• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

It looks like Valve's push into Linux is moving right along

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Desktops are not going away for a very long time, if ever. There is a huge number of companies that don't even issue laptops yet, and you want them to adopt tablets? Not going to happen.

(I'm typing this on a Dell desktop running an E7500 with 2 gig of memory and Windows XP.)
You are comparing workstations to a home computer, they are not in the same category.

This coming holiday season will tell the tale for home computer use. Will people buy more tablets, laptops or desktops?

As people buy tablets, they are being exposed to non-microsoft operating systems.

Once we see a certain percentage of the population being exposed to non-microsoft operating systems, we should see more people open up to linux.

I see tablets and smart phones as a stepping stone to people abandoning windows for home use.

As more people abandon windows, this leaves the door open to linux, and Valve wants to be there to fill that gaming need.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Once we see a certain percentage of the population being exposed to non-microsoft operating systems, we should see more people open up to linux.

I see tablets and smart phones as a stepping stone to people abandoning windows for home use.
I disagree, people treat tablets like appliances. They aim for simplicity with no user control at all. If a program does not work when they hit the icon for that program they simply do not use that program (most don't even bother uninstalling it).

No one ever said that you are used to a DVD player that is not running windows, so you are already open to another OS. People don't think of the tablet and the OS being separate things.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Until the games themselves are actually Linux compatible Steam being Linux compatible really isn't going to be that significant.
Unity engine works on linux. So does Source now. CryEngine is compatible but was never released. Same with Unreal.
Sounds good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KeithP PC Games 9

ASK THE COMMUNITY