It REALLY hurts when I swallow...

schizoid

Banned
May 27, 2000
I think I'm getting sick. :(

I otherwise feel fine (no fever, no aches, or whatever...) but it really hurts when I swallow.

Someone fix.

Thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: shortylickens

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
guess you'll have to switch to spitting for a few days

;) That was too easy, you know someone was going to say it

schizoid

Banned
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Azraele
Gargle salt water.

Yeah...I tried that. But I had, like, a solid drip (like, not a drip, it felt like a solid lump) in my throat, and whenever I throw my head back I gag.

Not fun times.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
white spots in the back of your throat means you have strep throat. If you go to the Doctor they'll give you some antibiotics and it'll be gone in a few days.

Reactions: shortylickens

schizoid

Banned
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: HiTek21
white spots in the back of your throat means you have strep throat. If you go to the Doctor they'll give you some antibiotics and it'll be gone in a few days.

Hmm.

I think, for now, I'm gonna get some elephant tranquilizer so I can swallow without wincing.

I gotta get back to work. ;)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
guess you'll have to switch to spitting for a few days

;) That was too easy, you know someone was going to say it

yep, that's what I came here to post.

But, seriously, if you have a sore throat for more than a couple of days, time to see a doctor. White puffy spots in the throat are a sign of strept throat... needs antibiotics. Temporary relief: gargle with fairly strong salt water about once an hour... the salt water will help to dry out/decrease the swelling of the glands in your throat, and thus ease the pain.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: schizoid
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Do you have white dots on the back of your throat?

I can't really tell. What would it mean if I did?

I thought it might be an innuendo, but alas, I appear to have been fooled.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
I've got the same thing :( Seems to be just a cold...Wintergreen Sucrets are helping greatly.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Do you have white dots on the back of your throat?

I can't really tell. What would it mean if I did?

It means the load is still sitting there. You need to wash it down...

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
I think I'm getting sick. :(

I otherwise feel fine (no fever, no aches, or whatever...) but it really hurts when I swallow.

Someone fix.

Thanks.

I just got over this. Wait till you need to yawn and experience the real pain of this sickness. And If you arent having any aches and fevers you probably will. The worst night I had ever had in my entire life was sleeping the first day my throat started to hurt when I had this.
Night started out freezing. couldnt get warm for like 2 hours. Then I couldnt cool down. I think I got about 5 minutes of sleep. And I felt like sh!t the next day. Have fun!

-Xionide

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: HiTek21

Hmm.

I think, for now, I'm gonna get some elephant tranquilizer so I can swallow without wincing.

I gotta get back to work. ;)

And you better not be someone who works with me who I don't realize posts on ATOT, cause if I catch it from you, I'm going to smack you upside the head.

May 31, 2001
Get some apple cider vinegar, mix with hot water, drink slowly. Can also be gargled with to kill the germs, but since you mentioned you can't gargle, this also works.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
I've had that so bad, where it made my eyes water just to swallow. I'd suggest gargling with hydrogen peroxide (just hold your nose and rinse your mouth right after and you'll never taste it)...

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
I just got over having the same thing:

1. if the pain is unbearable you might get a prescription for a steroid, such as Vicatin
2. gargle with warm salt water 4 times a day
3. drink juice and water as much as possible, say 10-12 glasses a day, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS (a dry throat hurts more)
4. don't drink beer or drive if you're taking Vicatin :)

schizoid

Banned
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: TJN23
I just got over having the same thing:

1. if the pain is unbearable you might get a prescription for a steroid, such as Vicatin
2. gargle with warm salt water 4 times a day
3. drink juice and water as much as possible, say 10-12 glasses a day, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS (a dry throat hurts more)
4. don't drink beer or drive if you're taking Vicatin :)

Hopefully some cloraseptic will make it feel a little better...but you know how you sorta brace your body to sit on something cold (that you know is cold)? That's what I have to do every time I swallow (except for yawns which are involuntary). I have to like, brace mysellf, swallow, then wince. It's fun times. The crappy thing is, I feel fine, otherwise. No fever, no nothing.

I might try gargling again, seeing as the decongestant I took killed the lump/drip.

Sigh.

Being sick blows. :brokenheart:

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Zinc (Cold-Eeze)
Garlic
L-lysine
Echinacea
Chicken soup
Increase water consumption

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
i hope its not mono. i dont think it is though :p

when i had mono my throat was so closed up that i would take a TINY sip of water and choke on it. they gave me vicodin, it didnt help. if you happen to know anyone with percoset or can get some from the doctor, i would suggest that.

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: caitlion
i hope its not mono. i dont think it is though :p

when i had mono my throat was so closed up that i would take a TINY sip of water and choke on it. they gave me vicodin, it didnt help. if you happen to know anyone with percoset or can get some from the doctor, i would suggest that.

Vicodin and percocet are narcotic analgesics (painkillers).

A sore throat may be due to a variety of causes. Some etiologies are strep, mono, gonorrhea or most commonly, viral respiratory infection. If it's viral respiratory infection, it'll clear by itself in a few days. Just drink lots of fluids. If your lymph nodes are swollen, you have a fever or your symptoms get worse, definitely see a doctor.

Heck, when in doubt, consult a physician.

Disclaimer: the above should not be construed as medical advice. It is for entertainment purposes only.

matthew.thornby

Jun 25, 2022
I MAY HAVE A SOLUTION!!

Hey, to everyone who has experienced this, I would randomly get this out of, what I thought was, no where and would keep me up all night even went A&E the first time after speaking to a doctor and couldn't receive any help.

What I have found works every time to INSTANTLY relieve the pain is tuck your chin to your chest and force a yawn, if you can't then a big deep breath but with your jaw locked like a yawn, no idea why but it seems to work...

If it doesn't then I'm guessing it's not the same thing but I hope this reply will still help people.

I all so find the same thing cause (tucking and yawning) seems to cause the pain in the first place, so just be aware of when lying down with your head propped right up that you don't yawn 😁