It' s time to be B-b-b-b-b-Bold

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So you're saying, my two-or-three-a-day energy drink habit, might be behind my severe wheezing? (I don't / never smoked. Except for a few tokes of MJ in my 20s, which did nothing for me.)
It's certainly not good for you regardless. Are you constantly tired? Have you been checked for sleep apnea?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Most energy-drinks are just terrible for you.... nobody should drink them. :(

If you need caffeine drink tea or coffee. (and if that's not potent enough buy some dark-chocolate coated coffee-beans and eat like 2-3 of them as well!)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The one time and only one time i took too much niacin, I had this insane flush where i felt like i was on fire. no bueno.
Niacin (B3) opens up the capillaries (it's why you feel and look flushed) and releases histamine. I took a time-released one in a closed setting. It was awful (for me). I never felt itchier. I took a hot shower trying to make it go away. Made it even worse. I never wanted to take Niacin again. LOL

Reactions: waffleironhead
Jul 27, 2020
B3 megadoses can also worsen glucose control. However, up to 1500mg may help to reduce lipids without too much adverse impact on glucose levels.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niacin , it seems that doctors may give up to 3000mg to patients which would be bad for their glucose levels.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I took another B1 megadose today--after a B2 megadose. I did feel "sustained" and crashed hard about 4-5 hours later. Felt bad today because mom woke me up around 2:40 am and that screwed up everything in my neck. I don't think I noticed the B2 though, except for its urine color.

I megadosed on B6 last night and maaybe I have become a bit more temperature resistant(I hate the cold).

Jul 27, 2020
Drink lots of water to piss out the excess B's. You don't want them loitering around in your blood, feeding baby cancer cells.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Try this one: https://jarrow.com/products/methyl-b-12-methyl-folate-lemon-100-chewable-tablets

These are supposed to be superior forms of B6/9/12. You might feel something different.
Given my blood levels were slightly above reference range when I landed in the hospital(18.0 whatever-was-the-units), I don't see the need to supplement any form of folate. I was eating some fig bars daily(now stopped). Sometimes a couple, sometimes 8, plus an orange and nut butters.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I attempted to supplement the full complex minus B7, B9 and B12(don't need the 9 or the 12, B7 not relevant) plus alpha lipoic acid yesterday.

Worked quite well, as I needed no more fatigue as there's a lot writing I'm doing on something and I feel good. No thiamine crash because all the coenzymes were in excess rather than just B1. I did wake up the muscles respond slightly weird, but it went away.

Just learned a bit from Medicosis Perfectionalis.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
May improve glucose uptake.

It may deplete biotin though so you may need to supplement that.
I don't think really I felt much different for the two hours I let the alpha-lipoic act alone.
I do eat eggs, fish, meat, so I get biotin.

Jul 27, 2020
Any recent experimentation and interesting results?

You should try 5 mg of melatonin (I would recommend no more than twice a week). Gives you seriously vivid, multi colored dreams.

Jul 27, 2020
I've been using 600mg alpha lipoic acid for close to 7 years.
Interesting. I've used both normal and R-lipoic acid. It may have some effect on my body chemistry but not enough for me to notice it. Though I didn't know until a few minutes ago that it is better to take it on an empty stomach so maybe that's the reason the effect wasn't pronounced for me.

I once had 1200mg Alpha Lipoic acid plus 1000mg of Acetyl L-carnitine. That was scary. My vision became extra sharp. Since these two can send cells into overdrive, I never tried it again. Don't want my retinal cells burning out from working too fast.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I kinda missed out on Jolt, but I know about Mtn Dew. Surge was also cool. These days I prefer sweet tea though as it is healthier than soda.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
At one point I was feeling a bit mentally groggy, decided to start taking a B1 supplement. 250mg thiamine mononitrate. It worked well, more mental clarity, but after 2-3 days, must've built up, started having anxiety, near attack levels.

It was not similar to the stimulation from caffeine/etc which do not cause me any anxiety in my regular daily dose of a couple cups of coffee, and tea in summer. There was no crash from the B1, quite the opposite, harder to sleep.

Stopped taking that B1, switched to a B-100 multi with 100mg thiamine HCL, every other day. I've been contemplating further dialing that back, seems like the lower dose still interferes with getting to sleep. I'm not one to take yet another suppliment to try to counter the first one, so not going with melatonin or other options.

It's also more of a seasonal thing, I get a lot more exercise in spring through fall and sleep better. It may also be the shorter winter days and colder hue of LED lighting, including a larger computer monitor, are messing with my sleep patterns, that it's just the cumulative effect but there's no mistaking the sudden change in anxiety I had when I was taking the 250mg thiamine mononitrate daily. It wasn't social/situational anxiety... no triggers involved.

Megadoses of niacin feel to me more like a flush combined with a mild sunburn, affects me only for a half hour or less but only certain forms or doses of niacin. The 100mg niacinamide in my B-100 complex, doesn't cause that at all.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
I'm not one to take yet another suppliment to try to counter the first one, so not going with melatonin or other options.
Magnesium can help with sleep. Take it before bed time with milk. It can be any type except Mg Citrate. That one's for short term bowel movement and can be habit forming if used too long. Then without it, you get constipation.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I already take magnesium, and it is Mg Citrate... but some formulation (trimagnesium dicitrate??, I forget the details) that is not a water soluble salt and doesn't act nearly as much as a laxative. It did help with sleep slightly, (or was just the placebo effect?) but nowhere near as much as cutting back on B1.

I don't eat many fortified grains... occasional white/etc bread but I'm very much into whole grains as far as oats, rice, wheat (as long as no extra sugar which is a disturbing tread) chia seeds, quinoa etc... but whatever you do, do not get hulless barley. That's not barley, that's livestock feed!

Last edited: