IT Unemployment Hits 'Unprecedented' Level

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Ack, I just hope the market isn't gonna be like this when I get out of school in 2007.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Don't worry, those Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 will kick in any moment now...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
FYI - Employment is always the last to recover when coming off a recession.

The deficit sucks but the rest of the economy is starting to pick up steam.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
And you know who's taking over the jobs. Let me give u a hint....Dell & MS employees overseas.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
the article points out that IT unemployment is at 6% compared to the rest of the national average of 6.2%

the article's factoid says 11.4% of IT jobs are in california. coincidently california has 11.4% of the population in america.

i'm surprised it didn't mention silicon valley's jump from 2% unemployment 3-4 years ago to 11% now.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
6% unemployment... so? that means that 1 out of 20 people doesn't have a job. Do you really think you are less qualified/intelligent than 19 out of 20 people?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
And yet every college everywhere is advertizing stuff on IT degrees, and every major company (including mine) is outsourcing everything to india. What few IT are left, are the dumb ones who can't do crap.

I think we need to piss off North Korea, and get them to nuke india. Solve 2 problems at once.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Evadman
What few IT are left, are the dumb ones who can't do crap.

I'm assuming you're not in IT, otherwise you just called yourself dumb. Given that, how are you qualified to say they can't do crap?

From my experience the only ones who are left are those who transcended the corporate monkey IT mentality.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
I've personally got it figured out. I'm going into IT myself. Gonna go to school in Canada (Or just south of the border if I can't get in because a lot of Canadian schools are absolutely anal about international students being the best of the best of the best) and then pick up an IT job with a public institution on either side of the border. School boards, DMVs, police, whatever. They can't outsource.

jimmyhaha

Platinum Member
Jan 7, 2001
Anyone notice the exchange rate of us$ drops rapidly recently ?

hmm.... sign for economy recovery or normal like those every time b4 presidential election ?

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
And yet every college everywhere is advertizing stuff on IT degrees, and every major company (including mine) is outsourcing everything to india. What few IT are left, are the dumb ones who can't do crap.

I think we need to piss off North Korea, and get them to nuke india. Solve 2 problems at once.

Major companies are also training them like in india, so once the person gets fired, they takes over. Read it on the news somewhere.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Don't worry guys, Bush will get your jobs back

Wait till you get fired and someone replaces you....or do you even have a job?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Hector13
6% unemployment... so? that means that 1 out of 20 people doesn't have a job. Do you really think you are less qualified/intelligent than 19 out of 20 people?

Wouldn't that be 5%? :confused:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i work in IT currently part time. i'd have to say the reason IT is not doing that great, is it has gotten progressively easier to work in IT over the years.

i mean with win XP, windows update, auto updating virusscanners, plug and play everything, what did you guys expect?

i work for $8.50 an hour, and i still feel like i'm not really doing much. still looking for a software development job... too bad those are all gone too though.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: hans007
i work in IT currently part time. i'd have to say the reason IT is not doing that great, is it has gotten progressively easier to work in IT over the years.

i mean with win XP, windows update, auto updating virusscanners, plug and play everything, what did you guys expect?

Ok, you just describe an entry-level technician at Best Buy, NOT the average professional IT person.

still looking for a software development job... too bad those are all gone too though.

Not even close.

As I say in every IT doomsday thread, there are plenty of jobs out there for qualified people. The ability to do what's described above is very low end, and of course your opportunities are going to be limited.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
What few IT are left, are the dumb ones who can't do crap.
I'm assuming you're not in IT, otherwise you just called yourself dumb. Given that, how are you qualified to say they can't do crap?

I am not in IT, I am the one forced to do IT's job for them because they suck. I had to call IT 2 days ago because my NT logon was revoked. (yes, my company has over 30,000 computers, all of them running NT SP6) It took me over 20 minutes to get it through the tech's head that it was NT logon, not some mainframe system login that I never use. then I get asked like 6 times if I know the password is case sensitive. I kept getting asked the same damn querstions over and over again.

The part of the company that I work for needed to pull data off of a screen and put it into another screen along with added data. IT was asked to write a program to do this in january. They billed my portion of the company a crapload of money (like the payroll of my building for a year) to do this. As of may, we did not even have a prototype.

I got pissed off, and grabbed a book, and had a prototype program written in 3 fricking days that did it for us, with the final done in a little under 2 weeks. IT was going to bill us for like 4,000 hours to write this damn thing.

So yes, at least the low to mid level IT sucks. and 99.9% of it in my company sucks. There are a few good people left, but what good they do is being nullified by the anti-work of the rest of IT.

<edit>
This is not intended as a slam towards you Descartes, just so you know. by writing that program above, I saved my building over $400k a month. when non-IT has to do IT work because IT is too stupid to do it themselves, there is a problem.