IT upgrades slow BART trains in San Francisco Technically, it shouldn?t have affected anything, but in reality, it did.?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

When the backup system was brought online, the network switch was overloaded, ?which wasn?t anticipated by our computer technicians,? he said.

Normally, such maintenance isn?t done during the week to avoid disrupting commuter service, Johnson said. But the backup system installation was done on Wednesday to try to stop the problems experienced earlier in the week. ?We, for some reason, decided to try and get this backup system installed? during normal commuting hours, he said. ?Technically, it shouldn?t have affected anything, but in reality, it did.?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Did you mean to post this in OT or P&N, or did you want a HT opinion on the article?

..clearly, train control is highly technical and safety sensitive. They were led to believe that the software upgrade would be seamless so they did it during rush hour and look what happened. Murphy was at work here. A shining example that best made plans don't always pan out and the unexpected may happen. If it's in the wrong form please move as necessary. :)

dkozloski

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is absolutely nothing that takes place in the Bay area that has been thought out and makes any sense to anybody. It just ain't in'em.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
"Technically, it shouldn?t have affected anything, but in reality, it did.?
Hmm, that reminds me. Gotta check and see if there are any new 03 Server updates.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
seems rather odd that you would do it during rush hour traffic, even if you think its not gonna hurt anything its best to do it at a low traffic time so that if something does go wrong less are affected. Also,i concur with the previous statement that nothing in San Francisco is previously thought out doing the to fact that people there do not have brains capable of thought =/.

dkozloski

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The original BART system was launched with the most ludicrous command system imaginable. All system commands were sent in the blind with no feedback as to response. The only way to tell if the correct switches were made was if the trains crashed together or not. Commands were sent multiple times and this was supposed to guarantee the correct results. This system launch lasted a matter of hours, the whole scheme was scrapped, and delays went on for years. This dance of the clowns continues to this day.

stelleg151

Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: dkozloski
The original BART system was launched with the most ludicrous command system imaginable. All system commands were sent in the blind with no feedback as to response. The only way to tell if the correct switches were made was if the trains crashed together or not. Commands were sent multiple times and this was supposed to guarantee the correct results. This system launch lasted a matter of hours, the whole scheme was scrapped, and delays went on for years. This dance of the clowns continues to this day.

Dear lord.... Isnt that fairly prestigous berkley school right around the corner?

dkozloski

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember walking across the campus in Berkley in the 60's to see a football game(Craig Morton was the Cal quarterback), looking at all the hippy creeps being observed by the foreign students, and hoping to hell they didn't think that all Americans were as weird as these specimans. The same situation exists to this day. I was a Navy missile technician stationed at NWS Concord, Ca. and the hippies stared at me with my short hair, clean clothes, and shiny shoes like I had two heads.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BrownTown
seems rather odd that you would do it during rush hour traffic, even if you think its not gonna hurt anything its best to do it at a low traffic time so that if something does go wrong less are affected. Also,i concur with the previous statement that nothing in San Francisco is previously thought out doing the to fact that people there do not have brains capable of thought =/.

Silicon Valley? A bunch of super-prestigious universities? Yeah...they're not capable of thought.

There are weird people in Cali, that's for sure, but there are a lot of really, really smart people too.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
That sucks.

With that said, BART trains are much more comfortable compared to the U-Bahn from HVV (Hamburger Verkehrsverbund, Hamburg transit network)