It seems selling your soul to the single highest bidder is a bad idea

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
EA has really wasted a golden opportunity with the Star Wars license. From the article they have exclusivity until 2023 but that really means 1 or 2 more titles under the SW brand before the deal expires.

Hopefully Disney takes a smarter approach with the whole Enterprise with a return to the multi-genre games of the past. With any luck, maybe they'll do more than just Star Wars as well.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So what happen with LucasArts anyway? They did had some very goods back in the day.
Well the few ones I can recall playing.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Disney killed off everything but the name in the acquisition. They preferred to liscense stuff to top bidder and just take in a percent from there instead of continuing to develop and manage the properties in house.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So what happen with LucasArts anyway? They did had some very goods back in the day.
Well the few ones I can recall playing.

LucasArts was already moribund by the time Disney acquired the LucasFilm properties. There was no reason for Disney to keep them afloat. Take a look at their games list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

Note who were the developers (not publishers) in the last 7 years of the company. You had Star Wars: Republic Commando, Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Lucidity, Monkey Island 2: Special Edition, and Star Wars 1313 as titles coming exclusively from the Lucas dev studio. Everything had already been farmed out to other developers. In LucasArts' heyday, they actually made and published their own titles. The last time they actually released one of their own Star Wars titles was 2005, and the last new; original property they released was Lucidity. Star Wars 1313 didn't make it out of the development stage (and I honestly wonder who was working on that title anyway; was it really LucasArts?).

It had become nothing more than a licensing house. They farmed out IP to other developers, put the LucasArts logo on it, and shipped it. Done deal. They may have something to do with the Force Unleashed titles on the development side, but I doubt it was much.

Reactions: esquared

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Good grief, if I was a game company I would develop the games in house and keep a crack development team so I could release decent games, especially those that are groundbreaking titles.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
LucasArts was already moribund by the time Disney acquired the LucasFilm properties. There was no reason for Disney to keep them afloat. Take a look at their games list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

Note who were the developers (not publishers) in the last 7 years of the company. You had Star Wars: Republic Commando, Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Lucidity, Monkey Island 2: Special Edition, and Star Wars 1313 as titles coming exclusively from the Lucas dev studio. Everything had already been farmed out to other developers. In LucasArts' heyday, they actually made and published their own titles. The last time they actually released one of their own Star Wars titles was 2005, and the last new; original property they released was Lucidity. Star Wars 1313 didn't make it out of the development stage (and I honestly wonder who was working on that title anyway; was it really LucasArts?).

It had become nothing more than a licensing house. They farmed out IP to other developers, put the LucasArts logo on it, and shipped it. Done deal. They may have something to do with the Force Unleashed titles on the development side, but I doubt it was much.

Commando was a very good game that had no Jedi focus. In that regard, it would probably deserve an even higher rank. People love the Monkey titles. And from what was shown, there was pure shock that 1313 was essentially erased from existence.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Commando was a very good game that had no Jedi focus.

Never played it, but you may well be right. Regardless, LucasArts never bothered following up on it or releasing any more in-house Star Wars titles.

People love the Monkey titles.

Sadly, the last two Monkey Island releases were remasters. They didn't release anything new. It's nice that they kept the franchise alive for awhile longer though.

I'm still wondering what Lucidity was. I only heard about it a few hours ago.

And from what was shown, there was pure shock that 1313 was essentially erased from existence.

That caused a stir not too long ago.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
tbh i dont see the SW franchise as something i can get invested in anymore. Prequels, Sequels, Special edition, it's like they set out on purpose to destroy SW by making films as awful as they can be made.
The various P2W Battlefront etc don't help either.
I dont suppose you have a time machine, that can bring me back to the days of XWing and TIE Fighter ?

Reactions: ArenCordial

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
tbh i dont see the SW franchise as something i can get invested in anymore. Prequels, Sequels, Special edition, it's like they set out on purpose to destroy SW by making films as awful as they can be made.
The various P2W Battlefront etc don't help either.
I dont suppose you have a time machine, that can bring me back to the days of XWing and TIE Fighter ?

I would have agreed, but the Mandalorian has renewed my love of Star Wars.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
God I hope this opens up some solid RPG opportunities in the vein if the KOTOR games.

Maybe MS can grab a license for it's newly acquired game studios and we can get some SW RPG goodness out of Obsidian and some "Dark Forces" FPS goodness out of one of iD's subsidiaries...

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I would have agreed, but the Mandalorian has renewed my love of Star Wars.

- I have taken to sort of pretending that the sequel trilogy just didn't happen. Most other SW media is fun and consumable and doesn't fall apart if you take three seconds to actually think about it.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
I'm ok with story driven games without the prison of multiplayer cash grab, but I'm even more in for something like Empire at War 2.

Because when I read statements like this:
“This is something that is purely corporate. I don’t have details, but EA has the licence to do all Star Wars games and they seem focused on making a few titles at a very high quality bar. So, they are using all their available resources to that end, which means that if you’re not into FPS, it’s not currently a priority.

“We (Petroglyph) have reached out to them a few times to see if they would be interested in contracting us to build an Empire at War II at the same quality level as their other Star Wars FPS titles, but nothing has resulted from that (yet).”
-I honestly lose all hope on current AAA game development. If very high quality bar turns out to be what they released to date… surely high graphics bar, not much else to note.

Also I'm not that interested in yet another first person game unless it's something vaguely resembling 1313 concepts, or the current Mandalorian trend.
The SW setting is galaxy level of big and spans forever in time, let us explore it.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would love an Empire at War 2.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow, I just checked steam, and apparently EAW gold pack had an update today, Jan 14! Talk about some long term game support. Good stuff.