, which was home to the capital of the Confederacy and has generally been a red state in recent years (until this year). If a black can win a state-wide race in VA, he/she can win in most states. It's just that the black candidates offered up by the Dems in the recent past have been jokes - the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, for example. Obama was the first serious black candidate, and it's no surprise he won.

Why is America so ready for a Black Prez? Do the math. Blacks represent 12% of the US population. What % of that 12% could even be considered to make a run for the presidency.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Guys, the point he is trying to make is that there was a time where electing a black president, no matter how qualified, would have been impossible regardless of the turmoils and hardships that the country might face with exception of some whacky fatal virus that spreads through the air and only effects white people.

Yes, the econ and many other reasons played major rolls in Obama getting elected but that was more because of his position on the issues, his charisma, and the fact that he was a Dem much more than it was because he is black. He is black and the things that techs mentioned are one of the really big reasons that he even stood a chance today. If those things never existed in the past then it is very possible that Obama would not have been elected. At the end of the day, it is a great thing that we will never know for sure. This country needed things like affirmative action to get racism in check.